+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Default Domain Profiles in Technical; Hi all, I know you can setup a default domain profile by copying a local template user up the the ...

Thank Post

Default Domain Profiles

Hi all, I know you can setup a default domain profile by copying a local template user up the the "Default User" folder in Netlogon but is it possible to have multiple default user templates that are applied for different groups?

Would like to have setup one default profile for when new pupils are created and one default profile for when teachers are created?

I guess I could store two templates on the server and just move each one into the Netlogon folder when creating the users but would be nicer to do this if possible?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I would day that the short answer is no, but that you may be able to achieve what you want in other ways. What customizations are you putting in the Default User profile that differ between staff and students?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply. There is a few bits like the way office applications are presented, its not a necessity just someone once said it could be done but I cant see a way of doing it so was looking to see if anyone had the answer.

Thank Post
    As you may know, most Office settings can be configured via Group Policy. You would have to customize shortcuts with scripts. You can also use the Office Resource Kit (I'm assuming this still exists for Office 2007/2010) and export/import Office user settings. To use this you would set up a template account, make the changes you wanted and then use the Office Resource Kit tools to export the Office settings. You would then need to contrive a logon script which runs once only which imports the appropriate set of Office settings. Having written all that, I can see why you were looking for a simpler way to do it!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    You can also use the Office Resource Kit (I'm assuming this still exists for Office 2007/2010) and export/import Office user settings.
    For Office 2007 & 2010 you would use the built-in Office Customization Tool (via the "Setup.exe /admin" command). Depending upon exactly what you need to do, you would either use this tool or the included ADM/ADMX templates using Group Policy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    For Office 2007 & 2010 you would use the built-in Office Customization Tool (via the "Setup.exe /admin" command). Depending upon exactly what you need to do, you would either use this tool or the included ADM/ADMX templates using Group Policy.
    Alas, I have no 2K7/2010 expertise. Does the 'Setup.exe /admin' route allow you to export/import an arbitrary bunch of settings?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    It does. There's a good overview of what you can do here...

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deploym...ore-deployment

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread