+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Mapped Home Drives in School, But not for home in Technical; Hi, In school we have some laptops that we want to give to staff but as their my documents are ...
    Thank Post

Mapped Home Drives in School, But not for home

Hi,

In school we have some laptops that we want to give to staff but as their my documents are mapped as N: drive, when they go home and login using local profiles, so what i would like to know is how your staff laptops are attached to the domain in school and have roaming profiles, but away from home still work, and then all work created at home is synced back to the school network once back in school??

Regards

Thank Post
    Are you trying to get all files that have been created/modified at home to sync with N:\ once they connect to the network within school? I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to ask. If you could expand a little, that would be great.

Thank Post
    Hi Sven, sorry that post was alittle rushed, what you posted is what i would like to do yes, but the problem i have is, the moment staff take the laptops away from school, the N: drive, there mapped home folder is unaccessable, so they have to save to a usb pen, as C Drive is hidden away.

What id like them to be able to do is simply save in there my documents away from school. Hope that is alittle clearer?

Regards

Thank Post
    Well what we do, is we obviously hide the C:\ drive from all students using group policy. The staff on the other hand, don't have the drive hidden, although we do restrict them from installing anything on them. This way staff can save anything they want onto the laptops, then when they come back into school and connect it back onto the domain, they can access all of their mapped networks drives that are assigned on logon.

Thank Post
    We have one logon for staff. When they take the laptop home thier credentials are cached. We use folder synchronisation for the My Docs folder so even when the laptop is at home they appear to have an N drive but the files are synced. We tried locking down the laptops and did not allow local admin rights but when a flood of issues came back relating to installing home broadband (which on some require local admin rights) I had to relent and give them it.

Thank Post
    As above, but we relax group policy so that they can add wireless connections and turn the proxy in IE on and off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    we do the same as jsnetman using the built in offline files in windows xp (link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...linefiles.mspx). I have a script that i plonk in the startup folder which ask's are you at school with yes or no and then depending on the answer either enable or disables the proxy.

I do have to say it can be a pain in the backside sometimes especially when it doesn't want to sync!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread