Just had this slip through my WSUS Server
NOw affecting a number of PCs in the school
Suggest everyone checks their WSUS Servers andf decline it
More info here - TJB-TS: Microsoft Browser Choice update, Prevent Browser Choice running on startup and WSUS
Have also added the URL to our Smoothwall filter to prevent further "infection"
what classification does is come under?
Not sure - I did a search for "Browser Choice" in WSUS
Found it - its under Update Rollups... KB976002
Also, here is how to remove it from your PC..
To uninstall 976002:
1. Go to C:Windows\Servicing\Packages
2. Find the two .mum files relating to KB 976002
3. Take ownership of them, give yourself full control
4. Open Control Panel, programs, Installed Updates
5. Find KB 976002 and right click, Uninstall is not available. Important: Do not close this window, to avoid re-verification of the checksum of the .mum files.
6. Go back to the two .mum files for 976002. Edit them both with notepad, change Permanance=”Permanent” to Permanence=”Removable”
7. Go back to the Installed updates list, hit F5, right click KB 976002. Uninstall is now available.
8. Uninstall the update (if you want to be double-careful, monitor with sysinternals process monitor).
9. Reinstate the two keys which the uninstall removes
10. Reboot the PC
11. Run the 947821 update to verify the component store
12. Go to WU, check for updates, hide the 976002 update
DISCLAIMER: I take absolutely NO responibilty for any damge that may be caused by the above.. you do it at your own risk!
Thanks for the heads up. I've just imported this update through Microsoft's catalog and I've not yet approved nor declined it.
I imported it through the catalogue 4 weeks ago and declined it then.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)