+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Half Way Through Setting Up A Terminal Server And Stuck! in Technical; Originally Posted by dhicks Is the Sims share (S drive?) slow to connect? What does the message say? You probably ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Is the Sims share (S drive?) slow to connect?

What does the message say? You probably need to make sure you have a TS licensing server on your network - we have a separate Windows-based applications server that I set up for this, I don't know if it's a good idea to use your Domain Controller.
    --
    David Hicks
    Thats what i thought, hence putting a batch file together to run a 5 second sleep command and it works fine now, even used the cmd window to display a welcome message and simple instructions.

I cant actually get the message up now, but i think its about being unable to contact a TS licensing server. We dont have one setup on our network but like i said i know pretty much nothing about them or what im expected to put in place. Im assuming i install TS licensing server (as a role) on a server? and then purchase some sort of licenses for the number of users ill be having connect to the TS concurrently, that right? Any ball park figures for what kind of costing i'm going to be hit with for this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you need to install the TS Licensing server as a role on a server. Then you buy TS Cals. If you're on Schools Agreement, they come in at a couple of quid each. On Select they come in at about a fiver or so each IIRC.

Thank Post
    sorry to be a pain, but exactly what type of licenses do i want as ive had a look and see there are device, user and external connector licenses available. Also where can i purchase them usually?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    sorry to be a pain, but exactly what type of licenses do i want as ive had a look and see there are device, user and external connector licenses available. Also where can i purchase them usually?
    It depends on your needs. You shouldn't need external connector licenses, AFAIK - these are usually related to allowing people who aren't employed by your 'business' to use your systems. The main choice depends on how you're going to have users connecting. If you've got 600 users and they're going to be connecting via 100 fixed devices, device cals are best choice. Whereas, if you've got 600 users, and they could be connecting via any of 10,000 devices, user cals are your choice.

Thank Post
    well initially on this TS ive only allowed 10 concurrent connections and the connections will be from school owned staff laptops from their homes. But it sounds like you are saying i'll need a license for every member of staff with a school laptop, regardless of how many concurrent connections are allowed on the TS?

Just thinking, is this any different to me and my colleagues using RDP to connect to manage servers etc? should we not have some sort of licensing in place already to allows us to do that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TS licensing works by people using the server, not by concurrancy. ie. even if you only ever have 10 people connected, if it is actually 100 devices or 100 users then you need 100 device CALs or 100 user CALs.

On the admin RDP - 2003 server comes with 2 built in licenses to allow remote administration of a server.

Thank Post
    ok thansk for clearing that up, so i want a "User CAL" for every member of staff with a laptop. Any suggestions on where to purchase from so i can see how much damage this is going to make on my budget?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I use Academia.co.uk, but there are plenty of them. Such as Insight UK, European Electronique, Pugh, Ramsys etc...

Thank Post
    cheers i'll get some quotes once i know what numbers i'll be wanting.

thanks for all your help.

Thank Post
    Im assuming i install TS licensing server (as a role) on a server?
    Yep, just run the Windows Server "configure your server" wizard, it's dead easy. I seem to remember the TS license server gives you about 90 days grace to check you've got everything working correctly before it stops working, so you can run a few tests and make sure things are working okay before you go spending money. I seem to remember TS CALs costing us around £30 each, but we're a private school and often wind up paying more for stuff like that.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    out of interest, i've got it setup and its working, without a TS license server running. So will that still be the case after a certain amount of days or not?

My plan was to leave it as it is for now, test it on a few users from home and if all goes well, install the license server on our app server and purchase the licenses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    out of interest, i've got it setup and its working, without a TS license server running. So will that still be the case after a certain amount of days or not?

My plan was to leave it as it is for now, test it on a few users from home and if all goes well, install the license server on our app server and purchase the licenses.
    Yep, it'll continue to work for 120 days from first install. After that time, install a license server, and you gain a further '90 day' temporary token period.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

farquea (26th April 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12