+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Profiles in Technical; What is the spec of server/workstation/network, how big are your mandatory profiles, and what is the loading speed? I am ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries

Profiles

What is the spec of server/workstation/network, how big are your mandatory profiles, and what is the loading speed?

I am curious to see what others have.

Server is dual quad core xeon, 8GB Ram (expanding to 16GB VERY soon), Server 2k8r2
    Workstation is core2duo, 2GB Ram (expanding to 3 in the near future), Windows 7.
    Suites are wireless using ruckus.

Mandatory profiles are 2.91mb, loading time is around 30-45 seconds (although I think it could be quicker if I turn the backgrounds off).
    Last edited by nephilim; 2nd April 2010 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Server is a blade with a quad clocked at 2.6Ghz with 3GB RAM. This is also our primary DC running Server 2003 R2 Ent x86.

The profiles are around 8MB, but I plan to drop that down further with some folder redirections during the summer. At the moment they are in the intermediate phase from full roaming, to mandatory, to super mandatory.

At the moment only one year group is set as a super man, haven't seen any real difference. I've set one of our IT rooms to remove profiles on logoff, but I only did this yesterday, so the jury's still out.

What I do know for sure is when a machine has over 100 local profiles cached, it doesn't half slow the damn thing down. I'm planning to run a shutdown script to remove all the local profiles, and then set the GPO to remove at logoff.

When we had full roaming with Ranger, this was the main reason why we re-imaged all 500 machines each summer - to clear the profiles!

With a working WSUS solution, and software being deployed via AD and manually when required I hope to avoid en-mass re-ghosting this year.

Clients are all XP SP3.

Logon time varies, but if the PC is new on a gig link directly into a core switch it can take as little as 15 seconds. If the PC is old, and plugged into an old 100MB switch which is then daisy chained to our core, it can take up to 2-3 minutes. If it's on the wireless and you have 15 students all trying to logon via the same AP, even with Ruckus working frantically to re-route the traffic it can sometimes take over 5 minutes. Our teachers are very good, and know to try and stagger logon times.

Back in the old days when we had an unmanaged wireless system, with Ranger kicking in and full roaming profiles logon times on the wireless could take up to 15 minutes.

Obviously the state of the local machine and network conditions at the time can vary logon times hugely.

3. Thanks to Trapper from:

nephilim (2nd April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What script do you use to remove the local profiles? Is there one to remove roaming profiles too?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    What script do you use to remove the local profiles? Is there one to remove roaming profiles too?
    I use the script from theshonkproject.com - The Shonk Project - Delete Profiles Script v1.9 which works an absolute treat. I deploy this in it's own GPO which is on shutdown of the machine. I deploy this out to the machine level gpos.

In the same GPO, to give it something else to delete profiles with, I have whacked the msi of http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en in.

Works really well.

6. Thanks to rh91uk from:

nephilim (2nd April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Much appreciated, I'll do that when I am back (or if I dial in over the hols). I am going to also remove the linking of my documents and have shared drives back I think. The boss wanted my documents as it was "easier" for her to remember, but the ict coordinator and myself advised against it...time to put the foot down and tell her how bad it's affecting the login times.

Thank Post
    Are your My Documents store in their roaming profile?

Why not move them to a share and use folder redirection or is this what your planning to do and i've misunderstood? :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are a redirected share already, but I can't stop it syncing with my documents on the C:\ for each profile so logins are getting rediulous as everything is duplicated. If it goes back to just shares, I am certain it will be quicker!

Thank Post
    They are a redirected share already, but I can't stop it syncing with my documents on the C:\ for each profile so logins are getting rediulous as everything is duplicated. If it goes back to just shares, I am certain it will be quicker!
    sync can be turned of as a per machine and per user settings personally i turn it off domain wide as docs are all stored on server though ive seen systems set up where its set to sync a network drive with a network drive

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I might be having crazy thoughts here but:
    Try mapping a drive (Example H: to \\server\share\whatever\%username%\) then point your My doc's folder to the drive, and make sure offline files is turned off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have done that snake, but Windows 7 wont let me turn the sync off with the C:\, something to do with the libraries, however when I go in I will set up a test area, duplicate the GPO and have the my documents turned off, and set the share up to do like a mapped drive...see how that works out

Thank Post
    Offline files can be turned off, like Sted I turn it off through group policy. Make sure you pick the right policies and reboot a couple of time on the client for it to "take". We found although the policy was set only giving it one reboot prior to Deep Freezing the box still had offline files active. It required us to reboot one more time unfrozen to stop the syncing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread