+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Deploying Sophos in Technical; Trying to move Sophos to a new server, using Enterprise Console 3 & Anti Virus 7. I know they arnt ...

Thank Post

Deploying Sophos

Trying to move Sophos to a new server, using Enterprise Console 3 & Anti Virus 7. I know they arnt the latest versions but they are the latest available from our LEA.

Deploying to desktops via the console is fine, because I know they're likely to be on during the day. However laptops is a different story.

There seems to be an option for adding new computers as they are created, but not one for installing on a machine as it comes online?

We used to use a simple startup script which checked for the existance of Sophos on a client, and if not found it would install it from the InterChk share on the server. But this method, although giving the client a working Sophos install, which updated from the right place, does not make it appear in the enterprise console.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    There is a method to force the sophos install from that location to register with the console too ..

give me a couple of minutes and I'll dig it out!

Thank Post
    Ah ha! that was faster than I thought I'd find it!

Code:
    ::Install Sophos
    ECHO Install Sophos from Server
    "\\SERVERNAME\InterChk\ESXP\Setup.exe" -updp "\\SERVERNAME\InterChk\ESXP" -user "emanager" -pwd "EMANAGERPWD" -mng yes
    I have that in a BAT file that does the work.

4. Thanks to soveryapt from:

projector1 (10th August 2010)

Thank Post
    That works (it looks similar to what we used to use) but it will not appear in the console for some reason
    Same as before.

Ive waited an hour or so and the computer I tested it on is still just showing as grey in the console

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    That works (it looks similar to what we used to use) but it will not appear in the console for some reason
    Same as before.

Ive waited an hour or so and the computer I tested it on is still just showing as grey in the console
    have you tried syncing sophos with ad then any ad computer accounts should show in sophos

Thank Post
    Same as before.

All I can suggest there is to double check your emanager passwords (make sure that you've got the right password and even account if you don't use the emanager set up as I do)

Thank Post
    Also just to add aswell have you tried looking in the event log aswell to see if the password or the sharename is incorrect

Thank Post
    I know the password is right - its the same username/password I use to protect computers manually in the console. Also, if it wasnt right, the application wouldnt install surely?

sted - yeah Ive done the sync, but it just shows all computers greyed out (ie not having sophos installed) until i protect them

Thank Post
    I know the password is right - its the same username/password I use to protect computers manually in the console. Also, if it wasnt right, the application wouldnt install surely?
    It would still install, it just wouldn't connect to the console correctly as that last bit of the script is the console element of it. It may fall over, but on mine when I got the password wrong it still installed it (I put the password in for another school .. DOH!)

Erm, I can't think of what else it could be.. Try giving the Sophos Knowledge Base a search, it's helped me out in the past..

Thank Post
    Have you tried going to the computer in question and running the setup from the shared INTERCHK folder? I've had to do that on a few machines for it to register in Enterprise Console.

Thank Post
    Have you rebooted the client since you installed it? My colleague has dealt with all the deployment of our new version here when we moved to another server, and I think he said they don't show up until a reboot?

Peter

Thank Post
    Having a problem deploying the new Sophos automatically...

Due to a bitter experience a couple of christmas's ago, we try to run with Windows firewalls up on as many workstations as possible, with exceptions configured by GPO for programs that need it, such as ABTutor and Sophos. This worked fine; I've got a startup script (via another GPO) that installs SAV in managed mode if it's not already on the machine, the machines then appear in the management console (V2) in the unassigned group - but even if they stay there they update fine. I've just set up the new management console on a new server and changed the script to install from the new server. The workstations get the new Endpoint Security software and update fine, but don't appear anywhere in the new management console.

For the old version of Sophos, I opened ports 8192,8193 and 8194 to the IP of the management server - I've since opened them to the new server too, but even with the firewall off completely they still don't appear so it's not just that. I can't deploy automatically from the console either as the security on c:\windows\tasks is set to everyone:read (another virus prevention measure that I'm reluctant to remove).

Any ideas how I get the workstations to appear in the new console without blowing holes in security?

Thank Post
    To sort of follow on, hope I'm not hijacking, I'm too having problems with the migration, well I eventually got to update the Enterprise console to 4.5 after copying the policies manually to the \\Server\Sophos update\ dir but When I try updating the endpoints through the EC, the endpoint looks to download the update, restarts its self but stays at version 7 something or other. The EC then says its same as policy?

Does Endpoint 9 (or is it 9.5) come apart of the Enterprise package and if so, where do I find it/ point the update managers to it? (if thats what I think is the probable trouble cause, I've looked in the legacy update policy but only has Endpoint Ver 8 available to subscribe too).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread