+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Can not view 'workgroup computers' in Technical; I have recently tried to view 'workgroup computers' from my netbook, all I get it a donk sound and nothing ...

Thank Post

Can not view 'workgroup computers'

I have recently tried to view 'workgroup computers' from my netbook, all I get it a donk sound and nothing happens. I can not see any shared things on my other computers, however they can see the shared folders on the netbook. So basically I can put stuff on the netbook via my main PC, but can not do anything from the netbook. I can ping my other machines using my netbook and can access the netbook using VNC.

I have also enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and getting the same result. I checked the event log after I tried opening view workgroup computers however nothing comes up.

My netbook is on winxp home sp3 and other machines on my network on xp pro sp3 and home sp3 and everything else is working fine.

any help would be useful

regards

Thank Post
    What security suite do you have installed and which profile have you set for the network connection? The specific component of interest is the firewall which may be blocking access.

This applies to both the machine you are trying to view the shares from, and the machine(s) on which the shares are hosted.

How are you trying to view the shares? Map drive? My Network Places?

Thank Post
    what happens if you type in the address so \\pc\share rather than browsing for it?

Thank Post
    The netbook does not currently have any security installed. My other 2 machines have Kasperspy & Avast and they can view / share normally.

My PC can view the netbooks shares, but the netbook can't view / access the PCs shares.

I'm trying to view shares from map drive, my network places, \\pc and any other way I can think of to no avail.

\\pc\share doesn't work from the netbook, says can not find and to check spelling.

I am pretty sure the problem lies with the netbook, as my computers view everything fine, and so do friends laptops when they bring them round. Maybe something Samsung has done as it had preinstalled windows on it. I'll see if I make any progress or if anyone else has any ideas, if not I might just reformat it myself. Although the little thing has no CDROM and I will have to borrow one from work.

Cheers guys for help

Thank Post
    they are configured to use the same workgroup aren't they?

Thank Post
    Yeah. they're all in the same work group MSHOME

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread