+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Updates in Technical; How do I go about getting windows updates to update automatically instead of having to go to every machine in ...
    Thank Post

Windows Updates

How do I go about getting windows updates to update automatically instead of having to go to every machine in the school and do it manually?

This is probly something simply but not 100% sure,

Cheers

Thank Post
    Do you have a server? If so, make use of WSUS and get all the computers talking to that and then apply the various GPO settings to ensure it all happens automagically, that way, not only do the windows updates apply automagically, but you even get to vet updates in case there are some that you don't need / want to install ..

Plenty of advice on the Microsoft KB about WSUS, and other places around using good old google.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Plenty of advice on the Microsoft KB about WSUS, and other places around using good old google.
    One thing worth mentioning: don't install WSUS on your domain controller - it's one of those things that is mentioned in the documentation but is easy to overlook. If you have the resources spare, WSUS could probably do with a server to itself - if anything goes wrong it seems tricky to uninstall, so a dedicated server will avoid complications in the future.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,501 Posts
    Some of us don't have the luxury of more than one server. Mine has been doing everything, including WSUS admirably. Better than Windows Update any day!

It may not be recommended, but it can, and does work. Admittedly, I have a very small 2k3 network (40 PCs) and no M$ Exchange.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Some of us don't have the luxury of more than one server. Mine has been doing everything, including WSUS admirably. Better than Windows Update any day!

It may not be recommended, but it can, and does work. Admittedly, I have a very small 2k3 network (40 PCs) and no M$ Exchange.
    Indeed .. I've only just stepped into the realms of having more than one server, so I may take the recommended action, but it has been running ok for a while a now ..

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    WSUS is your friend

Thank Post
    Got my wsus on a workstation that I have dual booting with xp, have it running once or twice a week as the wsus server. Cheap server licence from Ramesys and an old extra 40gb hard drive.

Thank Post
    You can use a WSUS, and/or you can try it with WuInstall, it is very effective especially in combination with psexec. You just write a script that executes WuInstall /install on every machine, which gets all the updates currently available (or you can select update with the /match or /severity options)
    see WuInstall

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    One thing worth mentioning: don't install WSUS on your domain controller - it's one of those things that is mentioned in the documentation but is easy to overlook.
    I missed that one in the documentation and installed it on a domain controller (I have two). What are the consequences? Should I move it to a different server?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,501 Posts
    @ronanian... as I said earlier, it's been running fine on my one and only server/DC for years now. I have no idea what the problems are alleged to be, but I wouldn't stress about it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronanian View Post
    I missed that one in the documentation and installed it on a domain controller (I have two). What are the consequences? Should I move it to a different server?
    Same boat here - one server doing everything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronanian View Post
    When I wrote that post I'd just spent a day or so sorting out an issue with WSUS, so it was all fresh in my mind - I can't remember the exact details now. I think it was something to do with the database (a cut-down / embedded version of SQL Server?) that WSUS uses to store data. On our (Server 2008) domain controller running WSUS, WSUS had decided to stop working, giving some database-related error. Googling for documentation, it seemed that I needed to uninstall-and-reinstall the database component, but when I tried that the database component wouldn't uninstall, leaving me with a server that refused to run WSUS. I came accross a post somewhere on the web that explained there was some kind of conflict between WSUS' database and some other Windows component and that installing WSUS on a DC was "not recommended" - however, when I search Google now, all I can find are posts pointing out that people have had WSUS running on their DC for 3 years with no problems, etc. Also, looking at our domain controller, I can't figure out what component I was trying to uninstall that went wrong - and, as the domain controller is working okay at the moment, I'm not inclined to fiddle with it to try and find out.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The only time ive hit database issues with wsus is when its been installed then the server has been renamed from say server to server.domain.local then its a total @&%$ to sort out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread