+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows Thread, Dumb question - SATA and re-install XP in Technical; Just so peple know where I've got... sorry if this is very bitty, I really am having to do 5 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Just so peple know where I've got... sorry if this is very bitty, I really am having to do 5 minutes here and there as I have other things that have to get done too...

Finally drivers are installed... thanks HP for not putting them with the actual model of this PC (PC is SR1369UK not SR1369ES where drivers were found)

However, despite them being installed and a reboot, I still have no connection. No little green light at the back, no acknowledgment of existence by my router. Router Ping Fails.

Installation gave me 3 items under Network Manager - Device Adapter:
    - 1394 Net Adapter (network Connections = Connected, Firewalled)
    - Realtek RTL 8139 family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (Network Connections = Big Red X, Network Cable Unplugged)
    - Via Rhine III Fast ethernet adapter (Network Connections = Big Red X, Network Cable Unplugged)

Yes it is plugged in... wrong driver?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    - Realtek RTL 8139 family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (Network Connections = Big Red X, Network Cable Unplugged)
    - Via Rhine III Fast ethernet adapter (Network Connections = Big Red X, Network Cable Unplugged)

This is the exact same kind of error that I got with the SiS cards that I was talking about earlier, it may need the driver for the same hardware but a custom version direct from the motherboard vendor. I have also had on board NICs burn out from time to time. What is the Realtek one, did you add another PCI one in and does its cable detection work?

@Oxide54 blah blah blah is probably a tad harsh don't you think, I thought it could be useful information.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th March 2010 at 04:46 PM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

elsiegee40 (20th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post

@Oxide54 blah blah blah is probably a tad harsh don't you think, I thought it could be useful information.
    sorry wasn't meant as a dig at you at all i meant was etc, my sense of humour comes across as blunt at times,

Thank Post
    Just so peple know where I've got... sorry if this is very bitty, I really am having to do 5 minutes here and there as I have other things that have to get done too...

Finally drivers are installed... thanks HP for not putting them with the actual model of this PC (PC is SR1369UK not SR1369ES where drivers were found)

However, despite them being installed and a reboot, I still have no connection. No little green light at the back, no acknowledgment of existence by my router. Router Ping Fails.

Out of interest what was the reason for the rebuild in the first place?

Are there any options in the CMOS for the nic??

and did the nic work before??

btw for next time there's DriverBackup which will backup all your installed drivers and normally saves this kind of problem.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/
    Last edited by oxide54; 20th March 2010 at 04:51 PM.

6. Thanks to oxide54 from:

elsiegee40 (20th March 2010)

Thank Post
    lots of questions to answer...

Reason for rebuild - major slow down turned into only boot in safe mode - virus infestation.

NIC did work before

Can't find any CMOS settings

I have no idea what/where the Realtek one is... no apparent socket. I haven't added anything at all.

* Sudden thought - trots off to re-examine back of PC *

Ok, OK, I've just been and looked.
    As SYNACK rightly points out, if there's a driver installed, presumably there's a socket... and there is ( DUH!)... separate card. Mobo NIC does not work, other card does (I said this has been a bad week.)

Hugs and kisses to everyone.

Connecting cable to correct socket means that I now have a connection.

Hopefully this is the last you'll hear about this wretched machine!

I shall enjoy the red wine tonight that i should have enjoyed last night, but never got round to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Connecting cable to correct socket means that I now have a connection.

Hopefully this is the last you'll hear about this wretched machine!

I shall enjoy the red wine tonight that i should have enjoyed last night, but never got round to.
    Glad to hear that you got it going. Enjoy the wine, it sounds like you have definitely earned it

Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    sorry wasn't meant as a dig at you at all i meant was etc, my sense of humour comes across as blunt at times,
    Thats ok, I have the same issue at times

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Glad you have got it going - these things can drive you mad for days and days otherwise.

Have a nice Sunday

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Glad you have got it going - these things can drive you mad for days and days otherwise.

Have a nice Sunday
    #

Everything installing and updating nicely now. Except the audio drivers, but TBH I haven't tried too hard to find those... they're not exactly fundamental to getting the machine back on its feet!

Feeling much more relaxed now. Hopefully next week will start and continue in a better vain than last!

Thank Post
    Finished... even got sound

* Memo to self * Get image done of this bar-steward first thing Monday!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

* Memo to self * Get image done of this bar-steward first thing Monday!
    Good to hear it's all sorted!

What may be helpful as well as keeping an image is to start building a set of drivers, particularly if you've got quite a variety of machines.

Make some space on a server and set up a folder "drivers" and under that put "network", "audio" and "video" folders.

When you find you need to download drivers because they're not in Windows, stick the drivers in there. ideally, you want them unzipped and in the form where you can just browse to it when prompted for a driver (even the .exe files can often be unziipped with 7zip and you'll find a driver folder inside)

You can then either connect to this over the network when you need drivers on a rebuilt machine or copy it all to a USB stick and load the drivers from there.

13. Thanks to srochford from:

elsiegee40 (21st March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Good to hear it's all sorted!

What may be helpful as well as keeping an image is to start building a set of drivers, particularly if you've got quite a variety of machines.

Make some space on a server and set up a folder "drivers" and under that put "network", "audio" and "video" folders.

When you find you need to download drivers because they're not in Windows, stick the drivers in there. ideally, you want them unzipped and in the form where you can just browse to it when prompted for a driver (even the .exe files can often be unziipped with 7zip and you'll find a driver folder inside)

You can then either connect to this over the network when you need drivers on a rebuilt machine or copy it all to a USB stick and load the drivers from there.
    Also make a copy of at least the network drivers on a memory stick or burn them all to a disc and do it that way ?

If you have the network drivers on a memory stick then you can install the network cards and go from there and connect to the server from there as above.

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

elsiegee40 (21st March 2010)

Thank Post
    @srochford, @mac_shinobi -thank you, that's a great idea. Twenty-twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing, I should have done that before.

Another job has been added to the Easter holiday list (and the list for any new kit that comes in), "backup drivers" to server AND disk... it's just as well we have an extra week before most schools break up!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    @srochford, @mac_shinobi -thank you, that's a great idea. Twenty-twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing, I should have done that before.

Another job has been added to the Easter holiday list (and the list for any new kit that comes in), "backup drivers" to server AND disk... it's just as well we have an extra week before most schools break up!
    normally when new laptops / computers come in assuming they are all the same model with the same hardware ie graphics cards etc then I keep at least one copy of the driver disc in a safe place and you could if you have a nas or ext hdd then make an iso of it to there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tend to put a copy of the device drivers for a new pc in a drivers folder on that PC's C: drive and make that a part of the image. With Windows XP I also copy the \i386 folder from the install CD onto the C: drive as part of the image.

This means that everything I need in the future is right their on the computers C: driver. Or if I have multiple machines based off the same image I can connect to the C$ share of another PC and access this.

Is there a Win7 equivalant of copying the \i386 folder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I tend to put a copy of the device drivers for a new pc in a drivers folder on that PC's C: drive and make that a part of the image. With Windows XP I also copy the \i386 folder from the install CD onto the C: drive as part of the image.

This means that everything I need in the future is right their on the computers C: driver. Or if I have multiple machines based off the same image I can connect to the C$ share of another PC and access this.

Is there a Win7 equivalant of copying the \i386 folder?
    also look at the sysprep.inf there are options in there so when you image a machine you can tell it to use your custom driver directory you put on your image.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234