+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Dumb question - SATA and re-install XP in Technical; Originally Posted by yugo Select software and drivers Compaq Presario SR1369ES Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Select software and drivers Compaq Presario SR1369ES Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

elsiegee40
    Searched with just sr1369 on hp and got the above^
    you could try the Spring 2005 Original Network Adapter Driver Collection, if you haven't already!
    Tried Summer and Fall, didn't find the Spring but will give it a go.... tomorrow. Off for a bedtime brandy now. I need it.

Thank Post
    Ok apologies eslie and witch, I should not post on a Friday night after the pub.

3. 2 Thanks to jsnetman:

elsiegee40 (20th March 2010), witch (20th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    @elsiegee40 - Never lose hope, you're actually closer than you realise

These instructions are the initial screen:

How To Use:
    1. Download the driver package.
    2. Double-click on the icon for the driver package downloaded in step 1, and then click NEXT.
    3. Select "I accept the terms in the license agreement", and then click NEXT.
    4. Click OK to continue. The original drivers are now stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\LAN folder.
    5. If Device Manager does not start automatically, use the following steps. Otherwise go to step 6:
    a. Click Start.
    b. Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
    c. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.
    6. Click the + (plus) sign next to "Network adapters" or "Other devices".
    7. Right-click "Ethernet Controller" or the device you want to update, and then select "Update Driver...".
    8. Click NEXT to install the software automatically
    9. Click FINISHED to complete the installation.
    This is fairly typical of network drivers which require manual installation and the only reason I know this is through learning and experimentation

5. Thanks to Michael from:

elsiegee40 (20th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One other thing which might help here and will hopefully help other people with driver problems on HP/Compaq computers is HP Softpaq Manager - it seems to move around the web site but you should be able to find a download link with this: site:hp.com "Download HP SoftPaq Download Manager" - Google Search

In an ideal world, you download it on your machine with missing drivers, it then works out what machine you've got and fetches and installs all the drivers for it.

In a non-ideal world, you run it on a machine with network access, select the computer which needs drivers from the list and then let it search and manually download the drivers. You then stick the network driver on a USB stick etc and put it in the machine to be fixed.

The other possibility is that for some reason the PC doesn't have the standard NIC - not terribly likely if it's onboard but more likely if it's a separate card. To find out what kind of card it is, right click it in device manager and go to properties and then details. In the property list, find details - it's a string like:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4230

This tells you that the manufacturer is "8086" and the particular item is "4230" Now go to PCI Vendor and Device Lists and enter the 8086 in the Vendor Search box and search; do the same for the device search. You should now have a manufacturer and a model which generally gets you to the right download.

7. Thanks to srochford from:

Thank Post
    Got it sorted yet?

When all else fails I put one of those usb ethernet sticks in and connect to the internet and let the pc find it's own driver off the manufacturer's website, or an external wireless adaptor.

Voice of reason here from your identical triplet - You don't need me to say do you that tackling a tricky job on a Friday night after a duff tiring week is not a good idea, (apart from the fact it's exactly what I would have done - as of course we are the same person in the same job)

9. Thanks to chrbb from:

Thank Post
    Just back from Finance Training and feeling a bit better than I was last night, decided to have a quick lookin here before lunch and rolling my sleeves up.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Got it sorted yet?

When all else fails I put one of those usb ethernet sticks in and connect to the internet and let the pc find it's own driver off the manufacturer's website, or an external wireless adaptor.

Voice of reason here from your identical triplet - You don't need me to say do you that tackling a tricky job on a Friday night after a duff tiring week is not a good idea, (apart from the fact it's exactly what I would have done - as of course we are the same person in the same job)
    If I had one of those USB ethernet sticks, I'd use it... I'll have to get one! Unfortunately Friday night it had to be. Family requirements of me are such that I really have very little time to tackle this this weekend. Even last night, I was dealing with one teenager and Scouts, the other's Spanish oral practice (GCSE exam Monday - no I don't speak Spanish) and OH's PowerPoint troubles (also needed Monday)... who'd be a Mum and an It tech? Well you know!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @elsiegee40 - Never lose hope, you're actually closer than you realise

These instructions are the initial screen:

This is fairly typical of network drivers which require manual installation and the only reason I know this is through learning and experimentation
    That's what I've been doing, but thanks anyway Michael, your help is always appreciated... It's not great getting that message saying 'it's not there, can I look on the internet?' when you can't connect to the internet *sigh *

Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    One other thing which might help here and will hopefully help other people with driver problems on HP/Compaq computers is HP Softpaq Manager - it seems to move around the web site but you should be able to find a download link with this: site:hp.com "Download HP SoftPaq Download Manager" - Google Search

In an ideal world, you download it on your machine with missing drivers, it then works out what machine you've got and fetches and installs all the drivers for it.

In a non-ideal world, you run it on a machine with network access, select the computer which needs drivers from the list and then let it search and manually download the drivers. You then stick the network driver on a USB stick etc and put it in the machine to be fixed.

The other possibility is that for some reason the PC doesn't have the standard NIC - not terribly likely if it's onboard but more likely if it's a separate card. To find out what kind of card it is, right click it in device manager and go to properties and then details. In the property list, find details - it's a string like:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4230

This tells you that the manufacturer is "8086" and the particular item is "4230" Now go to PCI Vendor and Device Lists and enter the 8086 in the Vendor Search box and search; do the same for the device search. You should now have a manufacturer and a model which generally gets you to the right download.
    @srochford that PCI Vendor and Device Lists is now bookmarked.... * Big hug *
    Vendor 1106, Device 3106 (which I already had written down but hadn't translated) is Via Technologies Inc, Rhine III PCI Fast Ethernet Controller (and/or) Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Time for a sandwich and then back to search for the little blighter after I've boosted my blood sugars!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 20th March 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    When the add Hardware Wizard appears, when asked:

Can Windows connect to Windows Update...Choose No, not at this time and click Next >

What do you want the wizard to do? Choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and click Next >

Tick to enable Include this location in the search, then click Browse.

According to the instructions specify C:\HP\Drivers\LAN and the wizard should hopefully install the drivers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    I think that you are going above and beyond the call of duty, triplet...
    (she says, whilst trying to get a flaming slideshow to run on a website..does anyone do drupal????)
    good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When the add Hardware Wizard appears, when asked:

Can Windows connect to Windows Update...Choose No, not at this time and click Next >

What do you want the wizard to do? Choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and click Next >

Tick to enable Include this location in the search, then click Browse.

According to the instructions specify C:\HP\Drivers\LAN and the wizard should hopefully install the drivers
    ... yep and then it goes back to "The driver isn't here, can I connect to the internet?"

Identified the Mobo now (MS-7184), will go back to the driver hunt after I've spent an hour helping daughter prepare for Monday's GCSE Spanish Oral

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    ... yep and then it goes back to "The driver isn't here, can I connect to the internet?"

Identified the Mobo now (MS-7184), will go back to the driver hunt after I've spent an hour helping daughter prepare for Monday's GCSE Spanish Oral
    I've just downloaded the spring 2005 collection from here

Select software and drivers Compaq Presario SR1369ES Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

it is in the Rhine sub directory "C:\hp\drivers\lan\lan_Via_Rhine"

if you inspect the inf file in that directory you will find

[MANUF]
    %VT3106S.DeviceDesc% = VT3106S.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3053&SUBSYS_01061106
    %VT3106J.DeviceDesc% = VT3106J.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3106&SUBSYS_01051106
    %VT3065.DeviceDesc% = VT3065.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3065&SUBSYS_01051106
    %VT3065.DeviceDesc% = VT3065.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3065&SUBSYS_01021106
    %VT3043.DeviceDesc% = VT3043.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3043&SUBSYS_01001106
    %VT3106S.DeviceDesc% = VT3106S.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3053
    %VT3106J.DeviceDesc% = VT3106J.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3106
    %VT3065.DeviceDesc% = VT3065.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3065
    %VT3043.DeviceDesc% = VT3043.ndi, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3043

so it does support your device, may be you need to point the hardware wizard at the lan_via_rhine sub directory not just the drivers\hp directory.

Hope you get it working.

15. Thanks to oxide54 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heres what I would do and have done recently in that situation. Grab the oldest PCI network card from a known vendor you can lay your hands on and put that in. These usually have integrated windows drivers and are usually cheap to grab out of an old machine temporarily. Then use the Windows update driver search bit in the update driver feature from device manager which is actually really good now.

The other way is the exact way that you are trying next, going to the motherboard vendors site and grabbing them from there. Sometimes the standard drivers don't work propperly because the vendor implements them in a nonstandard way and only their driver will interface propperly with the device. I had this with some SiS 900 cards which only worked with one specific driver even after a BIOS update.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th March 2010 at 03:21 PM.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Heres what I would do and have done recently in that situation.

blah blah blah

or point the hardware wizard at the correct directory

"C:\hp\drivers\lan\lan_Via_Rhine"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I went to post this earlier, but internet went off

Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    He or she it does not matter, if you are a techie of any description asking on a forum where to find a driver surely shows lack of experience. I would expect that kind of post on a gaming website where usually you have non technical people asking how to do things on their PC.

I guess I'm in for a bashing here
    To be quite honest with what your coming out with yes you are asking for an ear bashing, infact what your currently is totally wrong and if you knew the ethos behind edugeek and the forums here it does not matter what people ask!

We are not here for the Pro's and Experts we are here for everyone from someone who has never ever turned a computer on before to someone who could probably do anything that was thrown at them.

If someone comes on here and asks for help then anyone would help them the best way they could, if it means talking them through it step by step from the thing that may be the stupidest thing to you but not to them all the way through to a solved problem then you should not put that down.

I know of people whom have put a WindowsXP Disc into a computer and have managed to format there computer, never done it before but just followed the instructions, yes the fun part at the end is finding the drivers but just because they cant find the drivers does not mean they should not be formatting a computer. (yes it would cause them problems afterwards)

All i am saying is that if i was you i would chill out abit and if your going to say something then that is fine but dont inssult other members and/or these forums we are here for everyone not just IT Pro's!

James.

Thank Post
    James,

your right in what your saying. I just normally take the same approach to trolling as I do distriptutive kids.

Don't give them the attention they so obviously crave!

Thank Post
    anyway sorry but im going to post this again so it doesn't get lost in the midst.

Please read my above post the drivers are in the pack.

point the hardware wizard at the correct directory

"C:\hp\drivers\lan\lan_Via_Rhine"

22. Thanks to oxide54 from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast