+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Local TEMP profile woes !!!! in Technical; Originally Posted by Geoff I think the best way to deal with this would be a VBS script that runs ...
    Thank Post

Re: Local TEMP profile woes !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I think the best way to deal with this would be a VBS script that runs at system startup and sits in a loop. If it checks which network cards are connected at startup then subsequently checks the connectivity of the same cards while it's sat in loop. If something gets disconnected just reboot the machine.
    This is exactly what I said earlier on in the thread about writing a small program to do this and have it run as a service or something. I even managed to find some code that checks if the cable is connected. I got as far as installling Vb.net but then didnt get round to writing it as I was learning as I went along.
    I would say check for connectivity. If been disconnected to a gpupdate. If still disconnected put up warning box saying "This machine will be shut down blah blah" make sure the cable has been plugged in at least a minute etc etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well the information is avalible to WMI. Therefore you don't need to run a program. You can get all the information you need from the Win32_NetworkAdapter. The NetConnectionStatus property is key. Although enumerating though all the NetworkAdapters and checking the AdapterType and ConfigManagerErrorCode to rule out any potential interfaces that might be broken or wireless.

Thank Post

Your still at the mercy of scripts being run from policies etc though. Without faffing with local policies a compiled exe running as a service would be better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can install a vbs script as a local service with Instsrv.exe from the resource kit.

Thank Post

sorry to go off the topic but
    do we need any more reasons as to why this site should not be accessible to just anyone?
    as well as giving us techies invaluable help, advice guidance, it also provides the kids with information on vunerabilities that they can expliot

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Some of us (Geoff included) don't believe in 'security by obscurity'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Plus the fact the site would die in about 2 seconds from the onerous vetting procedure to prove that one is a 'techie' and eligible for access.

Thank Post

Hi all,

just come back to this topic, seems like I started something here.

I have a solution that work for me, in addition to the GPO settings I mentioned on the first page I now have a script that runs at srart up of the PC clears down all profiles on the local pc including the default user one, creates the default user folder and then copies a mandatory profile down from the server to the default user folder on the local pc.

Depending on the room they are in depends on the profile that comes down but this means that if a student does try to bypass and due to the profile being local it will always load the default user profile and lock the darlings down.

This proflie transfer happens once a day or if the PC is restarted (but as the kids don't have the option of a restart it tends to be once per day).

This has proved to work extremely well.

HTH

Thank Post

Thought I'd latch onto this thread rather than start a new one!

I want to prevent xp machines logging on if the server is down or the network cable is out. We don't have a problem with kids pulling out cables but staff using them for laptops and forgetting to put them back in. I don't want this to affect the laptops so would a local policy setting to set the number of cached logons to 0 only set on the workstations solve this?

I use the MustbeValidated registry setting on w98 but can't find anything for xp.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT
    Hi all,

I have a solution that work for me, in addition to the GPO settings I mentioned on the first page I now have a script that runs at srart up of the PC clears down all profiles on the local pc including the default user one, creates the default user folder and then copies a mandatory profile down from the server to the default user folder on the local pc.

Depending on the room they are in depends on the profile that comes down but this means that if a student does try to bypass and due to the profile being local it will always load the default user profile and lock the darlings down.

This proflie transfer happens once a day or if the PC is restarted (but as the kids don't have the option of a restart it tends to be once per day).

HTH
    Maybe you can do a wiki or something on the script as well as the GPO settings ?

Thank Post
    I'm fashionably late to this thread.

Did you all manage to resolve your issues, or does this still plague you? I've just been notified of similar shenanigans at one of our sites.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    Hi all,

HTH
    Hi!
    I've the very same problem in my school. Can you explain me step-by-step what you've done?
    I'm not very skilled with scripts but I can manage to adapt yours to my environment (if you can share it with me).
    We have a win2003 domain controlled and some already deployed gpo, so I think I can manage that part if you can tell me where I need to make the changes.

Thanks!
    Last edited by himesama; 30th April 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Nothing?

Thank Post
    See here: EduLock

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123