+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, NOD32 scan settings? in Technical; As standard NOD32 had two scan settings in the schedular, one runs at system start the other runs at user ...
    Thank Post

NOD32 scan settings?

As standard NOD32 had two scan settings in the schedular, one runs at system start the other runs at user logon (once per 24 hours). The user one seems to make our XP boxes crawl duing and after logon, out of curiosity does anyone else stop this scan?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    As standard NOD32 had two scan settings in the schedular, one runs at system start the other runs at user logon (once per 24 hours). The user one seems to make our XP boxes crawl duing and after logon, out of curiosity does anyone else stop this scan?
    Each of our PCs has an EXT2 partition on the harddrive which, as far as we can make out, is responsible for making NOD32 hang - our machines would simply freeze up a while after starting up, just stuck on the logon page. We think NOD32 is simply conking out when it encounters the EXT2 partition. Therefore, I've turned the "scan local volumes" option off completly. The machines have anti-virus installed on them from a fresh OS image, so there should be no way a virus is going to get on to the machine anyway, and all incoming files should be scanned, so I figured any kind of local scan is a waste of time.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    One of the reasons I was asking is that I turned this feature off on a client the other day and it wouldn't come back on again I had to remote deploy a conf file to set it again.

That must of just been a funny as I tried again today and it's fine so i'm turning this off for now to see the difference. Not sure why it needs to run a scan at logon anyway.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to see how you get on, as this is something I've been looking at for some time.

Thank Post
    I created a config file this morning and deployed it to 60 PC's and all is good so far, the active scanning catches the icar test file and so on and logon is much faster. I noticed this morning when using an XP box with a Core2 CPU and a gig of ram that after logon it was very slow with pauses opening the start menu etc during the AV update and during the mini scan afterwards. Since turning this off it's a big improvement, I can't see it being much of a security issue if any as the active scanning is still enabled.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I'd be interested to see how you get on, as this is something I've been looking at for some time.
    Half the IT suite have been running NOD32 with "no local volumes scan" set since half term, no problems so far, and performance seems just fine.

--
    David Hicks

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

leco (15th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I think I might give it a go to see if things speed up or slow down.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Can you provide details on what you did? It will save a lot of time if it can be modified using the Console.

I always find making changes in the console to be a pain. I logon to a box make the changes and then use the export feature to export the settings to an xml file, I then deploy this using the console.

All I did was logon and clear the two boxes (Automatic Startup File Check) under schedular then export the config.

@ dhicks - where are you setting the "no local volumes scan" I'm not quite sure what you mean?

Thanks.

10. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

dhicks (19th March 2010)

Thank Post
    where are you setting the "no local volumes scan" I'm not quite sure what you mean?
    Using the ESET Configuration Editor, under "ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus", "File-system filter", "Setup", set "San local disks" to "No".

--
    David Hicks

12. Thanks to dhicks from:

cookie_monster (15th March 2010)

Thank Post
    All I did was logon and clear the two boxes (Automatic Startup File Check) under schedular then export the config.
    Many thanks for the above - just checked some of our older machines in the senior IT suite, and they'd been slowed to a crawl by the NOD32 startup scanner (not helped by people trying to start multiple copies of everything if the first didn't load within a couple of seconds). I've now edited a settings XML file to skip the startup scan as you detailed, so hopefully now our machines should run at a reasonable speed.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Many thanks for the above - just checked some of our older machines in the senior IT suite, and they'd been slowed to a crawl by the NOD32 startup scanner (not helped by people trying to start multiple copies of everything if the first didn't load within a couple of seconds). I've now edited a settings XML file to skip the startup scan as you detailed, so hopefully now our machines should run at a reasonable speed.

--
    David Hicks

No problem. It's made a big difference to our older clients even bigger than I thought it would, in fact it's made a difference on the core2 boxes as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread