+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Preventing My pics and My music in Technical; When a new user logs into the system for the first time, as their roaming profile is generated a "My ...

Thank Post

Preventing My pics and My music

When a new user logs into the system for the first time, as their roaming profile is generated a "My pictures" and "my Music" folder is created and plonked into their home directory (my documents).

Is there any way to prevent the generation of these two files when the users profile is created?

I have tried un-registereing the mydocs.dll on the workstations, but this does not seem to work. I have also added the two files to the exclusions list in gpo and Ranger, to no avail.

Anyone know how to stop these pesky files being created?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Not sure why this is a problem? If you don't want them to save pictures or music you need to do more than stop the two empty folders from being created.

Thank Post
    It is all to do with a system we have been forced to create. The idea is... these users are "exam" accounts.

When a user logs in, they can use the My docs as a temporary work area for the duration of their session. When they log off a script copies all of the files in that folder to a secure storage area and then deletes them from that "exam user".....

This works perfectly, however the my pictures/my music can not be deleted by a normal log off script.... so are causing us some issues... Its not just a case of ignoring them... if a student has put work in there we need to take that into consideration as well...

Hence, being able to remove these two folders perminantly would be the ideal solution...

Thank Post
    Couldnt you use a manditory profile? with the option of redirecting the my docs folder?

Thank Post
    It sounds to me like these user accounts get used by different people each session? You could try to hide the my pics and my vids, and deny the user access? Might cause log on issues though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegwin View Post
    When a new user logs into the system for the first time, as their roaming profile is generated a "My pictures" and "my Music" folder is created and plonked into their home directory (my documents).

Is there any way to prevent the generation of these two files when the users profile is created?

I have tried un-registereing the mydocs.dll on the workstations, but this does not seem to work. I have also added the two files to the exclusions list in gpo and Ranger, to no avail.

Anyone know how to stop these pesky files being created?
    Hi

It sounds like your account management method (Ranger Account Manager possibly) is set to create the use rprofiles in the users home directory. This can easily be changed using Ranger or whatever you use. The default setting in Ranger creates it there for sure but only because when installed it would not know about an alternative and does not create unnecessary shares by default.

So why don't you redirect their roaming progfile to an alternative location on the server e.g. \\server\userprofiles$\username then it would not show up in their home folder location which is possibly what is causing you this irritation.

If you need more detail on this please revert.

Rgds

Thank Post
    Did you ever resolve this as im in the same boat.

Cheers

S

Thank Post
    Hi
    With XP clients either using a roaming profile to an alternate location on the server or a mandatory profile would resolve this. Windows 7 is another issue!

Regards.

Thank Post
    I Managed to sort it with this in the logon script:

del "\\SERVERNAME\LearnersHomes$\%username%\My Pictures\Sample Pictures.lnk" /s /q
    del "\\SERVERNAME\LearnersHomes$\%username%\My Music\Sample Music.lnk" /s /q
    del "\\SERVERNAME\LearnersHomes$\%username%\My Pictures.lnk" /s /q

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread