+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DVI to VGA adapter then to component - please help! in Technical; Hi, I've looked around the internet for the answer to my question but have had no confirmation that is works. ...

Thank Post

DVI to VGA adapter then to component - please help!

Hi, I've looked around the internet for the answer to my question but have had no confirmation that is works.
    What I'm trying to do is use a DVI to VGA adapter (because I have a Radeon HD 4870 graphics card with two DVI plugins but no VGA) then use a VGA to component cable. (because my tv doesn't have a hdmi input only a component)

Will this work? other people have said that it might not work because the signal is digital from the computer and it would still be digital going through the VGA cable, but no one confimed
    I don't think that right because isn't VGA NOT digital.

Anyways, ANY help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks, Kedora19

Thank Post
    Could you not just do dvi to component?

dvi-to-component-video-adapter

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggus2000 View Post
    Could you not just do dvi to component?

dvi-to-component-video-adapter
    didn't know they made thoughs since I thought dvi (digital) couldn't go with component (anolog)
    thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    it does say you have to check the video card as it may not give out the correct output.

Please note, if using this cable with a computer video card, not all PC video cards will output component video, please check the spec of the video card.

5. Thanks to glennda from:

kedora19 (12th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kedora19 View Post
    Will this work? other people have said that it might not work because the signal is digital from the computer and it would still be digital going through the VGA cable, but no one confimed
    I don't think that right because isn't VGA NOT digital.
    Most DVI connections output both a digital signal and also an analogue (VGA) signal on the single connector. The analogue pins are the ones around the little cross on the end of the plug (google quickly for DVI pinout). Strictly speaking saying DVI isn't really enough you would need to pick from: DVI-D (digital only), DVI-A (analog only - bit weird) or DVI-I (digital & analog - which is the common one).

So DVI to VGA adapters are normally just passive patches to take those analogue pins out onto a normally 15pin VGA cable. So you're quite correct in thinking that the signal will be analogue VGA.

And just for geeky reference whilst in this general subject matter, strictly component signals are analogue and you'll see them referred to as YPbPr or YUV, when we're talking digital component strictly it should be described as YCbCr.

7. Thanks to Chillibear from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillibear View Post
    Most DVI connections output both a digital signal and also an analogue (VGA) signal on the single connector. The analogue pins are the ones around the little cross on the end of the plug (google quickly for DVI pinout). Strictly speaking saying DVI isn't really enough you would need to pick from: DVI-D (digital only), DVI-A (analog only - bit weird) or DVI-I (digital & analog - which is the common one).

So DVI to VGA adapters are normally just passive patches to take those analogue pins out onto a normally 15pin VGA cable. So you're quite correct in thinking that the signal will be analogue VGA.

And just for geeky reference whilst in this general subject matter, strictly component signals are analogue and you'll see them referred to as YPbPr or YUV, when we're talking digital component strictly it should be described as YCbCr.
    Thanks, I did not know that about DVI connections. You guys respond so fast which is awesome! I posted in another forum before this post and I STILL haven't gotten any responds (but that doesn't matter now).
    Anyways, I guess this thread can be closed now

Kedora19

Thank Post
    Actually one more thing

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    it does say you have to check the video card as it may not give out the correct output.
    how do I find out if a Radeon HD 4870 gives out the correct output? would it say in the specs.
    Thanks,
    Kedora19

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kedora19 View Post
    Actually one more thing

how do I find out if a Radeon HD 4870 gives out the correct output? would it say in the specs.
    Thanks,
    Kedora19
    If it does not state what type of signals it outputs you would just need to check the specs for what type of DVI ports they are and ref what chilli bear stated above with regards to the DVI port types and that should give you a good idea

ATI Radeon? HD 4870 Graphics Specifications

As per the above link see below

• Two integrated dual-link DVI display outputs
      • Each supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2
      • Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content3

• Two integrated 400 MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
      • Each supports analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x15362

• DisplayPort output support
      • 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002

• HDMI output support
      • All display resolutions up to 1920x10802
      • Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI

• Integrated AMD Xilleon™ HDTV encoder
      • Provides high quality analog TV output (component/S-video/composite)
      • Supports SDTV and HDTV resolutions
      • Underscan and overscan compensation

• Seamless integration of pixel shaders with video in real time
    • VGA mode support on all display outputs
    It states about a single and dual dvi so if it does not work on one of the DVI ports, swap them around and try the TV on the other DVI port - also might be worth while checking the advanced settings for the ATI card as you might be able to define what is connected to the port and possibly if its vga or whatever

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If it does not state what type of signals it outputs you would just need to check the specs for what type of DVI ports they are and ref what chilli bear stated above with regards to the DVI port types and that should give you a good idea

ATI Radeon? HD 4870 Graphics Specifications

As per the above link see below

It states about a single and dual dvi so if it does not work on one of the DVI ports, swap them around and try the TV on the other DVI port - also might be worth while checking the advanced settings for the ATI card as you might be able to define what is connected to the port and possibly if its vga or whatever
    Thanks ALOT. Going to buy a connector today ,
    Kedora19

Thank Post

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Chillibear View Post
    ... referred to as YPbPr or YUV...
    Actually I should correct myself since YUV is actually colour space rather than video signal *tsk tsk* silly me.

Thank Post
    Please Close This Thread! Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread