+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Power profiles in Technical; I'm thinking as I'm typing to see if any of this makes sense, to me or anyone else Staff have ...
    Thank Post

Power profiles

I'm thinking as I'm typing to see if any of this makes sense, to me or anyone else

Staff have roaming profiles they use both laptops and desktop computers. If the power profile is set for the laptop (possibly their main machine) that's fine until they log on to a desktop. The power profile then gets switched to Desktop settings - and stays that way. So when they next log on at their laptop that gets a Desktop power profile.

All well and good if the laptop in question is plugged in to the mains, which it would be if they were in a classroom as the machines run the IWB. However, not so good if the laptop is being used off the mains. Battery runs out very quickly as the settings are set way too high for a laptop.

Thoughts, ideas or solutions anyone? Is it possible for the computer/roaming profile to actually know if it's on a laptop or desktop? Both the desktops and laptops run XP SP3 from a W2008 server.
    Last edited by leco; 9th March 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Hmmm - that is interesting - we have the same setup but don't set power profiles at all - the laptop is set individually by setting it locally with an admin account.
    Or at least I think so - mind you, all our teachers like everything 'always on', no sleep, no hibernate, nothing so it may be that I just don't notice

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    set up the desktops to the same power settings as the laptops - will save you on the electric bill and if its not a visable change just the screen going to sleep after 5 mins im sure they might not actually notice!

Thank Post
    Screen sleeping after 5mins? Oh yes they would notice - they want them to stay on for the whole lesson!

Witch - the power profiles are set on the laptops locally - but they don't stay that way for long sadly.

I've only just become aware of the issue, though of course "it's been like that for ages, I didn't want to bother you as you're always so busy"

This also happens on the pupil's profile, even though that's mandatory. Although they are on desktops most of the time it does cause issues when they switch to laptops. Sometimes the battery won't last for a whole lesson - especially if they are creating powerpoints or something else "intensive".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    well yeah i just randomly picked 5 mins up but you could set it to say 15/20 mins as i bet you most teachers will get students to get up and hit the mouse anyway!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread