+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Preventing users saving to temp files? in Technical; We have quite an annoying issue occuring at the moment. When a user opens a file (e.g. word/excel) from an ...

Thank Post

Preventing users saving to temp files?

We have quite an annoying issue occuring at the moment. When a user opens a file (e.g. word/excel) from an internet browser (IE7- WinXP). They are asked if they want to save, or open the file.

Naturally the user clicks "open".

The document opens, they do some work on it and then click "save". The file appears to save OK, so they close it... what they dont realise is that they just saved their changes to the temporary internet files folder. There is no way of recovering the file they saved. All that work is now lost.

How can I prevent users from clicking "open" files fia GPO, OR... Prevent them from being able to SAVE back to the temp instance of their word document?

I am sure windows SHOULD ask you where you want to save the file if you click on "save" if the file is in temp, but it doesnt appear to...

This is causing the students an enormous amount of grief when downloading files from the VLE etc...

Help much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you can do this; the system has to be able to write to the temp location and it makes sense for transient documents to be opened like this (eg you're going to read something and then discard it)

I think it's an education issue - whenever you click on a document, choose the option to "save", make sure you save it in your home directory (or whatever you want as a save location) and then open it from there.

Thank Post
    You are right in that you do sometimes want to be able to open and read the file rather than save it..

But WHY does microsoft let you save changes to that temp file back to the temp directory... thats just silly..

I agree, its an education thing, but thats easier said than done! People dont listen...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread