+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Use existing or create new domain? in Technical; Howdy, Need to get people's thoughts on a dilemna at work. We are running a vanilla windows 2003 domain and ...
    Thank Post

Question Use existing or create new domain?

Howdy,

Need to get people's thoughts on a dilemna at work. We are running a vanilla windows 2003 domain and currently have funding available to upgrade servers. I am wondering whether or not we should be creating a new domain or just migrating the old domain over to the 2008r2 server. The old domain has problems like we can't log in on win7 or vista machines and the logon script and GPO's need a complete overhaul. But if we create a new domain it will take me months to change over the systems and get the users on the new domain.

If it was you what would you do?

Thanks
    Rowan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it depends on what you would think to be best, It really depends on what you think would be best.

Although as for changing systems and users over shouldn't take that much time I thought, As long as you created images if you school has some sort of standardisation of the systems and then import the users from the SIMS system.

Thank Post
    I would definately keep your existing domain. I had trouble with win 7 on the network until I discoivered it did not like a particular switch, something to do with spanning tree. Just build your 2008r2 server in your existing domain and eventually retire or demote or use your old 2003 servers as print servers or something like that. I would expect if there was anything wrong with the existing domain it probably would not let you complete the domain prep or forest prep that you have to do in order to get the 2008 servers going. you can always use a new gpo for the win7 or vista clients, I personally have xp and win 7 in the same OU but have win7 in a sub OU with GP loopback in merge mode.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 7th March 2010 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I think you're looking at things from the wrong angle. Clearly your existing domain is working, but not for newer Vista or Windows 7 for whatever reason.

I would keep the existing domain, add 2008 Servers, then create new OUs, policies and security groups as appropriate, then move users when testing is complete.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think you're looking at things from the wrong angle. Clearly your existing domain is working, but not for newer Vista or Windows 7 for whatever reason.

I would keep the existing domain, add 2008 Servers, then create new OUs, policies and security groups as appropriate, then move users when testing is complete.
    That's exactly how I would do it, that way all your machine and user accounts wouldn't need re-creating. It's very rare to break active directory and the underpinnings of a domain completely, most underlying problems point to incorrect GPO settings, or corrupted group policy objects so unless you've severely messed with the Active directory structure the underlying workings of the domain should be fine - it just needs an overhaul.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread