+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Server very slow after power cut!! Start Menus not working! in Technical; Hi guys, A school of mine had a power cut/surge yesterday and the schools Server 2003 DC went off too. ...

Thank Post

Server very slow after power cut!! Start Menus not working!

Hi guys,

A school of mine had a power cut/surge yesterday and the schools Server 2003 DC went off too. It wouldn't restart, but after changing the power lead it came back on and booted up fine. The next day I had users complaining that the user profiles we so slow to load and use that they were unusable. I thought I would just give the Server a restart to see if that make a difference. I did that and the server would just get to loading Windows and then restart constantly! I manged to use the Recovery Consle and by using chkdsk got it to boot up again.

The problem is that when someone logs in (I am using redirected folders), the start menu -> programs bit just doesn't appear or takes a looooong time to crawl up. The other redirected items (My Docs, Desktop) seem to be fine.

I can't really see anything unusual in the Event viewer. Permissions?? When the server come back on the firsttime after the powercut, while windows was loadining up it did say "rebuilding indices" - whats that? 8O

Thanks for the help
    CM786

Thank Post

Re: Server very slow after power cut!! Start Menus not worki

are the shortcuts in the redirected start menu ok? as in on the disk you can browes them just fine?

what happens if you copy them some place else and re-direct the start menu to the new location.

it sounds like you use roaming profiles, have you removed a profile of the profiles share and of the workstation and see what happens with the user when it recreates a new profile? is it any better

Thank Post

Re: Server very slow after power cut!! Start Menus not working!

... and get a UPS for the next time it happens.

Can you restore from a backup?

HBJB

Thank Post

Can't underline Hebbee's recommendation enough... You need a UPS to avoid this.

I'm dealing with a server that had a badly configured UPS and it's lost a hard drive as a result..

Thank Post

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.

It seems that some of the start menu shortcuts have become corrupt. As soon as I open a redirected start menu folder such as \\dc1\users\menus\y6 and click on some of the shortcut icons (they have lost their icons too) the server just locks up and explorer crashes. I have recreated the shortcuts on a different partition on the server and updated the path in group policy, so that they now work properly. However, my concern is what has happened to the hard drive? Because I cannot access certain shortcuts. Is the hard drive damaged or have the icons just become corrupt?

PS UPS has been ordered!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CM786
    However, my concern is what has happened to the hard drive? Because I cannot access certain shortcuts. Is the hard drive damaged or have the icons just become corrupt?
    It certainly sounds like it's not a happy bunny.. I'd pull the drive and get a fresh one in there with a recent backup (if you can).

PS UPS has been ordered!
    Well done

Thank Post

MORE WOES

After thinking that the worst was over, something seems to have happened to AD now. When I try and view the Computer accounts in Active Directory Users and Computers I get the following error:

Data from Computers is not available from domain controller xxxxx.xxxx.local because:
    An operations error occured.
    Try again later, or choose another domain controller by selecting Connect to Domain Controller on the Domain context menu.

I have 3 PCs that won't connect to the domain, the others seem to be working.

Help........ 8O

Ideally I would love reformat/replace the hdd and start from scratch, but its a poor time of year for me to be doing it and I only visit the school for 2 half-days a week, so not enough time to get this done quickly enough.

Thank Post

I know this is a simple suggestion.. but after the power failure did you do a CHKDSK on the volume? to sort out any errors on the disk...

Do you just have the one DC or are there more... if there are more.. does more than one hold the GC Role?

Thank Post

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have done a CHKDSK and it did discover bad sectors on the disk No other DC on the network.

We have decided to get a new hard drive and wipe the server clean and set it up again.......their go three days of my Christmas holidays

Thank Post

Good plan.... wish i cud do that hehe

Hope you got a hefty UPS for the server - get as much minutes as possible hehe its always worth it

And most definately, any server needs a UPS - bar none [unless it doesnt do anything and you have money / time to burn hehe]

If your using APC, think carefully with the Powerchute software....

somehow, mine has gone up the creek and i cant uninstall it etc. which also means i cant install it again, and now, if the USB lead is plugged in [from server to UPS], as soon as theres a power cut - there is no management to automatically turn the server off [except when the battery runs outta power]

Its all fun though right?

Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol i had the same problem ?? spoke to them have been told not to use usb it is not the best way as it can cause errors as i found out also if it not shutting your machine down it mght be due to a basic programme running and you may need to create a script to shut this programme down first befor it will let it shut down your server.

Thank Post

Yes I have done a CHKDSK and it did discover bad sectors on the disk No other DC on the network.

We have decided to get a new hard drive and wipe the server clean and set it up again.......their go three days of my Christmas holidays
    I haven't had to do it myself, but I was curious as to whether you have attempted a repair of the database using the ESE tools?

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies..

@meastaugh1 - I don't know what the ESE tools are?

The UPS is a 800VA Belkin one from PC World:

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/BELUPS14

I think this should be sufficient (for the price). I have used the Belkin Bulldog Shutdown software on my own home PC and its not bad.

I really don't want to have to wipe the server but I may as well becasue:

1) It was setup in 2004 and had no "revamp" since then. I usually work 1/2 a week so very hard to get access to it when no one is accessing it.
    2) The organisation has got abit messy so a nice clean new start is better
    3) I can add a few nice extras such as BGinfo, updated wallpaper, redirected desktops etc.
    4) I am also going to reimage all (IT Suite) client PCs too, so I will be very busy!

Thanks for the help guys!

Thank Post

I don't know what the ESE tools are?
    NTDSUtil and failing that ESEUtil. I haven't had to use them, so don't know how effective they are at repairing these sorts of issues.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread