+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Remote to Removable Drive? in Technical; How can I add a drive share to a removable media storage device? For example, change my F drive on ...
    Thank Post

Remote to Removable Drive?

How can I add a drive share to a removable media storage device? For example, change my F drive on my machine to a F$ drive a machine so I can have access to it anywhere?

Thank Post
    after rereading that, it may not be clear.
    There is currently a c$ drive and an E$ drive on several machines here. I would like to make the F drive (when I have my USB drive plugged in) turn into a F$ drive so I can be even more lazy and just
    //10.1.1.123/f$ into to it instead of plugging it into each machine in a lab. Using a network share would add an extra step as the data gets put onto a usb drive anyhow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    You could in theory format a memory stick in NTFS, but why don't you copy the data to a real network share (on a server), then delete it when finished? It'll probably be much faster then copying it from a memory stick each time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could try creating the share using the Computer Manager (right click my computer->manage) and see if that work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You could in theory format a memory stick in NTFS, but why don't you copy the data to a real network share (on a server), then delete it when finished? It'll probably be much faster then copying it from a memory stick each time.
    It's only because I copy to and take files from this drive. It's my 'toolbox' of drivers, scripts, fonts etc and it holds logs I take from machines. Using the network share just adds a step sometimes.

Maybe there is a GGPO option to make a mounted f drive as f$, or even from a script? I'll look into it and post if I find a solution that way in case others would want it also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Ive got a script that can share a folder that I put together ( a bit more coding as I wanted it to prompt me with a browse for folder dialog etc ) so you could use wmi and win32_share class to make a vbscript to share a specified folder and use autorun.inf to automatically start the vbscript and on insertion of the drive that vbs script would run creating the shared directory for that folder ( you might have to get usbdlm setup and configured on all machines so that the memory stick would always get a specified drive letter so you could do it that or get the current paths drive letter ( which you can do in vbs ) and do it that way ??

You could download and ammend the attached vbs I have to your needs.

The attached script will still need the extra script for ascertaining the current drive letter which may be easier then using usbdlm and also needs the browse for folder code removing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th March 2010 at 06:59 PM.

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

jmair (4th March 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread