+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, 64 bit RAWS for Veritas BE 9.1 in Technical; Hi, We have rejigged our servers. I have old Licence keys for Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 Don't want to pay ...
    Thank Post

64 bit RAWS for Veritas BE 9.1

Hi,

We have rejigged our servers. I have old Licence keys for Veritas Backup Exec 9.1

Don't want to pay for the latest version (would rather get Backup Assist)

Managed to track down the download for it VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Split download 1/6)

Have been able to use the remote install feature to install RAWS "Remote Agent for Windows Servers" on my 32 bit servers.

Our main storage server is Windows Storage Server R2 64 bit. Does there exist a 64 bit version of RAWS/RANT?

If I try to push out the installation I get an error about not supporting 64bit. Interestingly it let me install the full Veritas 9.1 on the 64 bit box after warning me that some drivers were incompatable but as I am not using tape drives I ignored it and it continued.

Also will not be using AOFO as aparently this interferes with VSS and previous versions and can render a volume read only (not sure if this is fixed). Just wanted the acceleration features of the Remote Agent not sure if they require drivers to work therefore nessesitating a 64 bit version.

Also would a new version of the agent work? Don't think it will!

Thank Post

still no luck

Just tried running a msi which was in

"c:\program files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Agents\RANT64\VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers.msi"

got error "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

BTW this server has a Intel Xeon E5405 CPU

Obviously Symantec no longer support such an old version

Also tried the RANT32 version.

Got Error "This installation package is not supported by the 64-bit processor type. Contact your product vendor.
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 3rd March 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Thank Post

Answer

Have found an answer.

The following thread says that support for 64bit processors other than itanium started with BE 10

9.x ONLY supports Itanium processors for 64 bit operation. From a search through support docs for the Xeon processor, it looks like support started with 10.0.5520 HotFix 2.
    but there is a kinda dodgey work around on the same thread

I think I have managed to find a workaround to this problem that everyone is experiencing with installing the agent. I have not fully tested it yet but have added it to our backup schedule for tonight and will have some further results tomorrow.

If you have another server with the BE agent installed on then copy the entire Veritas directory from \Program files to the 64 bit server under the \Program Files (x64)\ folder. I copied the standard 32bit version of the agent from a Windows 2003 32 standard server but think all the 32 bit installs are the same.

I then exported the folowing key from the original server HKLM\System\Current control set\services\BackupExecAgentAccelerator

Export the entire key and then impot it to the 64 bit server then go into regedit and change the HKLM\System\Current control set\services\BackupExecAgentAccelerator\Imagepath key so that the path is now ...\Program Files (x64)\...

The server will need a restart for the BE service to start but so far all drives etc have appeared as normal on my backup server and have added them to my scheduled job, will give some feed back tomorrow on its success.
    others say it worked for them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread