+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, IP Address on Windows Vista in Technical; So far only 3 machines, in the admin office! 1 is on vista and the other 2 are running xp!...

Thank Post
    So far only 3 machines, in the admin office!

1 is on vista and the other 2 are running xp!

Thank Post
    Deffo a DNS Issue, i would recove the stale records and go from there ....... reloading DNS would be a last resort and could cause major issues with Exchange and AD.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    yeah i wouldnt do it on an exchange box! scavaging the records is probly a good start - i just didnt think of that! have you checked to see if there are an other errors with machines not pointing to the right place? also you may want to check that DHCP is set up to update the DNS, theres a guide here Using DNS servers with DHCP: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)

Thank Post
    If i was you do that scavange the records now and then do a DNS Flush on your local machine (ipconfig /flushdns). Then type nslookup (Machine Name) this will return to you the IP address that is associated with that computer name in DNS.

Let us know

Pete :-)

Thank Post
    Did scavenge the records and nslookup shows the ip address which is on DNS but then checked the ipconfig of the machine and it is the one listed on DHCP!

Now what would happen if i deleted the IP address on DHCP and rebooted the machine? Would that renew the ip address of that machine to the one on DNS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Did scavenge the records and nslookup shows the ip address which is on DNS but then checked the ipconfig of the machine and it is the one listed on DHCP!

Now what would happen if i deleted the IP address on DHCP and rebooted the machine? Would that renew the ip address of that machine to the one on DNS?
    you may find that it still gets the same lease, try just deleting the DNS record for the PC then do ipconfig/renew, should then register itself with the DNS servers again.

what are you DHCP lease times? also is DHCP set to update DNS?

Toby

Thank Post
    DHCP lease time is set to 8 days and DNS is set to update as well! I reckon there is a conflict somewhere between the 2003 server R2 and this vista machine!

So do you think i should delete the DNS entry and reboot the machine?

Thank Post
    DHCP lease time is set to 8 days and DNS is set to update as well! I reckon there is a conflict somewhere between the 2003 server R2 and this vista machine!

So do you think i should delete the DNS entry and reboot the machine?
    delete the address, i wouldnt say its a conflict between the machine, but personally i wouldn't have the DHCP set to that length of time, ours is set for 12 hours, as we shut down all machines at night they then get a new address in the morning plus the DNS gets updated with a new lease time, is there any DNS errors in event viewer, or any thing related in the clients?

Toby

Thank Post
    no errors in event viewer for DNS! When you say delete the address, do you mean delete the machine name under DNS?

Thank Post
    no errors in event viewer for DNS! When you say delete the address, do you mean delete the machine name under DNS?
    yep, just find the record thats wrong and delete it, but i would consider reducing the time for the DHCP lease, just my personal view but think it could save problems in the long run.

Toby

Thank Post
    Under the scope for our server the lease duration for clients is set to 8 days, if i change it to 12 hours, would that affect any of our switches? The switches dont have static ip addresses so it should be ok?

Also do i do this when everything is shut down? Or can i do this now and wont affect the network running?

And if i find the machine name under DNS, do i just right click and delete it? Then reboot the machine?

Thank Post
    Under the scope for our server the lease duration for clients is set to 8 days, if i change it to 12 hours, would that affect any of our switches? The switches dont have static ip addresses so it should be ok?

Also do i do this when everything is shut down? Or can i do this now and wont affect the network running?

And if i find the machine name under DNS, do i just right click and delete it? Then reboot the machine?
    for the DNS that it correct. I can't comment on the Switches as i have never used ones that get a DHCP address, all ours are static. if you changed the lease to 12 hours the clients with an existing lease should not be affected as they have a lease already.

you might want to wait for somebody that knows more about switching then me to let you know about that.

Toby

Thank Post

Red face

Stop there, why are you not using Static IP Addressing for Switches ? ...... If you change the lease time it wont affect your switches till you power cycle as they have a current lease, but i would change them to static, we have 26 vlans and all our switches are on a static range ie 10.10.0.1 - 254 and printers the same but 10.10.1.1 - 254.

Back to your problem i would delete the A Host record in DNS the one that you see in the forward lookup zone, i take it you dont have any reverse lookups ?. And then do a ipconfig /release and then a renew as it tells the DHCP server that you are requesting a new IP not the same Lease, if its Vista dont forget to right click on Command Prompt and Select Run as Administrator.

Hope this Helps

Peter
    Last edited by PeterG; 2nd March 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Stop there, why are you not using Static IP Addressing for Switches ? ...... If you change the lease time it wont affect your switches till you power cycle as they have a current lease.
    I would defo put the switches onto statics if you can

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12