+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, offline files cache in Technical; hi guys now, i'm sure i know what the answer to this will be, but lets give it a go ...

Thank Post

offline files cache

hi guys

now, i'm sure i know what the answer to this will be, but lets give it a go anyway!!

i've got a laptop with a faulty hard drive. the OS has corrupted, and it doesn't recognise that it actually has windows installed on it at all, so i can't do a repair on it either.

now, i can take the hard drive out of the laptop and browse it as an external drive on another computer just fine.

my question is, is there a way i can get files from the offline cache of that hard drive? i know where the directory is that they are stored, but as i'm sure you're aware, they're just stored as random SYS files!

the member of staff who's laptop it is has been working on the laptop quite a lot at the weekend and is desperate for the files back.

is there a program that can pull files out of it, or can i put the cache onto another computer and get them out of the cache that way??

sdc
    Thank Post
    Hi

I've successfully recovered offline files in this situation using CSCCmd - you can download it here (link just checked OK).

Info on using this can be found here.

Hope that helps!
    Stephen

Thank Post
    hi

i just had a read through the instructions, and as far as i can see then this applies more to an offline cache that may have stopped working, but i cannot actually get access to the hard drive properly, only by plugging it in to an external caddy

sdc
    Thank Post
    Hi

It was a while ago I used this, but it was in a similar situation - the laptop's hard disk had corrupted; however, I took the drive out and could access the files OK in a caddy as you say.

AS I recall, what I did was to copy the offline files folder (which, if I remember correctly, is called CSC within the Windows folder), to a separate location, then copy it as CSCold to the newly installed hard disk with Windows running - but offline files turned off. Then, using CSCCMD, I was able to effectively 'copy' the offline files from the CSCold folder to the new one, so that Windows was then able to synchronise properly.

I'll have a dig around a bit further and see what else I can remember!! If anything useful surfaces in my brain I'll get back to you!

Stephen

Thank Post
    ok thats brilliant. i've got a replacement hard drive in it and am just waiting for it to finish installing the OS on there now.

only one point, as these offlines files are owned by a domain user, how will this work in recovering them? will they still keep all ownerships i assume?

thanks for the help!

sdc
    Thank Post
    From memory, I think we got the user concerned to log in before copying the CSC folder across and running the tool. That way, at least, we could be sure that the files were associated with that user. It worked perfectly for us; as a secondary route, you are also able to extract files from the offline cache, so even if the straight migration doesn't work, you can at least get at the files!

Hope it works out for you!

Thank Post
    ah ok brilliant

only other concern i have there, is that when running the CSCcmd /enable command, i'm told that i don't have sufficient rights!!

i think it would be safe to assume that a teacher account definitely won't have the permissions!

i guess that i can't just do a straight copy & paste of the CSC folder, as there will be some SYS files in there which relate to Windows files yes?

will have to see what i can come up with....

sdc
    Thank Post
    Yes, as I understand it, the folder contains all the laptop's users' offline files, so they will all be combined - and I suspect Windows wouldn't take too kindly to the CSC folder simply being copied across. However, I guess if you've kept a copy of the original, then there's no harm in trying that! Be interesting to see if it can just 'work it out' for itself!!

The insufficient rights error is a bit weird - assuming you have local administrator rights, it should work OK. Not seen the error message before, I'm afraid, so not sure what could be causing that. Someone else may well have done, though!!

Thank Post
    ok well i will have a crack at that then.

i should have all the required rights as i am a domain admin!!

i will see if it can just "work it out", as this would save a lot of hassle

sdc
    Thank Post
    OK - please let me know how you get on!

Thank Post
    unfortunately i am going to be unable to test whether i can get this to work, as the member of staff is no longer urgent for the files back and it would create a lot more work to do this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread