+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Login Script .. in Technical; Good afternoon all .. Right, one of the schools I work at is yet to invest in a DC so ...
    Thank Post

Login Script ..

Good afternoon all ..

Right, one of the schools I work at is yet to invest in a DC so I'm left with a workgroup setup which they want DC style things doing to (bloody hard work .. but there we go).

Anyway, I'm looking to use login / startup scripts that are stored on our central server (a little ubuntu box) so that I can configure things centrally and allow for Proxy Settings / Default Printers / etc.

Now, the Start Up Script seems to be pulling ok as this is a central script on the machine settings (obviously) however, in XP, Login Scripts would appear to be on a per user basis so the local admin account I'm using is set up perfectly, but how do I go about getting the Login Script into the other users on the machines?

Each machine has the Main Admin Account, and ICT Admin Account (different easier to remember password essentially is the difference so that as we move to a DC at somepoint in the next 6 months or so (fingers crossed) I don't have to give out one of our secure ones and all that jazz) a Pupil Account which is restricted and a Staff Account which is a Power User.

So, is there a way to set a login script for every user or do I have to elevate all the non admins to being admins, set the login script then set them back to get it to work? Bearing in mind I'd rather use a BAT or VBS script to do this from the admin account so I don't have to logon to the 30 machines in the suite, plus the school laptops / staff laptops for each user account.

Thanks for any help offered.
    Andy

Thank Post
    try placing the scripts in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftGrant View Post
    try placing the scripts in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Did that, but then the user doesn't have the permission for some of the functions within the login script sadly .. plus they can stop the script running by closing the CMD screen.

Thanks tho.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Did that, but then the user doesn't have the permission for some of the functions within the login script sadly .. plus they can stop the script running by closing the CMD screen.

Thanks tho.
    make them local admins or is that over kill ?? Also if you go into local security ( control panel --> administrative tools --> local security ) you should be able to find somewhere in there about making bat / command prompts run minimized or not visible or something ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    make them local admins or is that over kill ?? Also if you go into local security ( control panel --> administrative tools --> local security ) you should be able to find somewhere in there about making bat / command prompts run minimized or not visible or something ?
    Trying to move away from having them as local admins. Essentially, trying to create a more networked like environment by restricting and drip feeding in the move to a DC that I really hope will happy shortly! lol ..

I'll have a look at the batch silent thing. I was using a tool (hstart) to run a script which then called a script and ran it as hidden which was one way round it, but it's clunky (but hey without a DC it's all going to be a bit clunky! lol)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What are you wanting to do with the user script that needs admin rights? In general, machine startup scripts do the admin type stuff; user login scripts do the personal stuff which doesn't normally need admin rights.

To run the script hidden, run gpedit.msc on the machine and go to user config | admin templates | system | scripts and choose "run legacy logon scripts hidden" and "run logon scripts hidden" and enable them.

You can configure a logon script for each user by doing:

Code:
    net user <username> /scriptpath:<mylogon.cmd>
    I think that the file mylogon.cmd has to be in a netlogon share on the local machine which adds to the difficulty!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    What are you wanting to do with the user script that needs admin rights? In general, machine startup scripts do the admin type stuff; user login scripts do the personal stuff which doesn't normally need admin rights.
    Delete the All Users Desktop Items and recreate icons, but I guess I could do this with the startup script thinking more logically about it ..

It's a Friday .. that's my only excuse .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Just re-hashed my scripts and testing to see if I can manage it by using the startup to do the adminy bits then back to the old hidden BAT for the rest .. fingers crossed!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread