+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Home folder size information in Technical; Hello, all.. This is something which has always irked me slightly, and it's now becoming a bit tiresome with the ...

Thank Post

Home folder size information

Hello, all..

This is something which has always irked me slightly, and it's now becoming a bit tiresome with the HD calls.

All of our users get drive H: mapped to their home folder.
    It's viewable in My Computer, as you'd expect.
    The H: drives are quota controlled at 500Mb each user.

If you look at the properties of the H: drive in My Computer, it shows how much is available on the entire server, rather than the H: drive.

For example, mine says Free Space: 306Gb, Total Size 478Gb - which I'd love to be true, but isn't the case

Is there some way of tweaking Windows to report the correct size??? Either a patch or additional (free!) application?

Regards,
    Gerard

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gerardsweeney View Post
    Hello, all..

This is something which has always irked me slightly, and it's now becoming a bit tiresome with the HD calls.

All of our users get drive H: mapped to their home folder.
    It's viewable in My Computer, as you'd expect.
    The H: drives are quota controlled at 500Mb each user.

If you look at the properties of the H: drive in My Computer, it shows how much is available on the entire server, rather than the H: drive.

For example, mine says Free Space: 306Gb, Total Size 478Gb - which I'd love to be true, but isn't the case

Is there some way of tweaking Windows to report the correct size??? Either a patch or additional (free!) application?

Regards,
    Gerard
    What server edition are you using. or are you just using quotas. Windows Storage server does the job properly.

Thank Post
    Hi, there..

I'm not 100% certain - I am but the lowly desktop admin who gets hit with the issues first.

I think it's just quotas running on a 2003 server.

I was kind of hoping there was a client plugin or similar, but the network guys don't think there is. GAH.

Thank Post
    I noticed this problem when moving to FSRM. The old Windows disk quota software would report to explorer how much space was available to the user but FSRM doesn't do this. It's a bit of a pain.

Thank Post
    Ah... I think this is the source of the problem:

The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog : Why disk space is incorrectly reported on folders where File Server Resource Manager quotas are enabled
    and
    WWoIT - Wayne's World of IT: FSRM and NTFS Quotas in 2003 R2

The user home folder structure on our servers is:

E:\Pupils\pupilusername1
    E:\Pupils\pupilusername2

E:\Staff\staffusername1
    E:\Staff\staffusername2

According to the Technet link above, our IT guys would need to change it to:

E:\pupilusername1
    E:\pupilusername2
    E:\staffusername1
    E:\staffusername2

I somehow don't think that's going to happen anytime ever!!

Luckily, it's all fixed if the client is using Vista and the server is 2008. So that's alright then - I'll just let the users know we only need to wait another couple of years for us to move to Windows 7!!

Thank Post
    I have a VERY similar setup as the way that you have yours setup, and mine reports correctly Using windows 2003 server and Windows XP desktops. Maybe (although I don't know) the issue maybe are you enforcing the quotas? There is a select to not allow the users to exceed their limits. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    We used to have this problem and I recall it was a 'feature' of windows fileservers - when we moved the home directories on a linux Samba server with quota's the properties correctly display the size of the homearea in XP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ckuntz01 View Post
    I have a VERY similar setup as the way that you have yours setup, and mine reports correctly Using windows 2003 server and Windows XP desktops. Maybe (although I don't know) the issue maybe are you enforcing the quotas? There is a select to not allow the users to exceed their limits. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    I'm not familiar with the server setup, but is there any chance you could list your setup so I can forward it onto our IT guys - hopefully one of them will be willing to contrast and compare.

(3 more calls in since this morning - all saying "my home folder CAN'T be full - it says I've got 500Gb free" - ARRGH!)

Regards,
    Gerard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We used to have this problem and I recall it was a 'feature' of windows fileservers - when we moved the home directories on a linux Samba server with quota's the properties correctly display the size of the homearea in XP.

It's just the way that SMB is implemented in pre Vista/2008. The issue is resolved in SMB2 but they didn't backport the fix.

For Windows XP clients, the workaround is to have the quota on the root of the share (like in case 1). This has been fixed for SMB 2.0 and will not be a problem when clients running Windows Vista access servers running Windows Server "Longhorn."
    http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...26/458221.aspx

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    they didn't backport the fix.
    Cos - y'know - that'd be too much like being helpful for Microsoft's liking!!

Yes, we could fix it.. Uh-huh... Or... You could move your infrastructure to our entirely new server software. Free upgrade?? Are you having a laugh?!

Only in the IT world could this happen.

Imagine a car company.. Their VroomVroom2003 has a fault whereby the fuel gauge is faulty, and permanently says that the driver has plenty of petrol left.

They openly acknowledge the fault. When asked if they will fix the fault, or at least make a spare part available for customers to have fitted, they tell the customer that they need to buy their VroomVroom2008 model instead. At full cost.

Bet Toyota wish they could adopt the Microsoft approach!!

(Sorry - I'm having a bad week with software companies!!)

Thanks for all of the replies so far, folks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    yeah - it's funny that unix/apple/linux all had it working before microsoft - and SMB/CIFS is traditionally MS's main file transfer system

Thank Post
    Cos - y'know - that'd be too much like being helpful for Microsoft's liking!!

Yes, we could fix it.. Uh-huh... Or... You could move your infrastructure to our entirely new server software. Free upgrade?? Are you having a laugh?!

Only in the IT world could this happen.

Imagine a car company.. Their VroomVroom2003 has a fault whereby the fuel gauge is faulty, and permanently says that the driver has plenty of petrol left.

They openly acknowledge the fault. When asked if they will fix the fault, or at least make a spare part available for customers to have fitted, they tell the customer that they need to buy their VroomVroom2008 model instead. At full cost.

Bet Toyota wish they could adopt the Microsoft approach!!

(Sorry - I'm having a bad week with software companies!!)

Thanks for all of the replies so far, folks.

Look at the issues with SMB2. SMB is nice and stable why spend all that effort backporting to fix an issue that really doesn't bother that many people, can be worked around and is fixed in the latest release. It doesn't make any financial sense to divert engineering resources to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    can be worked around and is fixed in the latest release.

Sorry - sounding dense here... What do you mean the issue is fixed in the latest release?

Do you mean if the clients move to Vista/7?

Thank Post
    Sorry - sounding dense here... What do you mean the issue is fixed in the latest release?

Do you mean if the clients move to Vista/7?

Yes Vista/7 are the latest release of the Windows client. I was reasoning from an MS perspective.

Thank Post
    Heh... You Devil's Advocate, you..

Unfortunately, the purchasing limits on our council mean it'll likely be at least 4 years before all of the PCs are Win7. By which point, approximately 10 billion folk will logged calls with us saying that their H: drives are empty.
    I exaggerate - 9 billion.

Maybe M$ will fix it with XP SP4? (What? What's everyone looking at me like that for?!?!)

I'm firmly in "almost hometime" mode now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast