Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Home folder size information in Technical; Originally Posted by gerardsweeney Sorry - sounding dense here... What do you mean the issue is fixed in the latest ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gerardsweeney View Post
    Sorry - sounding dense here... What do you mean the issue is fixed in the latest release?

Do you mean if the clients move to Vista/7?
    It's a server2003 problem, the clients are fine... I think he means fixed in the latest server release

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It's a server2003 problem, the clients are fine... I think he means fixed in the latest server release

According to the blog it's a protocol issue SMB, this is fixed in SMB2. So it's a client/server issue pre Vista/2008.

Thank Post
    That's how I initially read it as well - it'll resolve itself when you move to Server 2008 AND Windows 7/Vista... So that's alright then - just 4 years for us to wait!

Server 2003 SP3, perhaps?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    According to the blog it's a protocol issue SMB, this is fixed in SMB2. So it's a client/server issue pre Vista/2008.
    it works fine on xp if you use samba (*nix) or 2008 on the server - without updating the client

Thank Post
    The user home folder structure on our servers is:

E:\Pupils\pupilusername1
    E:\Pupils\pupilusername2

E:\Staff\staffusername1
    E:\Staff\staffusername2

According to the Technet link above, our IT guys would need to change it to:

E:\pupilusername1
    E:\pupilusername2
    E:\staffusername1
    E:\staffusername2
    No. It's caused by having one share to have all users data fetched from, not the actual layout inside said share. If you want accurate quotas, each user must have their own share, and their home drive mapped to \\server\usershare instead of \\server\allusershare\individual\users\directory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    No. It's caused by having one share to have all users data fetched from, not the actual layout inside said share. If you want accurate quotas, each user must have their own share, and their home drive mapped to \\server\usershare instead of \\server\allusershare\individual\users\directory.

When we had usershares on win2k3 they were setup with their own share \\server\usershare - and it didn't display the quota, as soon as we moved to redhat it did.

Thank Post
    When we had usershares on win2k3 they were setup with their own share \\server\usershare - and it didn't display the quota, as soon as we moved to redhat it did.

Dunno like I say the info is in the link and it doesn't work with FSRM unless you setup a share for each user folder. On Red Hat you aren't using FSRM.

We did use windows NTFS disk quotas before FSRM and that always displayed the correct amount of available space to the user and we had the shares setup the same so it's something to do with FSRMand SMB (the MS implementation of it not the Samba version).
    I think Windows disk quotas used an NTFS feature to pass the information but FSRM doesn't it uses SMB.

Case 1: (quota on the root of a share)
    Volume D:\ with 20 GB free space
    D:\foo is shared as \\server\foo
    There is a 100 MB hard quota on D:\foo
    On the client, \\server\foo maps to O:\. Then the free space reported on O:\ will be 100 MB

Case 2: (quota on subfolder in a share)
    Volume D:\ with 20 GB free space
    D:\foo is shared as \\server\foo
    There is a 100 MB hard quota on D:\foo\bar
    On the client, \\server\foo\bar maps to O:\. Then the free space reported on O:\ will be 20 GB because SMB directs all free space queries to \\server\foo

For Windows XP clients, the workaround is to have the quota on the root of the share (like in case 1). This has been fixed for SMB 2.0 and will not be a problem when clients running Windows Vista access servers running Windows Server "Longhorn."
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 19th February 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Hmm, dunno. It's worked for me everywhere I've done it.

Thank Post
    it doesn't work with FSRM
    Agreed. Ye olde volume quotas work fine, but I hit this issue with XP -> 2008 and *folder* quotas a year ago.

Thank Post
    I'm not familiar with the server setup, but is there any chance you could list your setup so I can forward it onto our IT guys - hopefully one of them will be willing to contrast and compare.

(3 more calls in since this morning - all saying "my home folder CAN'T be full - it says I've got 500Gb free" - ARRGH!)

Regards,
    Gerard
    Attached is a screenshot of the quotas as I have them setup. Nothing really special.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    @ gerardsweeney: what quote system are they using? This is very important as FSRM will tell a user how much space a user has left in a folder. NTFS quotas like ckuntz01 has posted above works on file ownership per volume. This can create confusion as it may appear that a user has 200Mb of data in their home folder but they may have 600Mb on the volume, shared folders etc.

Ever since native disk quotas were introduced with Windows 2000 Server, however, administrators have been requesting the ability to assign disk quotas differently. Traditional Windows disk quotas are calculated using files’ logical size and are based on the user owning a file, not necessarily the user maintaining or storing the file. Also, Windows servers previously lacked the ability to natively configure disk quotas on multiple volumes or folders simultaneously, such as would prove helpful in larger enterprise environments.
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6117811.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd277427.aspx
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 19th February 2010 at 06:58 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12