+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Diskeeper 2010, failing to defrag in Technical; Hi, Is anyone here trialed or using diskeeper 2010. I am running it on a small collection of servers but ...
    Thank Post

Diskeeper 2010, failing to defrag

Hi,

Is anyone here trialed or using diskeeper 2010.

I am running it on a small collection of servers but im having a few issues. After i have installed it it works fine when i try and do an on-demand defrag. Once i have restarted the machine each time i press the manual defrag option i get the message 'The defragment option your requested failed to start on G Drive (G. For more information refer to the diskeeper help and windows event log' and it seems to be happening on all volumes, i have checked the eventlog and there isnt much in there.

Occasionally i have errors saying that it failed to start the defrag engine on drive x, looking on the diskeeper website it says i should alter the file permissions to allow administrators and system full accessto the drive, which i have done.

On a side note i occasionally receive EventID: 11, Source Disk errors
    'he driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0' I have ran chkdks /f on all my volumes before windows starts, and checked the drives using teh manufactures smart diagnostic tools which say that the drives pass.

Has anyone else had this problem, before i try it on another machine and/or contact diskeepers trial support.

Thank Post

Just an update

Within the various diskeeper registry settings there is an option to enable controller logging, once this was turned on i was able to see what diskeeper is doing.

It would appear for each of my volumes it is logging the following when i want to perform a manual defrag.

02/17/10 15:54:04 1 F: NfsManTveExDfg 0x00000000 Cancelled due to no battery/vss/low battery
    02/17/10 16:16:44 2 G: NfsManTveExDfg 0x00000000 Cancelled due to no battery/vss/low battery
    02/17/10 17:14:00 0 C: NfsManTveExDfg 0x00000000 Cancelled due to no battery/vss/low battery

The strange thing is that i have removed vss from the drives and checked all battery backups (and turned off diskeepers power management option) and still no change. Think i may have to ask the nice people at diskeeper.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread