+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, svchost/wuauclt.exe 100% cpu usage in Technical; I do wonder if it's down to the Office update sizes themselves. For example, there's one update to Excel 2007 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I do wonder if it's down to the Office update sizes themselves. For example, there's one update to Excel 2007 this month that's 11MB. Bit of a joke if you ask me!

Thank Post
    I googled for WUAUCLT 100% CPU and turned up a few possible fixes but have not had time to investigate yet. My laptop has been OK since the one terrible boot up.

Thank Post
    I thought this was a know problem, try this patch

http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archiv...follow-up.aspx

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    there's not a huge amount I can do as its a 3rd party managed admin network. supposedly some other schools in lancashire have had the same problem and have been fixed but im not sure how.Im a bit reluctant to approve any updates to our own academic machines after this and without knowing what the best fix is.

Thank Post
    The problem returned to my laptop. I disabled the AutoUpdate service but found that I could no longer do manual Windows Updates!

I've since upgraded RAM to 2Gb and re-enabled AutoUpdate. The problems have not recurred. I speculate therefore that the WindowsUpdate service was taking up a lot of RAM and causing lots of paging to take place.

Thank Post

Exclamation Having really bad problems with this

I'm frantically working on images for each of the labs as school gets in in TWO weeks, and I'm really pressured. Everything is going great, except for all of the sudden, EACH of my images [I have 7 machines out on a table each a sample of a different lab in the school] and working on them.

I start by installing my latest slipstreamed XP with SP3 disc, and then installing drivers, and then Office 2003 Professional and Office OneNote 2007 [since the teachers use Wacom Cintiq tablet displays and Office OneNote 2007 has better handwriting recognition]. Then I go to Windows Update, download all updates, go again, and again, etc. you know the drill, until all the fixes etc. for Office Updates have been updated fro Microsoft Update, and eventually shows 0 updates left.

Also install all optional updates, including Windows Search 4.0 [a possible culprit? not sure].

So here I am. All machines are now showing 100% CPU utilization on SvcHost.exe. 10 minutes after the machine has booted up, it goes away and returns to normal and the machine is usable again.

Some machine hardware samples:
    -Dell GX260 // Pentium 4 2GHz // 512MB PC2100 RAM // 40GB HD
    -Dell GX240 // Pentium 4 1.8GHz // 512MB PC133 RAM // 40GB HD
    -Compaq Evo D5S // Pentium 4 1.7GHz // 512MB PC133 RAM // 40GB HD

If I run Windows Update [as I always do from the website on each machine, I don't run a WSUS server], the CPU utilization goes right back up, and after the updates finish and I've closed Internet Explorer, it remains at 100% until 5 minutes or so pass. Then it settles down again. I thought by now that Microsoft would have fixed this issue.

So I check the Process ID, it's the SVCHOST thats carrying the list of like, 15 processes, as opposed to the other SVCHOST processes that are only running 1. Hope this helps, I'd love to get this fixed, as the idea is to have students NOT wait 10 minutes for login, that was the whole reason I started this huge imaging and hardware upgrade deal.

Thanks guys.

tjb
    Thank Post
    @ Link470 - We had the same issue last year and used this fix which we had to get directly from Microsoft under our Gold Partner status on all of our workstations. Try it on one PC and see if it fixes the problem. I eventually added it to our image when we next rolled it out. Good luck!

Ooops the file is 6MB so I can't upload! PM me your email address and I'll email it to you

UPDATED: The file is called windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe which you can Google and get a link directly from Microsoft to download it.
    Last edited by tjb; 22nd August 2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Updated

8. Thanks to tjb from:

link470 (22nd August 2008)

Thank Post
    Thank you very much for your reply tjb! Much appreciated. I'll download that file and save it if I need it. For some reason, the machines stopped doing their CPU 100% deal for SVCHOST...at least for the past few hours they have. I've been watching them closely. I did the next step in my builds, adding the sample machine to our domain, and it stopped. Of course, my domain rules the machine to have automatic updates turned off, but I'm logged in as local administrator still at the moment and have yet to log in as a domain account. We'll see what happens next! Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you follow back through this thread then you'll see that this was a known problem which MS fixed quite a while ago - as @tjb says, the fix is a change to the windows update software itself but that should just come down automatically.

You mention desktop search; unless your machines are pretty powerful then I would definitely not include this - it really can slug performance (to be fair to MS, most search software can slug performance on a low spec machine; it's a big job to index a complete hard drive!). It's also not terribly useful unless your users save files on the local drive.

Thank Post
    I've found that Office updates cause any machine under 2GHz to slow down when you compare them to most windows patches they're monsters, when the client actually gets around to applying the updates they crunch away for ages.

Excluding C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution in the AV software sometimes helps on older clients.

Thank Post
    I've just built an XP XP3 box with Office 2003 SP3 and the Office 2007 compatibility pack and the amount of updates is silly, first it puts on the compat pack SP1 (suppose i can stop distributing it via GP now) then a security update for it 7.3Mb, then a further 10 Office 2003 updates weighing in at 34 Mb in total.

Wow that's quite a bit considering i have the latest Office 2003 SP on.

Thank Post
    Just out of curiousness.... does everyone in the previous posts install from a Administrative Install share, or just from the CD's plonked on a share, or from a CD? hehe

I slipstream the hotfixes also into the Administrative Install and seems to work, although some times, they appear in WU / MU still

A restart before visiting MU or opening a Office app could well be it.

Would be interesting to see whether those with the problem are installing it the same way to begin with.

Nath.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I've just built an XP XP3 box with Office 2003 SP3 and the Office 2007 compatibility pack and the amount of updates is silly, first it puts on the compat pack SP1 (suppose i can stop distributing it via GP now) then a security update for it 7.3Mb, then a further 10 Office 2003 updates weighing in at 34 Mb in total.

Wow that's quite a bit considering i have the latest Office 2003 SP on.
    Well, yes, but the "latest" service pack is not very recent - I think it was released about a year ago and there have been quite a number of fixes released since then.

I'd guess there's a balance between having a reliable install process (which replaces "big" files and should work) and some kind of patching process (which would just change the necessary bits of files but could fail if the files get mixed up in some way).

Given that the updates do get installed automatically, does it really matter if there are lots of them? I think I'd prefer to have regular updates to fix problems rather than MS (and others) just hiding things and hoping no-one notices :-)

Thank Post
    I think I'd prefer to have regular updates to fix problems rather than MS (and others) just hiding things and hoping no-one notices :-)
    The hiding still goes on trust me

Thank Post
    Has anyone found a fix for this? Ive tried a hell of alot of things on the goog with no luck so far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12