+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Kaspersky Install in Technical; Hi We just bought Kaspersky and i was about to install Kaspersky Administration Kit on the server. Now at the ...

Thank Post

Kaspersky Install

Hi

We just bought Kaspersky and i was about to install Kaspersky Administration Kit on the server.

Now at the moment we have Symantec installed on the server and all stations are managed through the server.
    Now i have been told that i need to uninstall Symantec of the server manually and then go round and uninstall all symantec products on stations just to make sure everything is removed!

Is kaspersky quite easy to install on the server?

Thank Post
    Yes, it is fairly straight forward to install and setup, most of the steps being pretty intuitive to do, and those that aren't, there is a very good step-by-step guide available for it.

If you run into any problems, I found the Kaspersky labs technical support to be EXCELLENT. I just rang them up, and they talked me through every problem on the phone there and then.

As to uninstallation on the workstations, as long as you do not have some custom modified versions of the antivirus, such as RM Virus Protect, Kaspersky has the ability to uninstall most of these (though it does have the odd bit of trouble removing the trial version of McAffee Security Center).

Thank Post
    Kaspersky was very easy to setup, but I find its deployment mechanism a bit clunky and prefer to install it manualy from the KLSHARE file share it sets up on the server. Not sure how well it handles un-installing other virus programs, as we introduced it as part of our new network, so everything was a clean image anyway.

The only thing I've had problems with using Kaspersky is the updates on wireless laptops, but I've written a script to overcome this which forces an update once a week regardless of what the admin console tells it to do - this has worked and turned all my red computers green in the console (You can find it in the script section on this site)

Also watch for the proactive protection feature (or whatever it's called) as I found this tended to stop legitimate programs like lanschool from running as well as having a massive performance hit on the machines, so I've turned that off school wide now.

Mike.

Thank Post
    personally I set them for file, Web, Mail (where people use outlook etc), Intrusion detection (aka firewall), and turn all the others off.

Updating policies/rules/settings on clients is ridiculously easy too; simply goto the policy you've created, change/add what is needed, and hit save; it will then push out those changes as soon as that client is next visible on the network!

Thank Post
    So i installed kaspersky admin kit on the server and then deployed kaspersky server protection to the server and all installed fine.
    I even managed to installed kaspersky workstation on one of the pc and all was fine.

But then the following day i get a call from the admin team saying they cant log on to sims! I can log on to SIMS fine on the server but for some reason something was blocking the user logon to our sims server.
    The admin station was never touched and i never even got around installing kaspersky on it so it must be something on the server that was blocking it!
    Any ideas guys? Have you come across teh same problem?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It probably has a firewall component that is blocking connections to the SQL backend of SIMS, you may need to add an exception for it or disable the firewall component and use the built in server one.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 17th February 2010 at 12:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread