+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Adobe Reader 9.2 and 9.3 crash when started in Technical; Adobe Reader 9.2 and 9.3 "Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe The application has requested ...

Thank Post

Question Adobe Reader 9.2 and 9.3 crash when started

Adobe Reader 9.2 and 9.3

"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
    The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. "

We're using Windows XP SP 3.

When logged on as an administrator it works fine but for everyone else it always does the above.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you using redirected Appdata folders, that was the standard cause for this which I though Adobe had fixed. We gave up on Acrobat as it gets worse and worse the higher the version number.

Moved over to Foxit PDF reader which is about 1/7th the size 20 times as quick and does everything we need it to as well as being a MSI for easy GP deployment. I highly recommend it as it gets rid of many hassles.

Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dirtydog (9th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Yep, this is the exact symptom you get when using AppData redirection to a UNC path. Your Administrator account works because it has a local AppData path.

Adobe claimed that 'some changes' were made in 9.1 to try and help this, but they never fixed it. Adobe officially dropped support for redirected AppData in 9.1, because they knew full well it didn't work (it was previously supported before 9.1).

If you redirect to a mapped drive letter, it works, but not to UNC path. This is because one of the DLLs in Reader attempts to open a handle to the root of the AppData path at launch, which it computes by looking at everything up to and including the first \ in the path. For an AppData directory that resides on a drive (i.e. C:\Users\Joe\AppData) this comes out as C:\ and is valid, but if it's a UNC path (i.e. \\server\Users\Joe\AppData) it comes out as \, which is not a valid path. Adobe are too arrogant to put in any exception handling, so it just crashes. Premiere Elements 9 has a similar bug, FYI.

5. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

dirtydog (9th February 2010), mac_shinobi (9th February 2010)

Thank Post
    We have the exact same problem with Adobe Master Collection. It hates UNC paths and simply doesnt work with them, everything has to be to mapped drives i.e. if you open a premiere pro cs4 sequence from a unc path it doesnt playback, open the exact same sequence from a mapped H drive, works fine.

Weird.

Thank Post
    We use vista here, and I had to use "set all users to run it in XPSP2 compatibility mode"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Adobe claimed that 'some changes' were made in 9.1 to try and help this, but they never fixed it. Adobe officially dropped support for redirected AppData in 9.1, because they knew full well it didn't work (it was previously supported before 9.1).
    I think I read somewhere Adobe are/were fixing this issue properly in Adobe Acrobat/Reader v10.0. Not sure if this will happen though given how inept their programmers are.

Thank Post
    Strange.

I folder redirect app data and version 9.0 was broken like this (downgrade to 8.x fixed it), but I do *not* get this problem with 9.3.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    I folder redirect app data and version 9.0 was broken like this (downgrade to 8.x fixed it), but I do *not* get this problem with 9.3.
    That's interesting to hear. I have to say stopped testing for it after 9.2 since I now redirect AppData to a mapped drive, but I hadn't previously heard anything abut this changing in 9.3.

Thank Post
    We are thinking of rolling back to 7.0 as we have major issues when printing from 9.1 The file prints first page then stops, can print 5 or so pages and then stop or simply does nothing

Thank Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use anything older than the latest version of Adobe Reader due to the huge number of security vulnerabilities they contain. The following is what Secunia have to say about v7.0 (Link).

The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Adobe Reader 7.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Highly critical.
    A better alternative would be PDF-XChange Viewer or FoxIt Reader. Both have .msi's available to download that make them easier to deploy. Whatever you do though, do not use the FoxIt Reader EXE installer as it will install a toolbar and change your homepage if you are not careful.

Out of those two PDF readers, I would choose PDFX-Change Viewer myself because it has features that would normally require you to pay extra for in FoxIt Reader. Text also seems to look a little better too (at least to my eyes).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Out of those two PDF readers, I would choose PDFX-Change Viewer myself because it has features that would normally require you to pay extra for in FoxIt Reader. Text also seems to look a little better too (at least to my eyes).
    I have to say I was almost sold on PDFX-Change until I saw all the ugly greyed-out Pro-only menu items, and found that it didn't install an IFilter, so no previewing in Outlook. Oh well.

Thank Post
    I didn't like those Pro-only menu items either, but luckily there's an option to turn them off in the preferences (it's under the registration section). Not sure if there's an IFilter for it though.

Thank Post
    That's interesting to hear. I have to say stopped testing for it after 9.2 since I now redirect AppData to a mapped drive, but I hadn't previously heard anything abut this changing in 9.3.
    I've just noticed that you are using this method too! It works a treat!

I have mapped a drive to our Appdata share through GPP then redirected the appdata to the mapped drive.

My question is though, will this method create new appdata folders for users when they logon? Or does it require us drop a bunch of folders in by batch?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    I have to say I was almost sold on PDFX-Change until I saw all the ugly greyed-out Pro-only menu items, and found that it didn't install an IFilter, so no previewing in Outlook. Oh well.
    The PRO menu items can be hidden in the free version with a simple registry setting, which we deployed through GPP.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Registration\
    create a REG_DWORD called HideProFeatures and set it to 1

Just this week i finally got soooo fed up with Adobe and installed PDF-XChange on all workstations, The MSI was a breeze to deploy.
    I did tweak the MSI a little (remove desktop icon etc...) and set a few Group policy preferences, and an hour later all of our workstations had Adobe removed and PDF-Xchange instead. I dont consider the lack of outlook Preview a great loss.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdmast View Post
    The PRO menu items can be hidden in the free version with a simple registry setting, which we deployed through GPP.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Registration\
    create a REG_DWORD called HideProFeatures and set it to 1

Just this week i finally got soooo fed up with Adobe and installed PDF-XChange on all workstations, The MSI was a breeze to deploy.
    I did tweak the MSI a little (remove desktop icon etc...) and set a few Group policy preferences, and an hour later all of our workstations had Adobe removed and PDF-Xchange instead. I dont consider the lack of outlook Preview a great loss.
    ive switched (or am switching) from acrobat reader to foxit smaller and quicker v3 msis's easily 4 not looked at really as 3 does all i want

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast