+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, IE7 Script Error in Technical; Hi everyone, We have recently purchased a piece of software called from Testwise 3 - the application is web-based. We ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy IE7 Script Error

Hi everyone,

We have recently purchased a piece of software called from Testwise 3 - the application is web-based. We are having problems with script errors in IE7, this is the message:

Code:
    Line: 2
    Char: 1
    Error: Invalid character
    Code: 0
    URL: http://www.testingforschools.com/do/login/**********
    We are on an RM CC3 network. I have installed the latest java & flash versions along with all of the windows updates for IE7. Also I have tried this article from Microsoft - Error message when you try to open an ActiveX control-based MIME handler in Windows Internet Explorer 7: "Invalid character"

I have run out of ideas now anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Hi There.

Have you tried a different browser on this, such as firefox let me know either way.

regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    what about updating shockwave ?

Also do a full restore / reset on ie 7 to defaults ( tools -> internet options -> advanced tab )

Thank Post
    I have tried a reset & updating shockwave, installed IE8 - same problem. Yes, it works fine with firefox so it's an IE issue

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    I have tried a reset & updating shockwave, installed IE8 - same problem. Yes, it works fine with firefox so it's an IE issue
    relevant permissions on the directory for flash or shockwave as per the technical faq on the below site

Help

3. Please change user access from read only to full control for
    c:\windows\system32\macromed
    on all testing PC’s. If this is not done one of the issues caused could be the incorrect displaying of tests or the testwise website. The Internet Browser needs to be able to have access to this folder.
    Also do the browse compatibility test here

Help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    relevant permissions on the directory for flash or shockwave as per the technical faq on the below site

Help

Also do the browse compatibility test here

Help
    The correct permissions are set and the browser passes the compatibility test. I think the error is Java related as IE8 mentions .js files in the error.

Edit: Here is the more detailed error report from IE8:

Code:
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Timestamp: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:08:07 UTC

Line: 1
    URI: http://www.testingforschools.com/js/net.js
    Last edited by BassTech; 5th February 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Thank Post
    The correct permissions are set and the browser passes the compatibility test. I think the error is Java related as IE8 mentions .js files in the error.

Edit: Here is the more detailed error report from IE8:

Code:
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Timestamp: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:08:07 UTC

Line: 1
    URI: http://www.testingforschools.com/js/net.js
    If you scroll to the right side it also refers to .Net so I would be tempted to uninstall all versions of java from add / remove, reboot and install latest version of java and from there also do the same for .Net then reboot and try again.

Also with ref to the tech docs Im assuming there isn't any settings via gpo to block scripts and you have allowed the wild card for there website through the proxy

Thank Post
    If you scroll to the right side it also refers to .Net so I would be tempted to uninstall all versions of java from add / remove, reboot and install latest version of java and from there also do the same for .Net then reboot and try again.

Also with ref to the tech docs Im assuming there isn't any settings via gpo to block scripts and you have allowed the wild card for there website through the proxy
    Just tried this, same problem and yes I have allowed "*.testingforschoos.com" through our proxy

Thank Post
    Have you tried adding it your trusted sites list?

Thank Post
    Just tried this, same problem and yes I have allowed "*.testingforschoos.com" through our proxy
    Is it just the one js file that is causing the problem or are there other ones that do the same from the same site ?

http://www.testingforschools.com/js/net.js

Thank Post
    Is it just the one js file that is causing the problem or are there other ones that do the same from the same site ?

http://www.testingforschools.com/js/net.js
    There's one called customer.js which is causing problems too. And yes, it is added to our trusted sites list.

Thank Post
    There's one called customer.js which is causing problems too. And yes, it is added to our trusted sites list.
    Is it only doing it when a student is logged in or when you are logged in as either local or domain admin for ie 7or 8 ?

Maybe check the advanced settings on ie 7 or 8 in relation to java and also scripts ie java script ( the js files ) as well as the security settings for js ( java script )

Thank Post
    Is it only doing it when a student is logged in or when you are logged in as either local or domain admin for ie 7or 8 ?

Maybe check the advanced settings on ie 7 or 8 in relation to java and also scripts ie java script ( the js files ) as well as the security settings for js ( java script )
    To begin with it wouldn't work on either. Since I upgraded to IE8 it now works on domain admin but still doens't work with staff/student profiles. I have been through all the options in IE7/8 related to java but it didn't make any difference

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest it sounds like the proxy blocking it and messing with it somehow - can you access the file by opening the URL of the JS file directly? It's complaining about the very first character of the file which should just be a comment, should be fine. The only way it would be an invalid character is if the proxy is injecting something else in there, or returning its usual error page in its place.

We had an issue once with an old proxy system where the word "radio" was banned, to stop streaming music, except it then messed up a Maths site that used HTML radio buttons; it was just injecting a message about "this word removed" or similar in place of "radio" and breaking everything.

All the stuff about user agent doesn't really help, it's just describing the rendering engine of the browser.

Other than that... don't know. Do they not have a support line you can hassle?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    To be honest it sounds like the proxy blocking it and messing with it somehow - can you access the file by opening the URL of the JS file directly? It's complaining about the very first character of the file which should just be a comment, should be fine. The only way it would be an invalid character is if the proxy is injecting something else in there, or returning its usual error page in its place.

We had an issue once with an old proxy system where the word "radio" was banned, to stop streaming music, except it then messed up a Maths site that used HTML radio buttons; it was just injecting a message about "this word removed" or similar in place of "radio" and breaking everything.

All the stuff about user agent doesn't really help, it's just describing the rendering engine of the browser.

Other than that... don't know. Do they not have a support line you can hassle?
    If it was a proxy issue, surely the domain administrator would get the same error as everyone else? Any yes, the have passed it onto 3rd line support but not heard anything yet...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast