+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Switching to Microsoft Security Essentials in Technical; Well if you want something similar, you could always look at Forefront , which is the corporate MS antivirus that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Well if you want something similar, you could always look at Forefront, which is the corporate MS antivirus that MSE is based on...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Well if you want something similar, you could always look at Forefront, which is the corporate MS antivirus that MSE is based on...
    I got a VL license quote for Forefront. Outside of the School's agreement I got quoted nigh on 30 per client per month! Thats 12000 per month for 400 PC's or 144,000 per year!

So far the best deal I've found is AVG at around 12k every 2 years for the same number of machines. Did think about Avast but the quote was $$$'s even with an education discount.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 1st February 2010 at 07:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Outside of the School's agreement I got quoted nigh on 30 per client per month! Thats 12000 per month for 400 PC's or 144,000 per year!
    Shurely shome mistook

Si

Thank Post

MSSE Licensing hasn't changed

Sorry all, but have been offline today, so tardy in my response!

The Security Essentials licence doesn't cover school use, unless it is on a student-owned or staff-owned laptop that just happens to be used in school at some of the time. And "no", it hasn't changed recently, as it has always been like that since launch.

Although I don't have Forefront figures to hand, the pricing quoted is either completely wrong, or we've lost some marbles! As we don't set pricing directly ourselves - it's our partners that set the prices you buy at - the best bet would be to get a quote from an authorised EdLAR or AER.

Ray

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfleming View Post
    Although I don't have Forefront figures to hand, the pricing quoted is either completely wrong, or we've lost some marbles! As we don't set pricing directly ourselves - it's our partners that set the prices you buy at - the best bet would be to get a quote from an authorised EdLAR or AER.
    Anyone wanting any Microsoft (or any other companies) product should obviously get an official quote from their own authorised EdLAR or AER. A lot will depend on the licensing system you are on and the level of licensing (open, select, schools, etc) so other peoples pricing will vary.

As for me. Yes I got that quote from an authorised EdLAR - no I'm not going to embarrass them here!

In one column it says "Forefront Client - Per Month - Academic - Volume License" and in the next it says "30.17"!

Now thinking about it logically the 30.17 is almost certainly an annulalised figure and the license is probably around 2.51 per month. But since their competitors come in at around 8-12 per year, and I'm not due to upgrade AV till next year, I decided to leave it there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We were going to use MSE in our schools because, for some of the older kit, symantec antivirus is slowing them down.. so much so that they are becoming un useable. If it's the case that we can't use MSE in schools does anyone know of a free antvirus that we can use in school that's good?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Now thinking about it logically the 30.17 is almost certainly an annulalised figure and the license is probably around 2.51 per month.
    Event that sounds far higher than the prices I was talking about with resellers last year. Never got a formal quote, but I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper than that.

Thank Post

home use and teachers laptops -MSE

i guess the problem with the fact that MSE has been restricted, from updating behind a proxy, leaves me, and other admin with a problem if it is installed on a laptop-
    If someone who uses MSE outside school, on their 'home network' brings that laptop/computer into school, and wants to transfer files to the school network, i cannot ask them to update their virus definitions from within school and scan the files about to be copied, now can I?
    it is time that this product, or something similar to it was available under the microsoft select licensing scheme etc, for schools

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    it is time that this product, or something similar to it was available under the microsoft select licensing scheme etc, for schools
    Erm, would that be Forefront?

Event that sounds far higher than the prices I was talking about with resellers last year. Never got a formal quote, but I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper than that.
    I suspect you're right. However since my AV licence is due for another year and I'd already tied the supplier in knots with various (endless) quotes on all the different MS options (for office and windows), I thought it best to leave it there and not argue any further.

Still, it is the official quote I got for Forefront licensing - 30.17 per client per month
    Last edited by tmcd35; 2nd February 2010 at 08:33 AM.

Thank Post

Microsoft Security Essentials Pricing

Although I'm trying to answer earlier queries in this thread, I'm aware it may well cross the boundaries into becoming a commercial, so I'll write carefully! If there are specific follow up questions, which aren't of interest to the whole EduGeek community, I'm happy to respond by PM if there's a follow up

Just had the chance to chat to the Great Mark A'Bear on Forefront pricing, and he checked the price list, which contains the mythical "ERP" figures (Estimated Retail Price), which is normally the top-end price. He's explained enough that now I know why the misleading price of 30 a month may have appeared!

All the following prices are ERP's on the Select Price list:

"Forefront protection client" has an ERP of 17 pence per month
    "Forefront protection suite" has an ERP of 72 pence per month

And there is something called "Forefront Client Management Console" (which also includes SQL Server), which has an ERP of 33 a month. But this is the central control system (think top deck of the USS Enterprise) and you would only run that on one machine in your IT-nerve-centre! I think that's what was quoted for every single client.

So I think we're to blame here for the confusion, by having too many products on our price list, and too many product names which confuse (eg start the name with "Forefront Client", and people think it's a client!). But hopefully there's enough info above to help clear things up a bit

11. 4 Thanks to rayfleming:

SimpleSi (2nd February 2010), Soulfish (2nd February 2010), tmcd35 (2nd February 2010), zag (2nd February 2010)

Thank Post
    If only more suppliers/manufactures would send their people onto here - its got to be one of the best value for money methods of getting the right info to the right people

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfleming View Post
    Just had the chance to chat to the Great Mark A'Bear on Forefront pricing, and he checked the price list, which contains the mythical "ERP" figures (Estimated Retail Price), which is normally the top-end price. He's explained enough that now I know why the misleading price of 30 a month may have appeared!

All the following prices are ERP's on the Select Price list:

"Forefront protection client" has an ERP of 17 pence per month
    "Forefront protection suite" has an ERP of 72 pence per month

And there is something called "Forefront Client Management Console" (which also includes SQL Server), which has an ERP of 33 a month. But this is the central control system (think top deck of the USS Enterprise) and you would only run that on one machine in your IT-nerve-centre! I think that's what was quoted for every single client.
    I've just re-checked the quote and it does indeed say "Forefront Client Security Management Console" . I'm gonna run your figures through my spreadsheet. Something tells me they are about to become more favourable!

May just well be an arguement worth having with the supplier when the time is right

Thank Post
    i guess the problem with the fact that MSE has been restricted, from updating behind a proxy, leaves me, and other admin with a problem if it is installed on a laptop-
    mm - I thought is was updating in my school - maybe it just does the intial updateafter install OK and then fails after that?

The reason I wanted to use it was is that i actually can't comprehend/trust what our county people have done with updating sophos (our sophos servers are cetrally county held and configured).

And that it seems incapable of killing the worm on one of my nets!

I believe they are configured to go "ooh - theres a virus" and do nothing about it but I actually don't know what they do - no info from above and I can't comprehend sophos config (But I go through each one putting all settinsg to what I consider is destroy!)

Whereas I can comprehend MSEs actions and they look OK as default

Never mind - back to drawing board

regards

Simon

Thank Post

errm no

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Erm, would that be Forefront?

errm i dont think thats a free program/download, i was hinting, that a version of MSE that would work through proxies should be available for people to download who hold an education licence for operating systems.

the other forefront prices look good though, not sure what i'd do for servers though?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I believe they are configured to go "ooh - theres a virus" and do nothing about it but I actually don't know what they do - no info from above and I can't comprehend sophos config (But I go through each one putting all settinsg to what I consider is destroy!)
    This is exactly why we got rid of Sophos here - every virus it found, even when set up to destroy with as much viciousness as possible, it just displayed a message and let the virus do its stuff.

Since then, now that I use CA eTrust, the messages appear saying its found and killed a virus. Not had a single infection since.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast