+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WSUS for Servers in Technical; At the moment I'm just using WSUS for clients as I didn't want any chance of servers auto rebooting (I ...
    Thank Post

WSUS for Servers

At the moment I'm just using WSUS for clients as I didn't want any chance of servers auto rebooting (I know the policy suppresses most but it seems some updates might over-rule that setting?)

Anyways I was thinking of going to WSUS for servers as well but just wondering what way you have yours set up? As it stands I made a Computer Group for workstations and use GPO targeting to get them in there When I approve updates I usually approve them for that group only (rather than All Computers), maybe I should've gone for All Computers with hindsight actually

I like to have the separate Groups for ease of management as the WSUS console is crowded at the best of times

So if I add another group for Servers, what's the best way to re-approve the updates that need to go on there? Would it be view all updates then Approve to everything or is there another method?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to remember is to break up your servers auto reboot policies (if you decide to use them) into one per dc. I wish wsus could stagger reboots on servers but the only way I can see how to do it is to make a fresh GP/setup each server to reboot at different times.
    I use wsus for some servers here internally but not all.

Thank Post
    Put servers in a separate group and set policy not to auto-reboot. Don't auto approve though - test ALL updates before approving...we didn't test the IE8 upgrade properly and ended up with entire suites of unuseable computers. Gaaah!
    Last edited by timzim; 28th January 2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: I am an idiot and can't read posts properly

Thank Post
    For our teaching ones I just push out critical updates via SMS and don't rock the boat until half \ summer breaks... especially important on our machines as one program button out of place would mean bad things for training courses!

As for reboots... anyone remember "no more reboots for software" when XP was released... looks like the future never quite made it!
    Last edited by gshaw; 28th January 2010 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Servers auto-download patches I approve, but I install manually. Server patches don't get deadlines set either. (Deadline forces the install regardless if it's after the deadline).

Snapshot a couple of test vms, install patches and let it percolate for a bit. Check on the mailing lists and forums to ensure the patch doesn't do anything adverse. Provided all is well it gets pushed out to other servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its all done manually. We then have total control then.

Thank Post
    Mine are set to download only. R2 still happily schedules an install time and reboots for some updates however

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread