+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Nightmare in a network in Technical; Originally Posted by MGSTech I don't suppose the workstations were cloned (ghosted) without sysprep being run? Duplicate SID's? Try running ...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSTech View Post
    I don't suppose the workstations were cloned (ghosted) without sysprep being run?

Duplicate SID's?

Try running Sysprep and select reseal then rename the workstation (delete the COMPUTER account in AD BEFORE renaming PC...
    or just run the handy MS Sysinternal tool called NewSID

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    or just run the handy MS Sysinternal tool called NewSID
    Does nobody read an entire thread now?
    This has already been brought up a few times.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Well spotted, give ya self a pat on the back

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Does nobody read an entire thread now?
    This has already been brought up a few times.
    Nope, just lately it seems acceptable to judge a thread on the three latest posts, or if you were involved in the thread earlier on but missed a load of posts, the last one is authoritative.

Thank Post
    ok, sorry I got tracked on (as we all do!) onto other problems.... never a quiet day!

The server reboot did the trick, and replication kicked back in.

I can now add things to the domain again, so that part is solved. Part of the printers issue is also solved by this.

I missed something blatant in the networked printer... It's a networked printer on a domain, being accessed by laptops that are not on the domain (They will be soon, new network etc....)

For those who haven't had their coffee yet, to access anything on a domain server, you need credentials on that domain to access it. I will need to setup a startup batchfile that maps a drive with domain credentials, which will give it the credentials to access the printer!

Apparently it used to work before, but somehow I doubt it, as I don't see how you can ignore domain authentication.

The only remaining problem now, is sporadic domain workstations being unable to connect to the domain. I strongly suspect this is something to do with either the DNS being screwy, which I'm ignoring as will getting a brand new managed network with all the trimmings in 3 weeks time, so to put effort into fixing that now would be a waste of my time.

OR, it's something to do with the SID's. I cannot see the images they used to build the workstations with at the moment, as they were stored on the NAS, which is dead......
    BUT having met one of my predecessors, and read the CV of the other one (silly silly man.... network manager with 5 years experience, and forgot to clean out his personal files from his workstation.....) I strongly suspect they didn't use Sysprep.

How could the SID's cause this trouble? I'm still stuck with Winsuite, and due to the age of winsuite, it's a fair bet to say it uses SID's to identify the stations. Cannot be 100% sure, but it's a fair guess.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfisher View Post
    How could the SID's cause this trouble? I'm still stuck with Winsuite, and due to the age of winsuite, it's a fair bet to say it uses SID's to identify the stations. Cannot be 100% sure, but it's a fair guess.
    As Sparkeh has pointed out, SID's mean nothing, the won't be identified by Winsuite, and shouldn't cause any problems on the domain.

Just run NewSID just to be sure, Edugeek admin bar by "mattx" has NewSID bundled, just find his signature on the forums, shouldn't be hard, he's everywhere.

Thank Post
    Are you going to be using the same clients on this new network? If so you may be able to set up and configure RIS on the 2nd DC and create an image of one of the clients (if they are mostly the same type). You can then deploy your new image, just the way you want it but also utilise the image after the infrastructure is rebuilt since the image will still be current.

This would also alleviate potential viruses (you mentioned AV being out of date) on the clients and bring your clients machines bang up to date with updates, but should also remove the duplicate SIDs. Pre-Stage the machines and the naming will also be sorted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfisher View Post
    ok, sorry I got tracked on (as we all do!) onto other problems.... never a quiet day!

The server reboot did the trick, and replication kicked back in.

I can now add things to the domain again, so that part is solved. Part of the printers issue is also solved by this.

I missed something blatant in the networked printer... It's a networked printer on a domain, being accessed by laptops that are not on the domain (They will be soon, new network etc....)

For those who haven't had their coffee yet, to access anything on a domain server, you need credentials on that domain to access it. I will need to setup a startup batchfile that maps a drive with domain credentials, which will give it the credentials to access the printer!

Apparently it used to work before, but somehow I doubt it, as I don't see how you can ignore domain authentication.

The only remaining problem now, is sporadic domain workstations being unable to connect to the domain. I strongly suspect this is something to do with either the DNS being screwy, which I'm ignoring as will getting a brand new managed network with all the trimmings in 3 weeks time, so to put effort into fixing that now would be a waste of my time.

OR, it's something to do with the SID's. I cannot see the images they used to build the workstations with at the moment, as they were stored on the NAS, which is dead......
    BUT having met one of my predecessors, and read the CV of the other one (silly silly man.... network manager with 5 years experience, and forgot to clean out his personal files from his workstation.....) I strongly suspect they didn't use Sysprep.

Now you appear to have your DC's reconnected I'd take the time to try to push one of them out the domain for a rebuild. (make sure to do a system state backup first).

If the reboot had failed you could have tried a Non Authoritative Restore. This is done by changing the Burflags key in the registry. (plenty of internet articles about it)

Also might be worth checking that you have sites and services setup correctly. Are your 2 DC's listed under the same site? If not what sort of replication time do they have?

Thank Post
    Actually quite easy to add Domain Printers to Workgroup laptops

Boot up Laptop

Printers > add local Port > Insert Printer IP > Point to drivers .. Jobs a gooden

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    As Sparkeh has pointed out, SID's mean nothing, the won't be identified by Winsuite, and shouldn't cause any problems on the domain.

Just run NewSID just to be sure, Edugeek admin bar by "mattx" has NewSID bundled, just find his signature on the forums, shouldn't be hard, he's everywhere.
    What are you saying ? I get about a bit.....?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What are you saying ? I get about a bit.....?
    You're reminding me of David Cameron everyday, everywhere I turn you're/he's there (somewhere)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    You're reminding me of David Cameron everyday, everywhere I turn you're/he's there (somewhere)
    But he's an Eton Boy !! I'm your common type.....

Thank Post
    another little update.... I'll need to leave it a couple days, but it looks like it was all down to a borked AD replication. Since rebooting both servers, the domain workstations have started behaving themselves.

All is well again!

Just need to get my NAS up and running again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    Actually quite easy to add Domain Printers to Workgroup laptops

Boot up Laptop

Printers > add local Port > Insert Printer IP > Point to drivers .. Jobs a gooden
    Well, for some values of "good" ...

At minimum, I'd want you to use the DNS name for the printer - that makes it possible to change the IP at some time in the future without having to revisit every laptop.

It also means you lose any kind of queue control on the printer - if 2 people try to print at the same time then one will lose and there's no nice tidy way of queuing jobs for later.

You've also got no way of charging users - the job is going straight to the printer and bypassing any quota software etc.

If none of those things is an issue then it's a good way to work :-)

Thank Post
    custom drivers. It's a large networked photocopier with some funky drivers, so would involve going round and installing them all again on every individual laptop. and I'm not sure it's one of those printers you want to install on 40 odd different machines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast