+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Here is a puzzler for all you google gurus in Technical; What about a wiki at least you'd have revision history for the page edits then. Ben...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Here is a puzzler for all you google gurus

What about a wiki at least you'd have revision history for the page edits then.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    how many users are you planning on doing this for because if its only say 10 teachers or so then you could just give them one folder each that way they only have permission to copy the original and then put it back into there own folder on the same shared drive and give each person rights only to there own folder and that way they each have there own copy and ammended version of the original.
    Its only about 10 people, but not teachers. Its the admin staff. To give you some idea of the weight of content in our Admin fileserver, we have around 23,000 documents in over 100 folders (ballpark figure, definately over 100 though), not including the past pupil reports and information as that is merely scanned stuff onto a document server, I mean 23k of created publisher/word/powerpoint/excel documents. Everything from simple letters/memos to governors, right through to extensive powerpoint publisher articles for the church diocese. Pretty much all the documents are worked on by multiple members of the admin staff, and they each need to have full access to any documents including the amendments made by other admin staff members. Which is why when amendments are made, the altered file must be accessible by the rest of admin, so that they can work on the file with the changes included, adding and altering themselves, and then having *their* changes then accessible by the rest of admin.

As you can see, just making an amendment and keeping the amended file in an area only accessible by them is no good. The amended file will be worked on by several other people, all of whom will then make amendments themselves, before it being worked on by someone else.

Frankly our admin server is a complete mess in terms of file structure, but the admin folks carry quite some "political" weight and are firmly stuck in the "this is the way we do it so shutup" category

Thank Post

Windows auditing will track all this for you, but you need to enable it on PCs/drives.

Thank Post

Sounds good, so if I was to enable it on the Server shared area drives, it will generate a log of who moves/renames/deletes/copies all the files on the shared area drive, with the time and date?

EDIT : Can it keep track of who moves and renames files/folders? and when? A quick browse of the Ms support info on it only states it can "events that relate to creating, opening, or deleting files". Would that include people renaming files and moving them to other folders? (which are our 2 biggest issues)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Windows auditing will track all this for you, but you need to enable it on PCs/drives.
    You need to enable it in Group Policy as well.

Thank Post

When a file gets 'moved', what really happens is this...

1 - A new file is created in the target location
    2 - Data from the source file is copied to the target file
    3 - Source file is deleted

You should be able to see these events in the audit logs

A folder move would look more complex, depending on what was in it, but it should still be possible to track down the events.

It may be that renaming a file would show as writes to the file attributes or extended attributes.

The thing to do would be to set up a test environment and enable auditing. Do some file operations and see what gets logged. Trim out the auditing events you don't need to see.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Good thread Jake. I want exactly the same thing too. Thinking Sharepoint is the answer to our dreams, but need to know lots more about it.

Thank Post

We have a kind of system like yours - basically all the Senior Leaders (about 8 staff) have all the school documents [SEF, minutes, memos]mapped to a drive that has permissions for full access on it for all 8 senior leaders.

There is a sutiable file structure in place and it follows the convention:
    1. The name of category - E.g. School Evaluation Form / Staff Handbook/etc.
    2. Within this their are subdirectories of academic years e.g 06-07

We have found having "Previous Versions" Volume Shadowing Service enabled on the share which has proved to be a great benefit. Staff themselves can go back to previous copies that they may worked on yesterday or the day before.

This system has worked generally well - we haven't yet had folders/files being renamed on this drive - its the one that's accessible to all curriculum teachers that things go missing and get renamed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have a very splatted structure to the stuff the admin staff use ... and we take the view that if someone deletes the work of someone else then they can argue between themselves.

They keep it fairly well structured ... but it is just so spread out and I know there is a lot of duplication. I can't wait to get them into document management ... the Office Manager (also the Head's PA) has already thrown a fit at my suggestion of working towards ISO 9001:2000 ...

I am *really* going to enjoy this one ... just gotta sort out the new server for it.

Thank Post

We played with Sharepoint but the learning curve is quite steep and I had a feeling that it would provide new interesting ways for staff to hurt/confuse themselves.
    If you go the Windows file auditing route you could use something like logparser (http://www.logparser.com/) to drop the appropriate logs onto a mySQL server, so that at a later date you could quickly construct queries to locate your culprits. I started doing something similar a while ago to keep track of user logon events but it never really got past the 'this will be nice if it works' stage.

Thank Post

I've just done the same for our "Shared Area" for exactly the same reasons. I've turned Windows Auditing on - but found it a real drag looking at the stuff it produced - I found this after extensive Googling

http://www.greyware.com/software/systemchangelog/

And recommend it to you - it makes delving through the logs a breeze, and I wrote a little script to archive the log and csv it produced with the date each day, so it doesn't get over big.

Have to say though - just telling the staff that I was now auditing who did what was enough to eliminate 99% of the problems

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Looks interesting SM - is that just $29 for a copy on the server then?

Thank Post

Ooh..that looks very interesting spuffmonkey, will take a more indepth look at that in a mo.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Looks interesting SM - is that just $29 for a copy on the server then?
    Guess it would be - but it just works at the moment - I'll pay for it soon, honest... ops:

Thank Post

Just finished giving that a go Spuffmonkey, its perfect does exactly what we wanted. You earn 20 Jakeudos points

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast