+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Uninstalling/Removing AVG 8.5 over the network in Technical; Hi. I'm needing to uninstall AVG 8.5 from 500+ PC's on my network. I obviously would like to do it ...

Thank Post

Uninstalling/Removing AVG 8.5 over the network

Hi.

I'm needing to uninstall AVG 8.5 from 500+ PC's on my network.
    I obviously would like to do it silently with no user interaction needed. Has anyone managed this?

I've tried "setup.exe /uninstall" and avgremover.exe (from Avg's website) but both still need somone to click ok.

"setup.exe /uninstall /hide" doesn't prompt you but also dosen't uninstall it either.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    You need to download avgremover.exe. I wrote an AutoIT script and wrapped it in a msi and deployed it.

Code:
    If FileExists("C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\setup.exe") Or FileExists("C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\setup.exe") Then

Run("avgremover.exe")

If WinWait("Warning", "This application", 30) Then

ControlClick("Warning", "This application", 6)

EndIf

EndIf
    Then when I was installing AVG 9, I used a WMI filter to check that my "Uninstall AVG85" Windows Installer package was present.

I wrote a pretty thorough AutoIT script for installing AVG 9, but didn't test it beyond what I needed myself. Comments appreciated.

I won't be purchasing AVG again.

Thank Post
    Are you using AVG Admin Console or are they unmanaged installs?

We use AVG 9 at the moment, created a scripted install from the AVG Admin console and then set it up to install by SCCM.

I am pretty sure you can create a script to uninstall too its just a switch. You can then deploy it by login script or group policy or whatever.

The Admin Console will also allow you to upgrade all clients connected to Version 9 from 8.5.

Hope this helps

Darren

Thank Post
    Ah, I stumbled across AutoIT last night, looks like that might have to be the route I try.

I had the AVG admin console but that was the first thing that went when setting up the new admin console. I've gone to CA Threat Manager, who do have a competitor removal tool I can distribute with Threat manager's msi but it doesn't work on anything above avg 7.5. (Although their tech guys are having a look at 8.5 to see if they can do anything for me now).

Cheers for the help!

Thank Post
    Thank you very much BBrian
    i had the same problem as Matt4 with uninstalling AVG from a lot of computers and your script solved this AVG remover issues i was having with it.
    Thank you once again.

Thank Post
    For six years I have used in my company computer network product offered by Symnatec, AntiVirus Corporate version 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0 and finally 11.0 Enpoint Protection.
    Since late last year more than 200 stations in the network were infected with Brontok virus whose signature was not recognized at all Symantec product although it was a version dated 2005, creating big problems on infected computers, we decided not to prolong acquisition Symantec product which for us was a big disappointment and purchase another more efficient AntiVirus suite.
    So we decided to install the freeware version of AVG 8.xx product on all affected stations until the new AntiVirus suite was to be acquired
    All well and good until we purchase the new product which could not uninstall AVG product on network stations.
    About a week searching the Internet and on various forums to a solution, I created an own method for automatic silent removal by all stations AVG product that requires no user interaction.
    Since AVG does not offer support for freeware versions, we found the tool AVG8_Kleaner produced by Kaspersky Lab as automatic removal of the product succeeded only problem is that network users don't have permissions to install and uninstall software on workstations.
    Because Microsoft created runas command but without the possibility writing password on the command line, I found a product file called Runasspc free developed by Robotronic that allow to specify the password, even it's encryption.
    Next I present the steps to be followed:
    http://vancavlad.blogspot.com/2010/0...g-avg-8xx.html

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread