+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, XP File and print sharing in Technical; Hi everyone, We have jsut bought a security managing software and for this to run a complete scan we need ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

XP File and print sharing

Hi everyone,

We have jsut bought a security managing software and for this to run a complete scan we need to have certain ports open.

we need to allow file and print sharing through the firewall on the network, but when i try to edit it on the machine itself it is greyed out, which makes me think its a group policy setting.

I can still view the settings, and have found out that it is open for a specific ip address, but again i can not change this.

I have tried setting it via group policy in server 2008, and have run a gpupdate /force on the machine to apply this, however it is still greyed out and still only on this certain ip address.

i can not see in group policy anything else that is setting this, and it is not being set on our vista machines.

any ideas welcome.

cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spider6986 View Post
    Hi everyone,

We have jsut bought a security managing software and for this to run a complete scan we need to have certain ports open.

we need to allow file and print sharing through the firewall on the network, but when i try to edit it on the machine itself it is greyed out, which makes me think its a group policy setting.

I can still view the settings, and have found out that it is open for a specific ip address, but again i can not change this.

I have tried setting it via group policy in server 2008, and have run a gpupdate /force on the machine to apply this, however it is still greyed out and still only on this certain ip address.

i can not see in group policy anything else that is setting this, and it is not being set on our vista machines.

any ideas welcome.

cheers
    if there is a group policy higher up, it will listen to that policy first, ie stop you from changing it, then when the second group policy applies saying you can change it, it will just ignore it and not let you change it, try putting the you can edit it at the root of the domain gpos and see if that works

t

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    if there is a group policy higher up, it will listen to that policy first
    Might be worth running RSOP.msc on the machine (will need to be admin- but not a problem as it is affecting your admin account) to see what GPO (Group Policy Object) is controlling this aspect of the machine. This can then be amended or, if only specific machines need the new settings for some reason, you can have a policy "lower down" that overrides the behaviour of this one.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    if there is a group policy higher up, it will listen to that policy first, ie stop you from changing it, then when the second group policy applies saying you can change it, it will just ignore it and not let you change it, try putting the you can edit it at the root of the domain gpos and see if that works

t
    sorry forgot to say that this is being done on the default domain policy already.

pwds - cheers, il have a look at that tomorrow morning as soon as i get in :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread