+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Home folder shows as "Documents" instead of folder name in Technical; Originally Posted by kennysarmy Well I've used File Server Resource Manager on the pupils server to stop it. That's not ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    Well I've used File Server Resource Manager on the pupils server to stop it.
    That's not on the staff server so will either have to install it or run a batch script to delete if it becomes a problem.

I agree with Plexer : if MS have a GPO setting you would think that would handle it correctly and create the "documents" folder under the users local drive automatically.....most users expect to save their work in the root of their H:\ drive though and not have to dig a level down....
    Quote Originally Posted by wardsidjame View Post
    Found a couple of simple ways to resolve this.

One, create a new folder within the root and call it shortcuts, then highlight all folders in the folder where the home drive folders are kept and select all, then right click and send to desktop (you need to do this from the share as the teachers would see it, not C$ etc), then copy the newly created shortcuts into the inital folder (we called it student home drives) and hid all the other folders, now when staff go in they see the shortcuts to the student home drives and not the home drives, these do not contain the desktop.ini file and dont change.

The way we resolved it after this ongoing was to use file resource manager to block desktop.ini files from being saved, then did a simple search per year and removed the files, they arent especially needed as they only save the configuration for viewing folders etc, we have specified a default layout by editing the hive file for the student default userprofiles and this works fine.

This has worked fine ever since.
    @wardsidjame & @kennysarmy
    Doing this for me made the logins go really slow. Take a look here - Slow logons - Applying Folder Redirection

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    humm we are having the same problems but also we are having an issue where pupils try and go to their N:\ Drive and then get a access denied even though they have access to the folder i have to set the owner of the my documents (the one win7 creates) to the administrators group in order to view the ntfs permissions and we use the folder redirect as well I wish ms never changed the way they stored users settings why change it i think it was perfect the way it was

Thank Post
    We've created a batch file for the deletion of the dreaded Desktop.ini files lol
    Just double click it when we see one and it turfs the whole lot in one fail swoop.

F: (or drive your userdrives are on)
    del desktop.ini /F /S /Q /A H

100% works a treat on Server 2008 R2. I just have a wee BAT file on the servers desktop and it happily runs.

You could then set up a sheduled task every morning or so to run it.

Paul
    Last edited by paulst30; 24th January 2012 at 11:25 AM.

4. Thanks to paulst30 from:

jamiet147 (18th June 2012)

Thank Post
    I have the same problem. I just turn off the redirects because i don't need them. But I can say this that the window 6.x versions sucks. Windows XP was way better. Now we have to start again fix a whole lot of new things all over again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well of course its with anything new it just means change. I am glad XP is on its way out i find Windows 7 better to manage on a network.

Thank Post
    We put Windows 7 in about 2 years ago over the summer holidays, but i wouldnt like to go back to that first day of term ever again. It's taken us till now to get it tweaked just right.

imo its managed better via GP and with 2008 servers its better, but visually its not worth the hassle. Folder permissions are a nightmare too, i mean trying to do anything simple on a C drive is nuts, but the protection is there to save time in the long run with rogue pupils altering the contents of a windows folder lol

Thank Post
    With reference to the renaming of the home folders.

I didn't bother with any of the desktop.ini scripting stuff. I found it much easier to just add "FileName" from "View", "Choose Details" to the top level folder and then "Apply to Folders" from "Tools", "Folder Options" and "View". Less than a minute to do and, for me anyway, 100% effective.

9. Thanks to Duds from:

dave.81 (4th April 2012)

pdr

Thank Post
    thanks for info ref File Resource Manager, have been struggling with "My Documents" problem for some while, and although I was aware of removing desktop.ini, was not aware of FRM to prevent creation of same

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pdr View Post
    thanks for info ref File Resource Manager, have been struggling with "My Documents" problem for some while, and although I was aware of removing desktop.ini, was not aware of FRM to prevent creation of same
    If your blocking it i would take a look at this thread - Slow logons - Applying Folder Redirection

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulst30 View Post
    We've created a batch file for the deletion of the dreaded Desktop.ini files lol
    Just double click it when we see one and it turfs the whole lot in one fail swoop.

F: (or drive your userdrives are on)
    del desktop.ini /F /S /Q /A H

100% works a treat on Server 2008 R2. I just have a wee BAT file on the servers desktop and it happily runs.

You could then set up a sheduled task every morning or so to run it.

Paul
    This seems one of the simplest solution but not too sure if suitable for 10k+ users...; since the cmd deletes all the desktop.ini files from the user folder have you had any issues?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kctesting View Post
    This seems one of the simplest solution but not too sure if suitable for 10k+ users...; since the cmd deletes all the desktop.ini files from the user folder have you had any issues?
    Not had any issues at all with it. It deletes that file and nothing else gets touched. Been using it now for 2 years. We have about 3000 users right enough.

Paul

Thank Post
    Sorry to continue to beat the horse on this one but I have a couple of questions.

Why do we need to see the users name instead of having a generic "My Documents" for the users folders anyhow? If i need to get to a students or staff folder I just open windows explorer and type \\servername\share\y##\username and it opens the users folder. The only problem I see is that we have teachers who often need access to a students folder and trying to teach a teacher how to type that simple line is too hard (words from my IT director / who is also a teacher - not me). I was thinking a simple little script or exe on the teachers desktops which they can open, it asks for the students username and then opens the user folder in explorer for them. I just need someone to write that for me ?????? (or maybe spend some time myself learning - how hard could it be??)

Next one - is sort of relevant so I will start a new thread also... Regarding how everyone is managing student folders, do you break them into year groups or should I put them all in one spot under students (just like we already do for staff)? It would save migrating students at the end of the year to the new year group - and I dont see any benefits of seperating them into year groups, taking into account the above paragraph and getting to the user folders, there is no need to browse to them - I just map directly to them to manage.

Thoughts - thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,206 Posts
    It's exactly that - teachers wanting to find a particular user's piece of work. It's impossible if all folders are labelled Documents.

If you search this thread, I've posted any easy fix to this without the use of scripts or deleting any files.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's exactly that - teachers wanting to find a particular user's piece of work. It's impossible if all folders are labelled Documents.

If you search this thread, I've posted any easy fix to this without the use of scripts or deleting any files.
    I cant see the easy fix
    @Michael This thread or a different thread?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I cant see the easy fix
    @Michael This thread or a different thread?
    I think its the right click on the collum headers when in list view, click more and select filename. You now have a collum of the actual names.

18. Thanks to SYNACK from:

James_C (21st November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast