+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Sound Does Not Work Since Deploying SP2 in Technical; I have an ongoing situation with a lot of machines since deploying SP2 (Windows XP Pro) Sound is at best ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 877 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sound Does Not Work Since Deploying SP2

I have an ongoing situation with a lot of machines since deploying SP2 (Windows XP Pro) Sound is at best erratic. Sound does not play most of the time. Some (the same spec as mine) stations are unaffected.

Those stations not affected use SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.

Those stations affected use Realtek High Definition Audio. Also whenever I look at the services on these affected stations Windows Audio is disabled. I enable it (Auto Start) and start the service, but even then sound still does not play. All devices are working properly. I have rolled back the driver to no avail. I have downloaded the latest driver, still no good.

Anyone else seen/cured this? I am at my wits end.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Sound Does Not Work Since Deploying SP2

There was a windows driver update which borked this. Often if rolling back the driver does not work I reisnstall and just keep an eye on what updates are applied.

Thank Post

I had a similar problem which turned out to be connected with the hardware abstraction layer (hal32.dll) after a load of messing about i fixed it by running windows repair from my installation cd then re-installing mobo sound drivers. (remember i am a home user with limited knowledge) so this may be completely wrong, just thought it may lead you in the right direction.

Thank Post

My guess would be the High Definition Audio Bus Driver, this is a microsoft driver and is different for SP1 & SP2 (the Realtek High Def audio driver sits on this bus).

Download the latest driver set from the realtek website and expand it out, you should have a MSHDQFE folder navigate to this then Win2K_XP\us , there will be 3x installer packages here that should look like this

kb888111w2ksp4 - This is for Windows 2000 SP4
    kb888111wxpsp1 - This is for Windows XP SP1
    kb888111wxpsp2 - This is for Windows XP SP2

to test the theory run the installer for the sp2 one and see if it cures your problem.

If all is well expand the contents of the update and browse to the commonfiles folder, here yu will find the driver files for the High Definition Audio Bus Driver SP2.

The other machines were not affected because they dont have HD Audio so they didnt have the BUS driver to be messed up.

Hope this helps, do let us know how you get on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCLOnlineTechnical
    My guess would be the High Definition Audio Bus Driver, this is a microsoft driver and is different for SP1 & SP2 (the Realtek High Def audio driver sits on this bus).

Download the latest driver set from the realtek website and expand it out, you should have a MSHDQFE folder navigate to this then Win2K_XP\us , there will be 3x installer packages here that should look like this

kb888111w2ksp4 - This is for Windows 2000 SP4
    kb888111wxpsp1 - This is for Windows XP SP1
    kb888111wxpsp2 - This is for Windows XP SP2

to test the theory run the installer for the sp2 one and see if it cures your problem.

If all is well expand the contents of the update and browse to the commonfiles folder, here yu will find the driver files for the High Definition Audio Bus Driver SP2.

The other machines were not affected because they dont have HD Audio so they didnt have the BUS driver to be messed up.

Hope this helps, do let us know how you get on.
    Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion, but this has not worked either. I will keep looking.

Thank Post

Damn I would have put my house on that being the problem, Out of interest what version is your microsoft high definition bus driver component?

Try to uninstall the device completetly "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"

and run the sp2 update as above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCLOnlineTechnical
    Damn I would have put my house on that being the problem, Out of interest what version is your microsoft high definition bus driver component?

Try to uninstall the device completetly "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"

and run the sp2 update as above.
    I like your confidence! This has progressed the issue (slightly) The volume slider now moves without having to restart the Windows Audio service. The computer is still recalcitrant insofar as it still will not play any sound of any description. Any more ideas will be welcome.

Thank Post

Did you try uninstalling all the audio devices in Device Manager and then scanning for new hardware? You can then download the latest drivers from Windows Update during the Add New Hardware Wizard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help guys, but now I am back to where I started: Windows Audio disabled. Have a look at the attached pictures to see what I mean. Sure I can start the service and that may or may not give me sound depending upon how 'moody' my computer is today, but I shouldn't have to go in and start services manually (almost) every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

go into the properties of that service and make sure its on automatic and that it automatically starts up and then reboot and see if it starts up by itself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also you wouldnt happen to have any of your own captured MSI packages.
    If so make sure that they aint got any windows system files that were accidently captured on a SP1 box. We had this problem here (DAMN EVIL WININSTALL LE 2000 EDITION) where files such as USB.inf (not exact name) were being packaged and were SP1 build files. Once installed on a SP2 machine all bets were off with devices and the whole system generally being stable ever.
    The joys of SP2 testing...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    go into the properties of that service and make sure its on automatic and that it automatically starts up and then reboot and see if it starts up by itself.
    Hi gecko,

That is part of the problem. I set it to automatic, then after restart it is disabled again (on VERY rare occasions it is not disabled and sound does work. It never stays though and usually drops out before the end of the current logon session :? )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

OK just a quick update to this old posting: This morning sound was enabled on my laptop, and has been working all day. The only change I have made was to allow Arcobat Reader updates to download on Friday. I hibernated my machine last night and had to restart it this morning.

Will sound work tomorrow? Who knows.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Another update: Sound is working pretty much all the time now, except for certain webpages with sound clips embedded. I can also get these to work if I start the Windows Audio Service which is always 'disabled' at startup, even though I keep setting it to 'automatic' Station changes since last post? About 10 Windows updates and Acrobat Reader 8. If it is one, or a combination, of these it/they took a while to kick in: It was about three days after all this [and several restarts] that I noticed that the sound had come back.

Now all I want to do is solve the Windows Audio Service start up problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread