Poll: FSMO roles? Do you seperate yours?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, FSMO roles should be separated across DCs in the domain? in Technical; Originally Posted by sidewinder Hmm...I always make every DC a GC, purely for the reason if theres only one and ...
    Thank Post

Re: FSMO roles should be separated across DCs in the domain?

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Hmm...I always make every DC a GC, purely for the reason if theres only one and it goes belly up you will then not be able to create new objects and apparantly (this is not something ive tested) no-one can log in apart from the domain admin .
    Which isnt exactly fault tolerant, which is part of the point of having multiple DC's
    I know that that definitely isn't right as our GC was down for a few days last year and none of the end users really noticed any problems on the network.

Multiple GCs on one physical local network will cause large amounts of unnescessary traffic as the GCs keep synchronizing. You may need more GCs in a large org with many exchange servers. One GC for every 4 Exchange servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Logins still work with the GC down. You just can't add or delete objects in AD. For a small network, one GC is fine. Unless you have a split site.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    You just can't add or delete objects in AD.
    Im not sure that is neccesarily true as the GC holds a copy of all objects in the domain and a subset of other objects in a multi domain environment.
    The behaviour you describe is probably as an indirect result of other mischief elswhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was describing what happens when the GC is down.

Thank Post

Redmond says:

General recommendations for FSMO placement
    • Place the RID and PDC emulator roles on the same domain controller. Good communication from the PDC to the RID master is desirable as downlevel clients and applications target the PDC, making it a large consumer of RIDs. It is also easier to keep track of FSMO roles if you cluster them on fewer machines.

If the load on the primary FSMO load justifies a move, place the RID and primary domain controller emulator roles on separate domain controllers in the same domain and active directory site that are direct replication partners of each other.
    • As a general rule, the infrastructure master should be located on a nonglobal catalog server that has a direct connection object to some global catalog in the forest, preferably in the same Active Directory site. Because the global catalog server holds a partial replica of every object in the forest, the infrastructure master, if placed on a global catalog server, will never update anything, because it does not contain any references to objects that it does not hold. Two exceptions to the "do not place the infrastructure master on a global catalog server" rule are: • Single domain forest:

In a forest that contains a single Active Directory domain, there are no phantoms, and so the infrastructure master has no work to do. The infrastructure master may be placed on any domain controller in the domain, regardless of whether that domain controller hosts the global catalog or not.
    • Multidomain forest where every domain controller in a domain holds the global catalog:

If every domain controller in a domain that is part of a multidomain forest also hosts the global catalog, there are no phantoms or work for the infrastructure master to do. The infrastructure master may be put on any domain controller in that domain.

• At the forest level, the schema master and domain naming master roles should be placed on the same domain controller as they are rarely used and should be tightly controlled. Additionally, the domain naming master FSMO should also be a global catalog server. Certain operations that use the domain naming master, such as creating grand-child domains, will fail if this is not the case.

Most importantly, confirm that all FSMO roles are available using one of the management consoles (such as Dsa.msc or Ntdsutil.exe).

More info here... http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;223346

In short.... if you only have one domain then don't worry about it too much... as long as you know what needs to be done if (when) your PDC goes walkies!!

Thank Post

OK, about the GC's
    So it wouldnt be such a huge problem is everyone could still log in
    But not being able to create objects is still a pretty big problem

How easy would it be if your GC went down, to promote another DC to it?
    Would it be as easy as going into sites and services and making another one a GC?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Would it be as easy as going into sites and services and making another one a GC?
    Yes It *should* be as easy as that.

Thank Post

Excellent
    Ill do some testing and then maybe go back to one GC if all goes well
    Anything to cut down on replication traffic is welcome

Thank Post

If i have installed an additional DC into a single forest and single domain environment when i dcpromo the main dc will this then transfer the fsmo's or would i need to sieze the roles first. I ask this as i need to do this soon, and i have no room for downtime.

Will downing the first DC cause a problem of no one able to log in as i will need to re-install server 2003?

Sorry for jumping on this post but it came up just at the time i started thinking about this.

Thank Post

You should always try and do everything gracefully and transfer the roles nicely first.

Thank Post

Seconded.. and don't forget DHCP or any boxes with static DNS server entries that might be pointing to the original DC.

Thank Post

Ok great thanks. I have backed up the dhcp db and will restore it onto the second server just before it goes down. This will be the first time i have moved a dhcp from one machine to the other.

The DNS entries on the main server as far as i know are all dynamic. How can i tell if they are manually entered ones?

The entries are also a bit messed up since there are entries on there from the previous domain structure (before i got here) which is one of the reasons why i am rebuilding it. Plus there are a lot of things that have been implemented and i'm not sure whether we need these.
    A fresh start is what i feel is needed.

Thank Post

Hello all,

I have been looking at restoring active directory through a non-authoratitive point and have run into a problem. I am testing this through 2 VMs in parallels on a MBP. I have backed up the system state and then down the primary DC after i have transferred the roles (i have not made the second DC a GC though) and re-installed Server 2003.

Now i did not re-add the server to the domain as i read that it can be done on a stand-alone server on the technet site.

So i continued to enter the directory restore mode and restored the system state, but when it asked to restart the machine all that happens is when the server should get to the server loading screen it just restarts.

I have caught a glimpse of a blue screen once but it was so fast that i never got to read it.

What could be the problem?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eejit
    Multiple GCs on one physical local network will cause large amounts of unnescessary traffic as the GCs keep synchronizing. You may need more GCs in a large org with many exchange servers. One GC for every 4 Exchange servers.
    I know this was an old discussion but Ive just been reading on Technet about GC's and came across this link

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

The first paragraph says:
    "Global catalog placement requires planning except if you have a single-domain forest. In a single-domain forest, configure all domain controllers as global catalog servers. Because every domain controller stores the only domain directory partition in the forest, configuring each domain controller as a global catalog server does not require any additional disk space usage, CPU usage, or replication traffic. In a single-domain forest, all domain controllers act as "virtual global catalog servers" in that they can all respond to any authentication or service request. This special condition for single-domain forests is by design"

So it seems multiple GC's shouldnt create any additional traffic
    Anyone else heard this advice before?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12