+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, USBDLM Issue - Restricting number of USB Devices in Technical; I am currently testing USBDLM v4.4.2 to allow a select group of computers / users to use USB pen drives. ...

Thank Post

USBDLM Issue - Restricting number of USB Devices

I am currently testing USBDLM v4.4.2 to allow a select group of computers / users to use USB pen drives.

I’ve managed to successfully deploy and install the MSI via GPO, and used Group Policy Preference > Files to copy / update (the configuration file) usbdlm.ini file across to the required computer.

My initial issue was with U3 Pen Drives, being allocated 2 drives letters, i.e. a virtual cd-rom drive. But after reading the help section on the website I have resolved that with the appropriate settings in the .ini file.

The problem I have now is although I have configured the .ini file to only allocate and use 1 drive letter when a USB device is connected, (which works fine when a single USB pen drive is connected) if an additional USB pen drive is inserted it too is allocated a drive letter (next overall available windows drive letter) which means that any Software Restrictions in the GPO I have set does not apply (as the 2nd USB pen drive is on a different drive letter) and full access is gained to the USB pen drive.

Is there a configuration setting I have missed? Or I am hoping too much from this very good piece of free software?
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 12th January 2010 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    From what I've seen of USBDLM I don't think this is possible. I suppose you could configure it to use a range of driver letters (e.g. W,X,Y,Z) since I doubt anyone would connect more than four USB flash drives/card readers at any one time and then duplicate your path rules for these drive letters. Alternatively you could use certificate or hash rules which will work no matter what the drive letter is but these have their own set of issues too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Just thought of a different way you could do this using the setting below (although it's not ideal)...

Code:
    [DriveLetters]
    Letter1=C:\USB\%VolumeLabel%
    This will force USBDLM to use folders as mount points for USB devices rather than individual drive letters. While you could create a path rule that denies all .exe's (for example) from C:\USB and its sub-folders, it might confuse users if they have to look for a folder rather than a drive letter. Also, if you have hidden the C: drive this will not work either.

Thank Post
    Just thought i would let you know that i have resolved this problem.

In the .ini file i have only listed 1 drive letter to be allocated to USB devices, but as previously mentioned if you add another one (or more) they are allocated a drive letter (next available windows drive letter) to get around this i configured the .ini file as follows:

[DriveLetters]
    Letter1={enter required drive letter here}
    Letter2=-

This now means the Software Restriction in the GPO will be applied to the one and only USB Drive letter.

The biggest issue i am having now, which i am surprised has not been discussed much, is despite setting up Software Restriction to stop programmes / executables from running, if the USB contains a ZIP file (that contains restricted files, .exe, .msi etc) they are able to be run. This is due to the ZIP Folders facility in Window XP (upwards).

The only workaround i have found so far is to unload the zip folders .dll and rename it (to stop it re-running) and/or set the Software Restriction path to include %temp% and %tmp%.

My god, USB devices cause so much hassle!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread