+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Driver Advice in Technical; That's it I'm at the end of my tether. Can any of you kind gents help? I have a bunch ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Driver Advice

That's it I'm at the end of my tether. Can any of you kind gents help?

I have a bunch of new Toshiba Windows 7 Laptops. I need to put Windows XP on them. Toshiba's website does not have the relevent drivers for the model. The Laptops do come with XP downgrade/restore disks.

So, I had an idea. I installed XP on one of the laptops and used 'Driver Magic Lite' to extract the drivers from the Toshiba XP install . Works a treat but my XP base build has two unknown PCI devices that I cant seem to get the drivers to install for. I think one is a RAID controller and the other is the HD Audio device.

I've tried downloading the ATI Catalyst driver for the ATI HDMI Audio driver but it refused to install on the XP machine. I tried to download the HDMI driver from Realteks website, but no joy.

I've tried 'Driver Genius' but that needs paying for to update drivers and although will extract drivers only the Network and Graphics drivers can be auto installed on a fresh build. Grrr.

Anyone got any clever Ideas as to how I can get all the working drivers out of the Toshiba XP laptop and into the fresh build XP laptop.

Living up to my scottish surname - I don't want to pay for the answer

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    I know this may seem obvious, but have you tried going through 'Update Driver' in Device Manager so that Windows checks the Windows Update site for a usable driver? I've had some luck with this in the past...

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

tmcd35 (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, tried that and no joy

Thank Post
    Have you tried making a XP cd with DriverPacks.net and AutoImage?

I regulaly build CDs and RIS images with it and it tends to pick up 99% of devices. iirc theres also a way to build a post-XPinstall installer so that you can test if it does indeed pick up teh devices.

6. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    Hi,

What about using the restore cd on a different machine to downgrade from Windows 7.0 to XP then look in device manager to see what the device is and from there you should also be able to locate the driver or at least help you work out what the exact device is.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Within Device Manager right click a hardware item and choose Properties, then click the Details tab.

In the window below it will display PCI\VEN_8086.... try entering this into Google. You can get some interesting results and possible links to XP drivers.

9. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Have you tried making a XP cd with DriverPacks.net and AutoImage?

I regulaly build CDs and RIS images with it and it tends to pick up 99% of devices. iirc theres also a way to build a post-XPinstall installer so that you can test if it does indeed pick up teh devices.
    TBH, I was looking for a quicker/simpler/easier (eh em, cut corners ) solution. That said, the amount of time I spent at this now It've been quicker creating a new XP image with the drivers slipstreamed. Oh-hum. If I can't find another why I'd probably give DriverPacks a go tomorrow.

What about using the restore cd on a different machine to downgrade from Windows 7.0 to XP then look in device manager to see what the device is and from there you should also be able to locate the driver or at least help you work out what the exact device is.
    That's essentially what I'm doing. I have know what the drivers are, I just can't seem to find suitable downloads for them. The joke is that they are right their and working on the downgrade install. And I can rip them out. I just can't get these two devices to take the drivers back in.

I was hoping for a third party program like Driver Genius, only free, that would rip the drivers out of one machine and restore them into the other.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Within Device Manager right click a hardware item and choose Properties, then click the Details tab.

In the window below it will display PCI\VEN_8086.... try entering this into Google. You can get some interesting results and possible links to XP drivers.
    One of the first things I tried. The results coming back where for Network and WiFi - both of which are installed and working thanks to 'Driver Magic'.

I've done some digging and I'm 99.9% sure one of them is the HD Audio and the other is a RAID controller.

Realteks website won't initiate a download, I'll try again from home and the ATI Catalyst software is just plain shite. I only want the audio. The other device can be perminatly disabled for all I care!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Use SIW, Everest or something along those lines to find out exactly what hardware is installed and it should list everything and from there you should be able to establish exactly what you need to download driver wise - as per screen grab

In SIW If you Select PCI down the left side and down the right it should load all relevant items - there are other sections ( obviously )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    On the odd occasion sometimes manually installing the INF instead of using setup will work, as the setup file can be programmed to work only for certain operating systems.

Thank Post
    We had a Toshiba Satellite Pro L450-13R which came with Windows 7 which we managed to install XP on. A lot of the Win 7 drivers from the Toshiba website worked fine although it was a lot of trial and error The rest of the drivers we got from the manufacturers websites. Dunno if that helps at all

15. Thanks to Joh619 from:

Thank Post
    Try drivergrabber - Driver Grabber - download tag - page 1 - Softpedia. Not failed me yet!

17. Thanks to clareq from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    TBH, I was looking for a quicker/simpler/easier (eh em, cut corners ) solution. That said, the amount of time I spent at this now It've been quicker creating a new XP image with the drivers slipstreamed. Oh-hum. If I can't find another why I'd probably give DriverPacks a go tomorrow.

The RIS bit of it can be a royal PITA but the CD bit usually works first time no problems. And you generally get around 12-18 months use out of it before the CD becomes out of date.

Dont know if you've tryed it before but driverpacks doesnt mae you manually download all the packs, the "dp_base.exe" does it all for you, throw it into Autoimage... 20mins of user intervention, tops.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joh619 View Post
    We had a Toshiba Satellite Pro L450-13R which came with Windows 7 which we managed to install XP on. A lot of the Win 7 drivers from the Toshiba website worked fine although it was a lot of trial and error The rest of the drivers we got from the manufacturers websites. Dunno if that helps at all
    Thanks John - probably the best reply yet. Actually didn't think of that.

Would you believe the lappy I'm having problems with is a Satellite Pro L450D? Any way. I'd give the Win7 drivers a download from Tosh's website and see what happens.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    We got 17 Tosh A10's in the summer and I remember having a bit of trouble with the drivers. Something rings a bell that I needed to install some kind of Microsoft generic bus driver driver before installing the Toshiba Audio driver and only then would it work. Had the same problem with some Lenovo Think Pads. I've got it somwhere, if I can find it, i'll let you know the exact name.

21. Thanks to ronnoco from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast