+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Help needed to reconfig my DC's in Technical; Right here goes nothing as I need some help and advice. We have a server which was one of the ...
    Thank Post

Help needed to reconfig my DC's

Right here goes nothing as I need some help and advice. We have a server which was one of the first servers we had in the school. It it had server 2000 on and was updagraded to 2003 around 3 years ago. This server is not able to cope with the daily strain any more and a new one has been purchased. This old server in question is currently one of 2 DC’s (the other has Exchange on which I know is not recommended) The old server in question holds the FSMO roles, I presume is the global catalogue holder as well. It does DHCP and DNS as well.

Now I want o set up the brand new server to be the main DC. I have read articles in transferring the FSMO roles and it looks simple enough, I have also read articles on moving the DHCP database to another server ans well as articles on moving DNS as well. Now DNS is also on the other DC (which has Exchange on) I have worked out a mini battle plan but would like your advice and opinions who have done similar things.

I plan to do the following,

1, Bring the server online and have it has a member server.
    2, Export the DHCP database from the old DC to this member server( Microsoft advise to import to a member server before promoting to DC) Article Here
    3. Promote the now DHCP member server to a DC
    4, Transfer all 5 FSMO roles to the newly promoted DC
    5, At this point I am unsure about the Global Catalogue
    6, Now this is where I intend to tackle DNS. Do I need to move it to this server or just add DNS to this server and let the zones be replicated from the other 2 DC running DNS? I then intend to change option 006 in DHCP to the new DNS servers, give them then time to replicate this. (Should I just be able to remove DNS from the current DC now?)
    7, I now intend to update the schema to R2.
    8. Then intend to DCPROMO the old DC and eave it just as a member server doing minor functions.

Have I missed anything or should I change any order?

I would also like to configure the 80/20 scope by using another DHCP server in the domain but I will leave this until I have the new server up and running.

Please feel free to give advice and change my mind on a bove, I need allthe help I can get with this.

Thank Post

Re: Help needed to reconfig my DC's

That looks mostly fine:

5. Just make the new DC the GC as well. Doesnt hurt to ahve 2 until you take the other offline.

6. Just install DNS on the new server and let the information replicate accross.

8. I would be tempted to do a clean install if possible on you have made it a member server.

Edit

The information on DHCP looks a bit old. You can just export it using the DHCP console and then use the netsh command to restore as in the article.
    The resultant file is quiete readable and you can add some stuff if you like to save time configuring later. Ofc make a backup first :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Agree with Chris, sounds like you have it sussed there, sounds like what I have done before (minus the exchange as I haven't taken a system with exchange for a walk before)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    (minus the exchange as I haven't taken a system with exchange for a walk before)
    I loose sleep just thinking about that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Quote Originally Posted by john
    (minus the exchange as I haven't taken a system with exchange for a walk before)
    I loose sleep just thinking about that lol
    LOL, I know what you mean hearing about some of the messes that have happened when people have moved things about with and around Exchange. Its another thing on my list to do (which now stands at approx 100000+ things to do ) learn much more about exchange. I made a stard and got the nice big thick MS book on Exchange but thats as far as it got, but its making way for the new Server 2003 R2 book when it arrives in a day or two.

The last one I did with exchange was a SBS machine (so it was god and lord overall ruler) and I followed some KBs and the good MS books on SBS and it was fine, and TBH the exchange only had 10 users on it (remember I am talking SBS here) so I could have just gone into there mailboxes and done a complete outlook backup of everything and re-made it from scratch and I would have survived.

Thank Post

Thanks Guys, I don't really intend to do anything with the Exchange box. I know its a DC and not recommended but that's the only good box we had at the time.

I would like to DCPROMO the Exchange box one day but i have enough in front of me at the mo without complicating things.

Any advice on splitting the scope?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    Any advice on splitting the scope?
    just split it like you said across 2 servers .

Thank Post

its a real shame that dhcp doesn't replicate like dns or wins... the plan looks good to me.. the older dc that your demoting though if its stable it could stay as a dc and authenticate logins rather than the exchange box...

Thank Post

The old server in question holds the FSMO roles, I presume is the global catalogue holder as well. It does DHCP and DNS as well.

Now I want o set up the brand new server to be the main DC. I have read articles in transferring the FSMO roles and it looks simple enough, I have also read articles on moving the DHCP database to another server ans well as articles on moving DNS as well. Now DNS is also on the other DC (which has Exchange on) I have worked out a mini battle plan but would like your advice and opinions who have done similar things.
    I'd check very carefuly if only one of the servers does hold all the FSMO roles as that's not exactly MS recommendend practise ( I can't remember of the top of my head which rolse they're but with 2 DCs it's recomended to have certain ones of differing servers, least when I did my 2000MCSE it may have changed with 2003 so worth checking )

Thank Post

The first DC in a domain is automatically designated as a GC in any case, so it's likely your old server is indeed a holder of the GC. For other DCs you can decide whether they will hold the GC or not using the Active Directory Sites and Services tool. Or- and this is quite good- you can just have a Windows 2003 Server with universal group caching enabled (normally best for remote scenarios but I know some big networks that use it locally).

The rest of your plan (all of it really) looks good to me. But as advised I would make double sure as to who holds the FSMO roles before moving them.

Thank Post

FSMO Role Recomendations
    http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/fsmo.htm
    Placing FSMO Server Roles

So where are these FSMO server roles found? Is there a one to one relationship between the server roles and the number of servers that house them?

The first domain controller that is installed in a Windows 2000 domain, by default, holds all five of the FSMO server roles. Then, as more domain controllers are added to the domain, the FSMO roles can be moved to other domain controllers. Moving a FSMO server role is a manual process, it does not happen automatically. But what if you only have one domain controller in your domain? That is fine. If you have only one domain controller in your organization then you have one forest, one domain, and of course the one domain controller. All 5 FSMO server roles will exist on that DC. There is no rule that says you have to have one server for each FSMO server role.

However, it is always a good idea to have more than one domain controller in a domain for a number of reasons. Assuming you do have multiple domain controllers in your domain, there are some best practices to follow for placing FSMO server roles.

The Schema Master and Domain Naming Master should reside on the same server, and that machine should be a Global Catalog server. Since all three are, by default, on the first domain controller installed in a forest, then you can leave them as they are.
    Note: According to MS, the Domain Naming master needs to be on a Global Catalog Server. If you are going to separate the Domain Naming master and Schema master, just make sure they are both on Global Catalog servers.

The Infratructure Master should not be on the same server that acts as a Global Catalog server.
    The reason for this is the Global Catalog contains information about every object in the forest. When the Infrastructure Master, which is responsible for updating Active Directory information about cross domain object changes, needs information about objects not in it's domain, it contacts the Global Catalog server for this information. If they both reside on the same server, then the Infratructure Master will never think there are changes to objects that reside in other domains because the Global Catalog will keep it contantly updated. This would result in the Infrastructure Master never replicating changes to other domain controllers in it's domain.
    Note: In a single domain environment this is not an issue.

Microsoft also recommeds that the PDC Emulator and RID Master be on the same server. This is not mandatory like the Infrastructure Master and the Global Catalog server above, but is recommended. Also, since the PDC Emulator will receive more traffic than any other FSMO role holder, it should be on a server that can handle the load.

It is also recommended that all FSMO role holders be direct replication partners and they have high bandwidth connections to one another as well as a Global Catalog server.

Thank Post

5, At this point I am unsure about the Global Catalogue
    The new DC should also be a GC
    6, Now this is where I intend to tackle DNS. Do I need to move it to this server or just add DNS to this server and let the zones be replicated from the other 2 DC running DNS? I then intend to change option 006 in DHCP to the new DNS servers, give them then time to replicate this. (Should I just be able to remove DNS from the current DC now?)
    Configure DNS and allow the Zones to replicated, I would also leave DNS on the exchange server and have two DNS servers for the domain.

I would also like to configure the 80/20 scope by using another DHCP server in the domain but I will leave this until I have the new server up and running.
    IMO there is no reason why you cannot configure a 80/20 scope at the outset.

Thank Post

Thanks for all who have taken time to advise/help it is much apprecited. I intend to start this project towards the end of tihs week.
    IMO there is no reason why you cannot configure a 80/20 scope at the outset.
    Anybody point me to any info that will help me reconfigure my already DHCP scope.?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Thank Post

ok all gone well so far.
    Installed New server
    Promoted to DC
    Made new server a GC
    Transferred the FSMO roles from old server
    Installed DNS with successful replication form other DNS serve
    Installed DHCP, imported settings from current DHCP

Now,
    The new DHCP service is currently stopped. I want to now make the new server the DHCP server. What is the best way to do this?

I thought of giving it the old server IP, but i am unsure of the implications.

Basically want i need to know is this.
    What settings do i need to change on current DC/Domain for me to bring the new DHCP online. I thought of giving it the old DHCP servers IP, but i need to give the old server a Dynamic first and release the reservation and i am not sure of the implications. Di i need to DCPromo the old DC before i can use the DHCP on the new server. Are thee any config i need to change ie NTDS settings or similar before i can do this?

Advice please?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast