Poll: Will you be rolling out Windows Defender

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Defender Released in Technical; Windows Defender (formerly Windows Anti-Spyware) is now out of beta and has been released officially on the microsoft security website ...
    Thank Post

Windows Defender Released

Windows Defender (formerly Windows Anti-Spyware) is now out of beta and has been released officially on the microsoft security website.

It is not that much different to beta 2.
    Specific features of Windows Defender include:
    A redesigned and simplified user interface – Incorporating feedback from our customers, the Windows Defender UI has been redesigned to make common tasks easier to accomplish with a warning system that adapts alert levels according to the severity of a threat so that it is less intrusive overall, but still ensures the user does not miss the most urgent alerts.

Improved detection and removal – Based on a new engine, Windows Defender is able to detect and remove more threats posed by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Real Time Protection has also been enhanced to better monitor key points in the operating system for changes.

Protection for all users – Windows Defender can be run by all users on a computer with or without administrative privileges. This ensures that all users on a computer are protected by Windows Defender.

Support for 64-bit platforms, accessibility and localization - Windows Defender supports accessibility and 64-bit platforms. Microsoft will release localized versions including German and Japanese soon after the availability of the English versions. Please be sure to use WindowsDefenderX64.msi for 64-bit platforms.

Delta definition updates - Windows Defender now downloads smaller delta definition updates when possible which reduces the time required to download and install definition updates. Customers can expect shorter download times when updating their definition updates.

Free Limited Support - As a part of our commitment to the security of our customers, free support for installation, configuration, definition update, detection and removal errors will be available for a limited time after download and installation. Please refer to the Windows Defender support policy for more information.

WGA enforcement - There are significant risks to running non-genuine Windows. Only genuine Windows customers can receive product downloads, Windows updates and special offers. Windows Defender will validate that your copy of Windows is genuine before installation. Furthermore, Windows Defender will only remove Severe threats for machines that are not genuine. Low, Medium and High threats will be detected, but not removed unless your copy of Windows is genuine. For more information, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Important Notes
    Windows Defender no longer supports Windows 2000 as it will be out of mainstream support in October 2006. Please refer to the support lifecycle website for more information.
    I have installed it on a couple of PCs and it upgraded from Beta2 without a hitch. Does anyone know if this can be installed silently using the standard msi?

It beats the McAfee solution we use here hands down. If you have never used Windows Defender before I suggest you give it a try.
    * It's free
    * Runs as a service
    * Protects all users - not just admins
    * Updates can be installed through WSUS.

Thank Post

Re: Windows Defender Released

Just wanted to add that it also comes with an administrative template to configure a few settings in Group Policy.
    It only has computer configuration, no user configuration.
    I found the adm in c:\windows\inf after I installed it on a PC

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our users are locked down far too tightly for any spyware to be installed at all.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Our users are locked down far too tightly for any spyware to be installed at all.
    Never say never Webman

Thank Post

My only qualm with it tbh is that when I actually got various malware on my own PC windefender just sat there and didn't pick up on any of it.. Nada, nill, null, zip, zero.. so I'm not entirely sure there's much point..

May put it on a couple of key PC's to see how we go though..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts

Defender will validate that your copy of Windows is genuine before installation.
    Wonderful especially with the false non genuine reports recently.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That only works up to the point the spyware starts exploiting IE bugs.

Thank Post

I think i would like to give it a try on some machine and see how it goes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    My only qualm with it tbh is that when I actually got various malware on my own PC windefender just sat there and didn't pick up on any of it.. Nada, nill, null, zip, zero.. so I'm not entirely sure there's much point..
    Quite true, which [tho not at work] I use multiple ASW [anti-spyware hehe] products at home & on every computer i look at / fix / setup.

Quite ironic when u consider that having multiple AV products is bad

So long as theres the adm u mentioned, it sounds good - ill try it soonish - but spyware problems have ceased since we made the county aware of them and they updated/canged their filtering software accordingly.

Nath.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Just worth noting, (appart from the 551 "visitors" AKA Googlebot, Yahoo Slurp etc) that if you have Windows Live One Care (as I do) that you cannot install Win Defender as its integrated with that.

Thank Post

When I used the beta here at home, it did make my PC slightly slower when it was installed as it had a lot of services running in the background. I don't think i'll be installing just yet onto my network as spyware does not seem to be an issue up to now - heres hoping I aint talked too soon.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    That only works up to the point the spyware starts exploiting IE bugs.
    What's the answer then? Even FireFox isn't compltetly bug free and laptop users won't take kindly to mandatory profiles.

This would probably affect all OSes as the bad guy's aim isn't to own the box as in traditional cracking so LUA won't be an absolute barrier.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

First off our users can't run executables from USB removable disks or their work area. Next line of defence is the proxy server which prevents them accessing most sites that are likely to contain threats. No ActiveX, and not allowed to install or enable third-party IE extensions. Anything else is caught by Symantec. In the past 4 years the network has been running, we've (touch-wood) never had a single infection of spyware or a virus.

Thank Post

Yes Craig I forgot about Software Restriction Ploicies applied to a user profile (or home area for *nix).

The problem is laptops. How is a teacher going to setup a home Internet connection or a printer unless they have admin rights. If they download drivers etc the would probably save it the SFX archive to the desktop. SRP won't allow them to unpack the necssary files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Even FireFox isn't compltetly bug free
    Firefox isn't part of the OS therefore your limiting anything incoming to trashing user owned files and processes. It doesn't understand ActiveX either. So it's a good starting point. Additionally you may wish to disable Javascript. That gets you a long way towards a safer enviroment.

However, none of this is a good substitute for educating your users about safe browsing habits.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread