+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Migrating a DC to new Hardware in Technical; You could have a look at.. ..the VMWare Converter beta (not that I think the VMs are useful here). This ...

Thank Post

Re: Migrating a DC to new Hardware

You could have a look at..
    ..the VMWare Converter beta (not that I think the VMs are useful here). This is the successor to P2V & Importer, the "Starter Edition" does plenty and will be free.

I have done this for a few RM connect 2.4 customers
    W2K=CC3=significant investment in existing AD.

I don't see why de-CC3ing a domain would be that difficult. Building all your workstations into a new OU structure (with RIS or whatever) and sorting out your GPOs are the painful bits.

Thank Post

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the updates, yes its true that RM is a pain sometimes and we are looking at moving away from them. Give the time considerations at this point we can't do this just yet.

The strange thing is that RM has a engineer that comes out and does the same thing as you - images the server (i think sector by sector) and restores the image to another hardware be it different. Now there are tools that will do this i.e. Acronis True Image and Symantec BackupExec System Recovery. I've been talking to our LEA team about this and they are working with RM to get trained so they can do the migrations. Now their cost is no where near the cost of what RM are quoting me on.

I also suggested to them that if they purchase one of the above products and try it they can use the software and do the migrations at various schools and recoup the license once the migration is completed.

Looking at all the docs of the two products it does state that it can be used for hardware migrations and does support DC migration (moving to different hardware) as well which is why it shouldn't be that difficult to do this.

I do appreciate the different ways to do this and as someone else said in another post that this forum provides many answers and not just one.

Good stuff!

Ashok.

Thank Post

they are working with RM to get trained so they can do the migrations
    Intruiging.. would that be because they think they need the training[1] or does the person doing it have to be formally trained by RM so you don't break the support contract?

It's not rocket-science. Best training is to just research and do it on a "lab bench" a couple of times (start with the manual methods, so you understand and have a better chance of fixing anything that goes wrong with Acronis|whatever).

Thank Post

Hi,

I think its because so they don't break the contract more than anything else. These guys are pretty cleaver but they need to get trained up with RM way of doing things that all. Daft but there you go.

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12