+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Youtube videos in powerpoint in Technical; Hi Was just wondering, we get a lot of the time staff asking us to insert videos from youtube into ...

Thank Post

Youtube videos in powerpoint

Hi

Was just wondering, we get a lot of the time staff asking us to insert videos from youtube into their powerpoints for assemblies and the like. I know you can just have a hyperlink in the powerpoint and play the video like that but we try not to rely on the internet for the assemblies as you just know it will probably fall over and then you have 200 people staring at you!

What we do is rip the video from youtube as an flv (im sure everyone knows how to), convert that flv to avi or mpg and then insert that file into the powerpoint. Is what we are doing legal? Does it matter we are an educational establishment? we have an ERA+ licence as well as the licence that allows you to play dvds in schools but none of those i dont think cover ripping videos from youtube. thanks for any light you can shed.

Thank Post
    Download Any Video Converter Free
    Downloads from a YouTube link and converts to a variety of formats and is the best I've come across.

Thank Post
    Hi sorry, I know how to convert and so on (although I havent come across that software so thanks for that), my post was about the legality of what we are doing (and I presume not just us but loads of other people).

Thank Post
    I would imagine its not legal but lets see what other people think.

Thank Post
    It's against their Terms of Service - we have this argument with staff frequently. "Why won't you download it for me? Everyone else is doing it!". The difference is at work we're doing it as a representative of the school, and no matter how daft we may think it is, however much we may do it as an individual, we have to follow the letter of the law.

"You agree not to access User Videos (as defined below) for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Services, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user."

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Thank Post
    it didnt occur to me to look at the terms of service ...doh!

very interesting, so you can only stream the video, if you wanted to download it you would have to obtain youtube written consent.

its the old argument though isnt it as you say Diello, thousands (maybe millions) do it whats the chances of us getting caught playing a 2 minute clip in an assembly?

Thank Post
    I know you said that you did not want rely on the internet in an assembly, however rather than having a link in the power point you can still embed the object in he powerpoint and it still stream from the internet, therefore not breaking youtube's terms of service.

Here is how we do it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkELAkXjdG4"]YouTube- Streaming Videos in Powerpoint[/ame]

Thank Post
    cool tip thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    It's against their Terms of Service - we have this argument with staff frequently. "Why won't you download it for me? Everyone else is doing it!". The difference is at work we're doing it as a representative of the school, and no matter how daft we may think it is, however much we may do it as an individual, we have to follow the letter of the law.

"You agree not to access User Videos (as defined below) for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Services, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user."

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    What about if your actually legally allowed to show it normally due to DVD/music licenses ect couldn't you download it anyway since I'm assuming that would override their ToS? and not taking into effect that if the videois a copyright vio or anything

Thank Post
    What about this then? You upload a video you produce and accidentally delete your copy. You cannot then in theory download another copy from You Tube since it does not belong to you. Wasn't there a moan a while back about YouTube owning the content once it was uploaded to their site or was this retracted in the end? and if this still stands, where would you stand on the legality side?

I've never uploaded anything to YouTube so not even sure if you can't download your own vids on login

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can download a MP4 copy, but not the raw uploaded file which i thought you used to be able to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread