+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, The basics we forget to teach in Technical; i actually had a teacher complain that the internet wasn't working because she didn't know how to get to google!...
    Thank Post
    i actually had a teacher complain that the internet wasn't working because she didn't know how to get to google!

Thank Post
    The difference between the address bar and a search box. (OK most browsers now automatically search on terms put in the address bar, but it can't help to explain)

Difference between logging off and shtting down (come on, how many people shutdown the computer when you ask them to log off instead of just logging off?)

Volume control, how to check that the right volumes are turned up (Big problem when people try and play DVDs on their laptop and the laptops only turned up a small bit, so they turn the speakers up loads to compensate so there's then loads of hiss in the background)

Using the 'pages from and to' option when printing a PDF or other big document so you only need print the pages you actually need insted of the whole document - most of which then ends up in the bin. You'll be shocked at the number of people who don't know how to do this.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Emptying the recycle bin after deleting files (or shift+delete).
    How to remap their home drive. (+ how to check they are connected to the network)
    Changing proxy settings (if allowed) to use home internet.
    Right click on the scroll bar (for instance on the right hand side of IE) and clicking "scroll here" instead of scrolling all the way down the page.
    Click in a folder then type the first letter of the file you are looking for to move to files starting with that letter.
    Tabs in internet explorer.
    Using rules to help sort email (might be a bit advanced).

What applications open what files - For instance:

Using windows explorer to find files then opening them from there (so the right app opens by default) rather than opening a random application, searching for a file of a different type and wondering why it wont open.

4. Thanks to superfletch from:

UnknownStuntman (10th December 2009)

Thank Post
    TAB- as in use TAB to move between fields like on the login screen and when completing forms online.

Reduce your mouse miles with TAB !

Also navigate your PC without a mouse?

Thank Post
    Press F1 if you don't know how to do someting in Office (or almost any other Windows program) instead of asking your systems administrator.

If you can't find what you need by using the F1-key, try Google instead of asking your systems administrator.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    They can google in the google toolbar, without googling google then going to google and googling.
    Surely googling google breaks the internet?

My biggest bugbear is when they don't know how to lock a computer, CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Lock Computer. Too many times in a day I can walk passed a classroom and see an unattended room and computer unlocked, which presents access to Staff directories, files, shared area, SIMS (which is also commonly left logged in) and who knows what else. Get that little piece of knowledge in early, and emphasise it with what they're making available to students by walking out of a room with their computer unlocked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwba View Post
    the amount of times ive done lessons in using the scanner for staff, but it doesnt matter how many times you show them how to use it, because they just want someone else to do it for them lol
    That and photocopiers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    Right click on the scroll bar (for instance on the right hand side of IE) and clicking "scroll here" instead of scrolling all the way down the page.
    I must admit I never knew that one, very useful

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Emptying the recycle bin after deleting files (or shift+delete).
    Absolutlely
    How to remap their home drive. (+ how to check they are connected to the network)).
    Too advanced... I'd rather they didn't get confused with this one
    Changing proxy settings (if allowed) to use home internet.).
    I'd save this for a how to use your laptop at home session
    Right click on the scroll bar (for instance on the right hand side of IE) and clicking "scroll here" instead of scrolling all the way down the page.)
    Click in a folder then type the first letter of the file you are looking for to move to files starting with that letter.
    Tabs in internet explorer.).
    Good ones
    Using rules to help sort email (might be a bit advanced).).
    Think it's probably for the internediate users session too

What applications open what files - For instance:

Using windows explorer to find files then opening them from there (so the right app opens by default) rather than opening a random application, searching for a file of a different type and wondering why it wont open.
    Another good one

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    My biggest bugbear is when they don't know how to lock a computer, CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Lock Computer. Too many times in a day I can walk passed a classroom and see an unattended room and computer unlocked, which presents access to Staff directories, files, shared area, SIMS (which is also commonly left logged in) and who knows what else. Get that little piece of knowledge in early, and emphasise it with what they're making available to students by walking out of a room with their computer unlocked.
    Definitely... although it can be a PITA if you are trying to do maintenance/fix a problem and the staff member has gone walkabout

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 972 Posts
    when leaving sticky notes on the server room door when no member of IT staff are available to give more details then I can't logon or there is a problem with my computer , more details required basically.

If you don't restrict the windows key with gpo then maybe some short cuts with the windows key , F3 for searching when you have my computer open and for printing devices have you tried turning it off and on again.

how to zoom or un zoom in IE ie ctrl and scroll

Thank Post
    windows key + pause/break

to get machine name when on the phone!

Thank Post
    We have a Student View DFS share setup that is mapped for all teaching staff to be able to view the students work areas.

I once had lots of teachers coming to me saying, omg pupil X has a full copy of my My Documents please delete them quickly, this happened numerous times, when I went to look for the said documents they were never there, so I blamed it on the teacher not being able to use a computer properly!

Turns out, that when the teacher was browsing the documents of a given pupil and saw the folder named "My Documents" they automatically assumed it was their documents folder not realising that it was just a shortcut that the pupil had created to their own docs. But as we work on Environment variables, when the teacher opened the shortcut it took them to their own documents, thus they though that the pupil had a full copy of their documents, I explained this to them afterwards and they still didn't understand and wanted to make sure that their documents were deleted..........i should have done as they asked and deleted their documents lol!! Duh!!!

D

Thank Post
    Using TAB to go from username to password and then ENTER when logging in...

Instead of username...reach for mouse and click in password...type password...reach for mouse and click...

15. Thanks to CESIL from:

stevenwba (10th December 2009)

Thank Post
    The difference between save and save as! I had a teacher that always saved and didnt save as on px so he did a lesson then next week he would ask me where it had gone and how he could get it back? I explained to him the difference and had no problems since. little things we take for granted but over looked.

I remember going to a college once and they had a basic computer vclass and no word of a lie there was a guy picking up the mouse and pointing it at the screen mumbling to himself... I just walked out as the teacher looked at me in disbelieve!

Thank Post
    Another one I just thought of...

Creating a Word template means more than just saving a .doc file on the server...you can guarantee someone will save an edited version over the top...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast