+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Limit Offline Files for 1 user account in Technical; Originally Posted by Andy_Corrin but how would i specifically set the UNC for the administrative offline folder.... ok i could ...
    AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Corrin View Post
    but how would i specifically set the UNC for the administrative offline folder.... ok i could filter it to a group of people (teachers) but i'd have to use %username% in the unc address so all the computers in the OU wouldnt just sync that 1 persons folder(the person I specified in the address in the GPO)... so surely it would add each teacher that logged onto the laptop??? i maybe wrong.... never messed around too much with filters.

I mean this way would stop pupils home drives from sync'ing, granted.

why oh why isnt there an option client side to specify which users can have offline files!!! haha
    well surely if you are only assigning a specific user the use of offline files. Then that user will only syncronise. hence you dont need to set the administrative offline folder. ?

just a thought...

Thank Post
    Hi Andy,

to be honest I don't know what the difference between them is (when it comes to the offline files issue :-p). What I can say is that once we upgraded the laptop to Vista, we could logon to it as a number of different users and it would only allow offline files for those users that we specifically told it. As Ben mentioned, it looks like a flaw in XP....perhaps they solved it in Vista?!? (Oh my god I can't believe I just typed that :-) ).

Thank Post
    haha it must be a first....

looks like the spent all their time fixing that part and left everything else until friday afternoon

AIT
    Thank Post
    haha it must be a first....

looks like the spent all their time fixing that part and left everything else until friday afternoon
    i believe we are getting side tracked but OMG i cannot believe you said that! lol... did make me smile

Thank Post
    have any of you guys ever setting specific things on the local policy on a client... just wondering the priority that gets placed on the policies... I presume GPO's are processed first and then the local policy? or is it vice versa?

AIT
    Thank Post
    have any of you guys ever setting specific things on the local policy on a client... just wondering the priority that gets placed on the policies... I presume GPO's are processed first and then the local policy? or is it vice versa?
    well your computer policy would over ride the local policy?

Thank Post
    Vista/Win7 probably does cache different users that logon to one laptop, I think the difference will be that it does not show it in the syncronising offline files applet, I'm not sure, just guessing. Surely it's not happening all the time to all the laptops, so the method of resetting via a script will be appropriate for the ones that do. And if you are hell bent on getting it to work via policies the only way would be to create one for each user, this method would still be faster than going to each machine.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 10th December 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    ok, next question then haha... you must be able to set the administrativly assigned offline folders locally somewhere in the REG on the client PC?

what i'm thinkin is...

If i set a GPO on the server to 'do not automatically make redirected folders available offline' to enabled... clean out the cached files on said laptops.... then set in the reg (HKLM) of said laptops the location of 'administrativly assigned offline folders' to sync.... that could work you think? It would certainly stop everyone who logs on from auto adding their redirected my docs (home drive) to the sync list... and if i can set the stuff i DO want to sync locally on each laptop, i can be folder specific as i know who is the owner of each laptop.

My brain is confused! haha

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    Vista/Win7 probably does cache different users that logon to one laptop, I think the difference will be that it does not show it in the syncronising offline files applet, I'm not sure, just guessing. Surely it's not happening all the time to all the laptops, so the method of resetting via a script will be appropriate for the ones that do. And if you are hell bent on getting it to work via policies the only way would be to create one for each user, this method would still be faster than going to each machine.
    i suspect you maybe right that this is the only feasable way to do it server side. I work for a private contractor support primary schools.... so theirs maybe only 16 laptops that need to be setup per site.... i would set it up at every site i visit tho (50+)

I must say, its great this site... the response has been great from you guys

AIT
    Thank Post
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache
    Enabled=1 (dword)

would enable offline files

Thank Post
    is that administrativley assigned offline folders tho?

AIT
    Thank Post
    is that administrativley assigned offline folders tho?
    no

try these

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\NetCache\ExclusionErrorSuppressionList
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\NetCache\ExclusionErrorSuppressionList

File specifications
    The file specifications that you add to the new ExclusionErrorSuppressionList keys are Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path strings. These path strings may incorporate a wildcard character (asterisk) to indicate “match any” at that particular position in the specification.

Each file specification uses the following format:
    \\Server\Share\Folder\Filename.extension
    You can include environment variables, such as the variable %username%, in a specification. A variable is expanded at runtime to the equivalent text value.

try this website: Files that you add to the Offline Files folder on a Windows XP-based computer are synchronized when another person uses the computer

p.s. my brains beginning to hurt now lol

Thank Post
    so that should do it then right?

lets say for example i have a teacher joe.bloggs..... Their laptop is in an OU called 'teacher_laptops' and it has a GPO attached to that OU that has loop-back enabled (so i can minipulate it based on the computer not user) and also has the setting to not auto sync every redirected folder it encounters. Then on joe.bloggs' actual laptop i can add to the registry (in the containers you posted) the folder '\\server\teacher_drives\joe.bloggs'... that will just sync joe.bloggs and nobody else's right?

please tell me thats right haha

AIT
    Thank Post
    so that should do it then right?

lets say for example i have a teacher joe.bloggs..... Their laptop is in an OU called 'teacher_laptops' and it has a GPO attached to that OU that has loop-back enabled (so i can minipulate it based on the computer not user) and also has the setting to not auto sync every redirected folder it encounters. Then on joe.bloggs' actual laptop i can add to the registry (in the containers you posted) the folder '\\server\teacher_drives\joe.bloggs'... that will just sync joe.bloggs and nobody else's right?

please tell me thats right haha
    ye i guess so.... good luck

Thank Post
    Not sure. I have never used loop back processing as I have never fully looked into it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast