+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows update to use WSUS@school and MS@home & force instal in Technical; 1. I'm in the process of connecting staff laptops to the network. I would like the laptops to be able ...
    Thank Post

Windows update to use WSUS@school and MS@home & force instal

1. I'm in the process of connecting staff laptops to the network. I would like the laptops to be able to connect both the school network and internet at when at home, if staff have it.
    So: Is there any way of getting windows to use the school WSUS server whilst connected to school network but use the public Microsoft update when at home.
    I'm thinking of using some kind of script that checks for the presence of the WSUS server and injecting the relevant registy keys but was thought perhaps someone may have done this already or have some advice.

Also:
    2. Is there a way to force windows into installing the updates now, from WSUS (so I can include it in my setup). My xp cd is pretty much full so I can't slip-stream them all. Perhaps a registry entry to fool windows into thinking it has missed a scheduled update and it is set to install on startup if it has?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows update to use WSUS@school and MS@home & force instal

1. No, not in any sensible way. Just make sure they plug them into the school network once a month. The way we get round it here is to do a regular 'service' of teachers laptops. That way we can keep tabs on what state they are getting into and 'retrain' staff as appropriate.

2. Yes.
    Code:
    wuauclt /detectnow

Thank Post

Isn't WSUS GPO-able?

Aren't GPOs meant to deactivate when machine not connected to domain.

You could write a small .net app to change the registry settings between home and school. I have been planning to do something similar for proxy settings. You could use the WMI or netsh to determine if you're at school from you IP settings and then make the registry changes.

The key you need is
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Oh dear have I contradicted myelf

Thank Post

Re: Windows update to use WSUS@school and MS@home & force in

make sure they plug them into the school network once a month
    I feel really strict now, we insist all our 132 staff laptop users have to log in once a week. I always end up chasing the same culprits but to be fare its only around half adozen who seem to have problems.

They have now been told that if they consistently fail to do so they will have to hand their laptops in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@NetworkGeezer: Let me know when you've done that script I 'd be interested in seeing how you managed it the staff here could do with something like that!

Wes

Thank Post

I'm in a primary and I doubt I'd ever get them to bring their laptops in every month never mind every year - I have bigger battles (I'm already seen as the big bad wolf because I tell them off for printing too much!)
    I'm not bothered if they never bring it in but, obviously, they need the updates.
    The script should be fairly simple - just I don't know when WU reads the registry entries. Probably on startup. Is WU a service? (If it is the script could re-start it) I couldn't see it in my services list.

Thank Post

at my last school we called all the laptops in over easter i think it was. i was supprised by the number of staff that couldn't bring there's in coz they had given the laptop to there son/daughter who had taken it to University.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

I call in the laptops every month and audit who brings theirs in and those who don't bother, if after three months the member of staff fails to bring in their laptop for upgrades i discharge all responsibility, after all they are laptops 4 teachers and the policy from the LEA is that they themselves should be responsible for them.
    When the teachers leave they hand them in they get rebuilt and handed on to the next teacher. I find that most are rather compliant as their home computers do not function properly due to viruses etc which they are too lazy to get seen to or they won't spend the money getting them cleaned up, so they have to rely on the laptops.

Thank Post

My xp cd is pretty much full so I can't slip-stream them all.
    Are you doing it some hard manual way then?

I've got it down to a tee really now - gimme a shout on MSN if u want some helpful methods of doing it - wud help u alot i think

All our staff laptops are generally plugged into the network from day to day i.e. various reasons for that, so they never really miss them [except over a holiday period lol but WSUS sorts 'um straight when they get back hehe].

I was thinking about making a tool like that too NetworkGeezer that allowed you to click a button that read "Home" and "work"

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post

Slightly offtopic but relevant given the post about laptops getting "donated" to children, etc...

According to the LEA in North Yorkshire there's plans afoot to tax laptop provision if the staff are using them for personal use rather than school.. it's seen as a benefit or somesuch so you might want to be careful as I understand it the school or staff get taxed if an audit shows the laptops as being used for non-school related activities.

No idea how they work that out but just a thought..

Back on topic.. I too would be interested in such a script although my primary need is now for a proxy on/off switch of sorts... ie: On at school, off at home.. So long as they get the updates somewhere I don't care.. just so long as they do is all.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    Are you doing it some hard manual way then?
    No, I've got it 99% automatic. I either use RIS (if the card supports it) or an xp cd that is built from the same files as the RIS. It then uses the standard automated installs and then I've got some scripts that install some awkward wireless network drivers. Then all it asks for is the machine name and an OU if it can't find an exisitng account. The rest is by AD. But thanks for the offer though.

I would have liked it to slip stream everything (automatically from WSUS). I researched it but couldn't find an easy way. The disk 630MB now, so I can't fit too much more on, so I'll do some manually.

Quote Originally Posted by ontink
    I too would be interested in such a script although my primary need is now for a proxy on/off switch of sorts
    The hi-tec way would be to setup automatic proxy discovery. It basically involves putting a wpad file on your IIS server. You just need to make sure that file isn't being blocked by IIS URL scan tool. Some tutorials on google.
    The low-tec way would be to have 2 registry files. Put one on the server with the reg fragment for proxy on. One on the local system with reg fragment for proxy off.
    Make a batch file, something like this (cant remember if you can use UNC in dos, so may need to map a drive):
    Code:
    IF EXIST \\server\share\proxyon.reg THEN regedit \\server\share\proxyon.reg /s ELSE regedit c:\proxyoff.reg /s
    Make the script run at startup or by double click.

Thank Post

We have the same issue with proxy changing - at the minute we get them to use Firefox at home.

I came across these a while ago but never got round to trying either:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Pro...xychanger.html

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/proxypal.html

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread