+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows Thread, IE7 available in Technical; Have you tried the tool to change what your IE is telling Smile it is? It changes its tag thingy ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Re: IE7 available

Have you tried the tool to change what your IE is telling Smile it is? It changes its tag thingy (I'm having a bad thinking evening so have forgotten what its called) but it presents itself as IE6 instead and solves these issues.

Thank Post

@john: IIRC I did try that but to no avail. I may be wrong.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I know this isn't what you want to hear but my Smile banking works fine with IE7. Are you sure there isn't another problem elsewhere?

Thank Post

How can one upgrade without passing the authentication ?

Thank Post

IE7. Is pants.

Now I've got that off my chest I think it's fair to say it is better than its previous incarnation. The new "see all your tabs at once" view is nice. But it sounds like Apple are dealing with this better with Leopard. So all in- not a bad upgrade for those who use Windows all the time. For Linux or Mac users there is nothing really new that you couldn't do with Firefox or Opera with a few well placed plugins.

:-)

Thank Post

I think the bottom line is that IE6 is installed on all windows PCs whether it is used or not and presents a greater security risk than if IE7 is installed.

The only reason not to install it is if you have a particular programme that won't run in IE7. Even if that is the case it is really the software vendors problem not Microsoft.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by thom
    Even if that is the case it is really the software vendors problem not Microsoft.
    With the greatest of respect... when you have educational software vendors like Granada Learning who think that a product is out of date 3 years after it's released and a school who want to use a product because their schemes of work are based around that product the problem doesn't become the vendors, it becomes yours (the tech on the frontline).

So, whilst it'd be nice to think that vendors would go "Oops, my bad, I'll just fix that for you"... the reality is very different.. Support ping pong anyone?

Thank Post

No sign of an MSI for deployment via Group Policy then? I do not want to deploy it via WSUS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Not a the moment and since the installer is a MS Update rather than a bog standard installer there probably won't be one either. The easiest way to deploy it via GP is to repackage it using the IEAK and run the installer as a startup script.

This is a method that I have tested and it seems to work perfectly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

I am just gonna let WSUS do the rest that I have not done. I have re-imaged the main areas and manually done a lot of key area machines, the rest will just have to take there chances in 9 / 10 days time.

Thank Post

Just installed on a test machine, installed ok, got the updated ADM file from INF directory on test machine and updated server copies.

Got rid of the annoying welcome screen that comes on first use by any user, via group policy.
    Could some one please explain how i do this?

Thank Post

I'm not sure which would be the right area to post such a question. But seeing this seems like a technical forum for IE7, I'll post it here. I've been using IE7 since it was released and I've had a pretty good experience with it but lately my IE7 crashes upon launch, I've reinstalled it and it does the same thing. Crashes the moment it loads the initial configuration page. At times, if I'm using a program that will load IE7 directly to a page, it doesn't crash. It's weird and I'm confused. I've cleared all my tmp and cookies, reinstalled IE7 and it isnt fixing the problem, even disabled all IE7 add-ons and that doesnt fix it either. Am I just screwed and have to reinstall XP or what? xD

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixKatera
    I'm not sure which would be the right area to post such a question. But seeing this seems like a technical forum for IE7, I'll post it here. I've been using IE7 since it was released and I've had a pretty good experience with it but lately my IE7 crashes upon launch, I've reinstalled it and it does the same thing. Crashes the moment it loads the initial configuration page. At times, if I'm using a program that will load IE7 directly to a page, it doesn't crash. It's weird and I'm confused. I've cleared all my tmp and cookies, reinstalled IE7 and it isnt fixing the problem, even disabled all IE7 add-ons and that doesnt fix it either. Am I just screwed and have to reinstall XP or what? xD
    Hello to Florida,

This site and forum is for technical and not so technical type persons who have an involvement in the Educational Sectors in a IT Role.
    This should probably be handled elsewhere but we'll let the sysops decide that.
    Your issue is probably related to the KB925902 MS knee jerk security patch that has taken out literally hundreds of applications.

There are already many posts regarding this so-called security patch that has ruined many a good system (and server) so before you do anything drastic try and remove this patch or update it with one of the other Knee jerk fixes MS has posted since it's premature release.

If your issues have been "apparent" since 04/4/2007 then I would highly suspect that this patch has affected other 3rd party installed applications or plug-ins.

The result is applications are being re-located into memory locations that are reserved for OS DLL's.

Do not however be duped into thinking this patch is not required.
    The ANI cursor threat is serious, serious enough for M$ to release an untested and botched patch out ahead of schedule to millions of users.

I have already seen the effects of this patch, servers have become unstable, reboot themselves, leak memory until the don't work any more, work stations that re-boot as soon as certain webpages are accessed.

The fix is probably as big athreat to your systems as the exploit it was supposed to fix!

Best of luck,

Enjoy Florida, I do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information