+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, My Documents Problem in Technical; Hello all, Recently we have been experiencing a rather strange problem with My Documents, some users after logging on when ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts

My Documents Problem

Hello all,

Recently we have been experiencing a rather strange problem with My Documents, some users after logging on when trying to access my documents the whole machine just freezes, no errors in the event logs, the only way around it problem, is ending explorer, and starting it again. but obviously students/staff don't have access to this, so have to power off and power on again. the strangest thing is, its not specifc to users or computers, one min the user a could use machine 1, it freezes so reboots logs back in and it works, then 5 mins laters once opened some work, they then try to save it the machine freezes again. but user b could use machine 1 and it works fine. it just seems to be totally random, not no1 in the office has a clue why it is happening as there are no errors etc

any ideas people?

thanks in advance

Toby

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    Hello all,

Recently we have been experiencing a rather strange problem with My Documents, some users after logging on when trying to access my documents the whole machine just freezes, no errors in the event logs, the only way around it problem, is ending explorer, and starting it again. but obviously students/staff don't have access to this, so have to power off and power on again. the strangest thing is, its not specifc to users or computers, one min the user a could use machine 1, it freezes so reboots logs back in and it works, then 5 mins laters once opened some work, they then try to save it the machine freezes again. but user b could use machine 1 and it works fine. it just seems to be totally random, not no1 in the office has a clue why it is happening as there are no errors etc

any ideas people?

thanks in advance

Toby
    hmm sounds a bit like the non specific internet problem!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    hmm sounds a bit like the non specific internet problem!
    shutup you! lol

Thank Post
    Are we talking about roaming profiles here?

We get similar issues when too many laptops are using the same access point at once... it all crawls to a standstill and users loose their connection to the servers for a short while, which are where their "My Documents" resides. It never happens on wired connections, I guess because there's always plenty of bandwidth.

Thank Post
    actually where are the user' shares???

its not on samba box is it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Are we talking about roaming profiles here?

We get similar issues when too many laptops are using the same access point at once... it all crawls to a standstill and users loose their connection to the servers for a short while, which are where their "My Documents" resides. It never happens on wired connections, I guess because there's always plenty of bandwidth.
    we are talking about roaming profiles, but not on the laptops, which it normally is where we have problems, when the teachers use 25/30 laptops in a classroom through one access point which has a 100mb connection. its not the roaming profile, as we have set some test students up with local profiles for the last week, still the same problem. the only thing i can think of is folder redirection, but there is no errors at all

Toby

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    actually where are the user' shares???

its not on samba box is it?
    no, on a totally windows box! no linux files servers apart from what the students have set up for there radio network which is in a hut at the corner of the site not connected to the real world! linux is only used for the hosting using kvm, actually works really well.. but then the server thats running 12 vm's has 64gb ram!!

Thank Post
    we had this issue a few weeks ago, random freezing opening my documents no error logs. 2 weeks later the server died.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danlewis3 View Post
    we had this issue a few weeks ago, random freezing opening my documents no error logs. 2 weeks later the server died.
    oh, i forgot to mention, its not just one server, its three different file server's! and i hope they all don't go poop!

Toby

Thank Post
    we replaced our servers with some 1tb ready NAS boxes and we have had no freezing at all now.

get wireshark on the switches to see if anything is broadcasting

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danlewis3 View Post
    we replaced our servers with some 1tb ready NAS boxes and we have had no freezing at all now.

get wireshark on the switches to see if anything is broadcasting
    allready done that, nothing's broadcasting, apart from securus occasionly when we accidentally unplug the box, the server's themselves are not that old, 2 years at most, but havn't been here that long so am not sure, but they are all hp dl380 g5's

toby

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    we are talking about roaming profiles, but not on the laptops, which it normally is where we have problems, when the teachers use 25/30 laptops in a classroom through one access point which has a 100mb connection. its not the roaming profile, as we have set some test students up with local profiles for the last week, still the same problem. the only thing i can think of is folder redirection, but there is no errors at all

Toby
    Is the problem only with laptops?

30 laptops sharing (assuming 802.11n) a 55mbps connection is, well SLOOOOoooowwwww. Bin there, done that - refuse to buy another t-shirt (no wifi laptops here ).

It sounds like a bandwidth issue, even if it is occuring on desktops as well.

How meny users total? Whats the spec of the file server? How fast are the hard drives? What speed is the servers LAN connection? How meny switch hops between the effected machines and the server? What are the speed and contention ratio's of the links between the the effected machines and servers?

I'd bet the answer to your problems is in there somewhere.

EDIT: another thought (based on the Wireshark suggestion above). Do you switches support 'Spanning Tree Protocol'? And is it turned on? If they do and it is turned on - check for a network loop, cable plugged between to LAN sockets, near the effected PC's.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 7th December 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Is the problem only with laptops?

30 laptops sharing (assuming 802.11n) a 55mbps connection is, well SLOOOOoooowwwww. Bin there, done that - refuse to buy another t-shirt (no wifi laptops here ).

It sounds like a bandwidth issue, even if it is occuring on desktops as well.

How meny users total? Whats the spec of the file server? How fast are the hard drives? What speed is the servers LAN connection? How meny switch hops between the effected machines and the server? What are the speed and contention ratio's of the links between the the effected machines and servers?

I'd bet the answer to your problems is in there somewhere.

EDIT: another thought (based on the Wireshark suggestion above). Do you switches support 'Spanning Tree Protocol'? And is it turned on? If they do and it is turned on - check for a network loop, cable plugged between to LAN sockets, near the effected PC's.
    nope its happens on both, but more on pc's, but thats only beacuse we have twice as many computers as laptops, the server's all have 1gb network connections, first thing we did was change the network lead, all the machines have 100mb connections. there is no networks cable loop backs and stp is enabled, accidentally did that a few weeks ago, and it went proper mental!

1000 machines, 1500 users spread across 3 file servers, 2 are dl380 g5's dual quad core, 6gb ram. the other is quad core dl380 g4 6gb ram. they are all scsi hard disks 7200rpm. all machines in the school/apart from a handful go through HP/nortel switches then into the backbone and connected to the server, its not specific to parts off the school, had all the fibre tested recently and was ok/if not then cables that where not ok where replaced.

Thank Post
    We think we have found the problem. McAfee oas was set to scan everything on read aswell as write, and was timing out scanning shortcuts, therefore any user with a shortcut in there my docs/profile was experiencing slow logins aswell as explorer freezing on access

Thank Post
    having not fixed the problem with removing the mcafee we spent even longer looking into it, and last friday we spent the day looking at it, one of the things we tried was turning off securus, o and it worked 3 months of looking into it wasted! rang securus and they said o yeah, we know about the problem and are working on it... nice of them to tell us!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast